Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 AM

52 posts, read 49,747 times

Advertisements

To everyone who commutes with NJ transit trains, how bad it really is? Just went over few online articles stating people are often standing, there are less cars per trains due to slow repair process (apparently over 200 cars are just standing and waiting to be repaired), trains are delayed all the time... how true is that? Is it mostly like that or it gets better during spring/summer/fall?

NJ Transit trains canceled, delayed (again) Thursday | NJ.com

NJ Transit back on schedule after overhead wire problems caused delays in and out of Penn Station New York | abc7ny.com

Residual NJ TRANSIT Delays Following Amtrak Overhead Wire Problems « CBS New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
It's complicated.

It generally works. It can easily go awry. Also, while we all complain about NJT, plenty of the things that go wrong truly aren't anything they have the power to fix. The train maintenance issue is probably the only one, and while some of the trains are unsightly and there are occasional breakdowns I think most of the other issues are more likely to create the widespread delays.

This year, so far, has been worse than normal that's for sure. Normally problems aren't a day to day issue. Also, I'm not sure what the news was talking about this morning, because my train was actually the earliest it's been so far this year.

With my experience during the 'Summer of Hell' not being bad, I wonder if offloading more people to ferries might make sense. (The fare structure for the ferries would have to change a lot, of course.)

Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I commuted by NJ Transit trains for almost four decades.

Most of the time, they were the very best way to travel. A comfortable commute, usually on time, although things always do happen from time to time. Rarely were people standing, as a rule. Sometimes there were weather issues that caused crowding, or an equipment breakdown, but it wasn't even a weekly occurrence.

There is a problem with the North River Tunnels and their equipment and the electrical system. That's not going to heal itself, and there's not an easy fix. A new tunnel and major overhauls of the existing systems are needed, as well as related projects, some of which, like the Portal Bridge, are already happening.

As a person who spent her career in public transportation contracting, let me assure you that it's not the fault of the employees at NJ Transit or Amtrak or the Port Authority or any other agency not doing their job. It is the politicians who declare what will or won't get done by virtue of the board members they appoint to run these agencies and to do WHAT WILL WORK OUT BEST FOR THE POLITICAL CAREERS OF THE POLITICIAN TO WHOM THEY HAVE ATTACHED THEMSELVES. As we all know, politicians are in a position for four or six or eight years max. Understand that they honestly do not give a flying **** about what the public might need ten or twenty years down the road, unless they can get points for it that will further a potential political career.

Remember this the next time you are blaming a career employee at an given agency for something not being done for decades while you simultaneously elbow and shove other people out of the way to be the first to lick the butt of your current favorite politician.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... Rarely were people standing, as a rule. Sometimes there were weather issues that caused crowding, or an equipment breakdown, but it wasn't even a weekly occurrence....
It can vary depending on the train line. I rode the NE corridor from New Brunswick to NYC for 3 years. Standing was incredibly common. Many times the train was full by the time it arrived in New Brunswick and I would have to stand. Forget about the folks trying to get on in Metuchen, Edison, MetroPark, Linden, etc. On the way home, if you knew how to play the Penn Station game, I could get a seat, but there were oodles of folks who had to stand until you got to Newark. Enough people would transfer, freeing up seats. It was a pretty crappy commute.

Of course, several years later when I had to start taking buses from Port Authority, I finally realized how great I had it on the train! Buses are the absolute worst!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
It can vary depending on the train line. I rode the NE corridor from New Brunswick to NYC for 3 years. Standing was incredibly common. Many times the train was full by the time it arrived in New Brunswick and I would have to stand. Forget about the folks trying to get on in Metuchen, Edison, MetroPark, Linden, etc. On the way home, if you knew how to play the Penn Station game, I could get a seat, but there were oodles of folks who had to stand until you got to Newark. Enough people would transfer, freeing up seats. It was a pretty crappy commute.

Of course, several years later when I had to start taking buses from Port Authority, I finally realized how great I had it on the train! Buses are the absolute worst!
Could you elaborate more on the buses? I took a test bus drive to Leonia the other day, and it was a breeze, yes, some traffic getting out of the city but it took no more than 40 mins maybe 45. I guess it depends where you go with the bus? North vs. south NJ?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post

I never used the NEC line, so I'll take your word for it. I've been on the Bergen/Main lines, the Boonton Line, and finally the NJCL.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeem View Post
Could you elaborate more on the buses? I took a test bus drive to Leonia the other day, and it was a breeze, yes, some traffic getting out of the city but it took no more than 40 mins maybe 45. I guess it depends where you go with the bus? North vs. south NJ?
Like the train, busses are fine unless they aren't. If you leave early in the morning from that area 40 minutes is normal, but if there's an accident on the express bus lane or the tunnel gets backed up, can easily add another 20 minutes (like yesterday morning). Going home is usually fine though, except from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Like the train, busses are fine unless they aren't. If you leave early in the morning from that area 40 minutes is normal, but if there's an accident on the express bus lane or the tunnel gets backed up, can easily add another 20 minutes (like yesterday morning). Going home is usually fine though, except from Thanksgiving to New Years.
This makes sense -- thanks.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Bottom line the Hudson tunnels needs long overdue extensive repair. All the money wasted on leasing Amtrak line could've been used on the new gateway tunnels. The US pioneered railroads during the industrial revolution and now we don't even have a world class system vs 3rd world countries. Indians from India are shocked at the price of one way fare from Edison to NYC.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:00 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Bottom line the Hudson tunnels needs long overdue extensive repair.
When one of the 100+ year old Hudson River RR tunnels finally collapses--with one or more trains filled with commuters in the tunnel--will our current administration in DC continue to try to disavow its culpability?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...aginably-worse

In ancient Rome, Nero allegedly fiddled while Rome burned.
In our Brave New World, our esteemed POTUS is tweeting and spending time on other non-productive tasks while simultaneously ignoring a huge problem that threatens the economy of the NYC Metro area, as well as the lives of people who have no choice but to ride NJ Transit and Amtrak trains into NYC.

How much longer can this looming problem be ignored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey