Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 58,276 times

Advertisements

Looking to move from Buffalo NY to Bergen County NJ for my husband’s new job. A friend suggested we look in Oradell and Rivers Edge. Price range is 700-800k for home. We have a son who will be a sophomore in high school. Can anyone tell me what the reputation of the high school is? I believe the name is River Dell. We are looking for a friendly community with a small downtown and things to do nearby. We don’t need a large house or yard because son will be going to college in a few years. Just need friendly neighbors and teens. Strong academics, but not crazy rigorous high school. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 06:21 PM

344 posts, read 242,997 times
I would check out Ridgewood as well. They have a great downtown, high school is rated very high, and it's a good community. You can check the high schools here - https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...gen-county-nj/. Glen Rock is another option.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,185,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccrown View Post
Looking to move from Buffalo NY to Bergen County NJ for my husband’s new job. A friend suggested we look in Oradell and Rivers Edge. Price range is 700-800k for home. We have a son who will be a sophomore in high school. Can anyone tell me what the reputation of the high school is? I believe the name is River Dell. We are looking for a friendly community with a small downtown and things to do nearby. We don’t need a large house or yard because son will be going to college in a few years. Just need friendly neighbors and teens. Strong academics, but not crazy rigorous high school. Thanks so much!
RE or Oradell are perfect for your requirements. (I will assume you are well-versed in commute options as you've already zero-ed in on towns, thus why you haven't mentioned it.)

Oradell generally has bigger homes/lots for a higher price tag (a bit more well-to-do) with a little more of a main street downtown feel but not by a lot. Neither are snobby. Both are great towns. River Dell HS is well thought of without the grind mentality. Both offer great proximity to Paramus shopping and highways. Keep property taxes in mind.

Last edited by Idlewile; 01-14-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,196,071 times
Oradell and River Edge are both excellent towns, with Oradell IMO being slightly more white collar as well as not as diverse as River Edge. The high school River dell is very good.

As nice as Ridgewood is, its also a mini scaled 90210 Beverly Hills, with many people trying to keep up with the Jones's. Lots of arrogant, pretentious people who think they are better then everyone else. If your moving into Bergen county from another far away place, I wouldn't pick Ridgewood, although their downtown is excellent and they have great schools as well.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,864,110 times
My daughter's name is Adele. We lived in the area, and when she was little, she said, "Mommy, what's that place people say that has my name in it?"

Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM

343 posts, read 609,987 times
unless your husband works in those areas, for 700-800k i would look in more popular towns like ridgewood, glen rock, westfield.

river edge and oradell is on the spring valley train line, which is bad.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,509,264 times
Funny, event after the new Trump tax that punishes high SALT properties people still want these $700-800k+ properties that have taxes well about $10k and more likely people carrying $500k+ mortages.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,185,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Funny, event after the new Trump tax that punishes high SALT properties people still want these $700-800k+ properties that have taxes well about $10k and more likely people carrying $500k+ mortages.
It is true. It's us too. But the job is in the city, will always be in the city AND we want very good schools. Can't have it both ways.

In the case of the OP, I think they luck out bc the job is in Englewood Cliffs. Wish I had it that easy, where I didn't need a train town AND schools but it is what it is.

That said, once the kids graduate, it'd be absurd for us to stay. (Unless someone wants to rent my house for a bundle.)

Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM

331 posts, read 515,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
It is true. It's us too. But the job is in the city, will always be in the city AND we want very good schools. Can't have it both ways.

In the case of the OP, I think they luck out bc the job is in Englewood Cliffs. Wish I had it that easy, where I didn't need a train town AND schools but it is what it is.

That said, once the kids graduate, it'd be absurd for us to stay. (Unless someone wants to rent my house for a bundle.)
My taxes are a lot more than 10k, but still much much less than a year of private school in NYC for one kid. Even pre-school in NJ is half the price of NYC. So, shrug.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM

482 posts, read 722,065 times
That's kind of an awkward time to buy into a high tax area with an older teenager. Unlike Buffalo, the taxes here are crazy, and many buy and sell in conjunction with their childrens education since taxes are so high. So to buy in now, with only three years of schooling to go, is kind of strange. Why would you buy into a house now with ~$20k a year in tax, live there for 5?10?20? years, while only needing 2-3 years of public school on the front end.

Why not rent through graduation, and then figure it out from there. I would rather rent a place for $3-4k/mo for 3 years, and not pay taxes. And have many options once you are empty nesters.....then to lay down a down payment, pay $5k/mo ($2k tax, $3k mtg), and after your son graduates, wonder why half of your housing costs are funding taxes.

Personally, I would buy a lake or shore house within a somewhat reasonable drive for <500k now (or later). Use it for the summers, get rental income when you arent there. Rent for 3 years in Bergen through graduation. Then figure out if husband and wife want to continue renting, or downsize to a rental closer to the city, or move to second house...or retire into it. And it will be a good place to have your son come and see you during college and post-grad.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 01-22-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey