Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yes, the special people who don't think the rules apply to THEM.

To access my condo complex, I have to drive through an older apartment complex that has residential parking on one side of the street. The other side has signs placed all along the road that say, "No Stopping or Standing."

Of course, the people who don't believe those signs mean THEM, which are often taxis but also sometimes just plain idiots, pull up all the time and stop and stand. Sometimes they leave their vehicle running and aren't behind the wheel.

Add banks of plowed snow at the side of the road, and you aren't getting past until they move.
Yup!
Antics such as you described were one of the main factors for me vowing to never again live in a condo complex.
I can add a few others, that you might--or might not--have experienced:
>People who park in front of the community's dumpsters, thereby preventing garbage from being collected.
>People who buy electric vehicles for their children to ride around in (God forbid that they actually walk, run, ride a bicycle, or otherwise exert themselves...), and don't police their own kids--with the result that the fuchsia Barbie Jeeps and other kiddie vehicles are left at random in the middle of the community's roadways.

Perhaps the biggest jerk was the one who decided to rinse the salt off of his car during freezing weather, with the result that a huge puddle formed in the street, froze, and made it damn-near impossible for cars to get out of that street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:31 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
Antics such as you described were one of the main factors for me vowing to never again live in a condo complex.
I can add a few others, that you might--or might not--have experienced:
>People who park in front of the community's dumpsters, thereby preventing garbage from being collected.
>People who buy electric vehicles for their children to ride around in (God forbid that they actually walk, run, ride a bicycle, or otherwise exert themselves...), and don't police their own kids--with the result that the fuchsia Barbie Jeeps and other kiddie vehicles are left at random in the middle of the community's roadways.

Perhaps the biggest jerk was the one who decided to rinse the salt off of his car during freezing weather, with the result that a huge puddle formed in the street, froze, and made it damn-near impossible for cars to get out of that street.
Haven't run into any of that except for some ypung teen boys who have some kind of motorized bikes. People complained and took it to the town, and I haven't seen them in a while, but that might be due to winter.

Our entire town has a 15 mph speed limit--on all three roads--and they were going faster than that.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont think New Yorkers understand the left lane to mean the same thing that we do.

I spend much of my existence on the L.I.E., and I often find myself driving in the far right lane because it is moving the fastest.

There is no rhym or reason to the lanes when driving in NY.
This happens very often on I-78 coming back from PA. NJ drivers are almost as bad as NY in this respect. Sometimes, when the right lane is open for miles with all the traffic middle and left, my kids have actually taken to calling the right lane 'Mommy's lane'.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Sometimes, when the right lane is open for miles with all the traffic middle and left, my kids have actually taken to calling the right lane 'Mommy's lane'.

So, apparently there are a few other people--like me--who choose to cruise in the right lane, passing most of the folks who are clogging-up the middle and left lanes.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
So, apparently there are a few other people--like me--who choose to cruise in the right lane, passing most of the folks who are clogging-up the middle and left lanes.
I95 between Secaucus and Newark always seem to have an open right lane that sports cars are using as a speed lane.

Why do Uber drivers think left lane is exclusive to them at 55mph?

Tesla drivers always do middle lane and never yield to tailgaters even a 18 wheeler or bus is on their tail.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
I do this, too, if necessary. But eventually you run into some 85 year old doing 40 and have to move back over.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:00 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I do this, too, if necessary. But eventually you run into some 85 year old doing 40 and have to move back over.
That's probably me. I'm listening to John Hartford singing Gentle on my Mind.

Not really. I haven't driven over there in 20 years.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not 40 mph, but if my husband has the Grand Cherokee and I have to drive the Wrangler, with its 2.5" lift, off-road tires, and low-rpm-loving engine, I'll be in the right lane cruising along between 65 and 70. I just don't get people that do this in the left lane. Anyway, there are times that even in the Wrangler I'll be passing people who are crowded into the middle and left lanes.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I just don't get people that do this in the left lane. Anyway, there are times that even in the Wrangler I'll be passing people who are crowded into the middle and left lanes.
Many years ago, I was friendly with a woman from NYC, and one day she came to visit me in NJ--in her father's ancient Buick. I forget where we were going, but she offered to drive us in that massive land yacht. We got onto the Turnpike, and IMMEDIATELY after merging into the flow of traffic in the right lane, she moved over to the left lane--where she proceeded to drive at ~50 mph.

As you can imagine, cars were zooming past us in the middle and right lanes, and there was a lot of horn-honking--to which she seemed to be oblivious. After a couple of minutes of this terror ride, I asked, "June, why are you driving in the left lane?", and her answer was, "Oh, I just feel more secure in the left lane".

After that one white-knuckle ride, whenever June and I went anywhere, I simply drove us in my car, rather than repeat that ridiculously-dangerous experience.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Not 40 mph, but if my husband has the Grand Cherokee and I have to drive the Wrangler, with its 2.5" lift, off-road tires, and low-rpm-loving engine, I'll be in the right lane cruising along between 65 and 70. I just don't get people that do this in the left lane. Anyway, there are times that even in the Wrangler I'll be passing people who are crowded into the middle and left lanes.
Driving the parkway through among its most crowded and worst areas nearly every day tends to give me road rage. The stupidity I see... the number of times I'm trapped going 60 in the left lane because the person in front of me is going the same speed as the person in the lane to the right of us, so I can't pass, and people are flying by in the middle lanes (or not) and I have nowhere to go... Ugh. And when you're in some weird local traffic, or just going too slow in long lines of cars, usually looking ahead, if you're at a good spot of the parkway where you can see, you can see the people who are causing the issues. Huge gaps in the lanes cause by people driving too slowly for whatever lane they're in, often going the same speed as one another so no one can pass.

I don't take my anger out on anyone on the road or off, but it can get damn frustrating sitting in your car surrounded by idiots who don't understand the flow of traffic. I think some people intentionally sit in the left lane(s) going slow to try to slow down traffic because they think people drive too fast and they think they are the police. I just don't understand how that many people could just be that ignorant and unaware of their surroundings, I have to think that sometimes, it must be intentional. If I recognize that people are coming up my a**, I move over. I have awareness of that kind of stuff and I never want to be one of those people I can't stand on the road.

Sorry, I guess I needed to vent lol.

I have no issues with people going slower in the right lane or second to right lane, btw. That's how traffic should flow. While 40 mph in the right lane could be dangerous (and somewhat of an exaggeration... I have seen people going that slow - as I've been behind them at some point and obviously needed to move over - but it's usually just slightly below the limit, not that far below), I have elderly relatives who cannot drive so fast anymore and stick to the right lane going slower than normal so I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey