Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:09 AM

18 posts, read 52,385 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move by next year. Very difficult considering we haven't narrowed down a town yet. We are thinking about Marlboro and Lincroft. Does anyone have any insight on these towns? We have 2 small children so excellent education is a must... Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 AM

72 posts, read 291,928 times
Default Lincroft

We currently live in Lincroft. We are moving to PA (Dh's job). We love it here. The school system is great. I have nine year old twins, we moved here when they were six. One of them has difficulty adjusting to new. The school and surrounding neighbors were great in welcoming us. We are close to everything. The beach is a 15 min drive. Mall a 15 min drive. NYC one hour, red bank just around the corner,(not that we buy there it is fun to window shop and on sundays take kids for ice cream) Grocery, pharmacy, pizza, DD, hair salon etc., 2 miles up the road, and the parkway is 1/4 mile down the road. I am going to miss it. always something to do. Red Bank has a great 4th celebration, etc. etc. Good Luck with your search. I don't know much about Marlboro.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 AM

Thank you so much. Does Lincroft offer a Pre-k program? Is Kindergarten half days or full?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure about pre-K. I can find out for you. K is half day but they have a great before and after care program. My kids go to the aftercare and they hate it when I tell them I will be picking them up early. They love going. They have made friends in aftercare that aren't necessarily in their class or same age. The Lincroft Elem. is k-5. Where I live they go 5-8 at Thompson Middle School. Then Middletown South HS.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 AM

687 posts, read 3,242,764 times
We are moving to Marlboro very soon, and I'm well acquainted with Middletown (lots of family members live there). Marlboro is more "rural" and a lot smaller than Middletown. While Lincroft is among the more affluent sections of Middletown, Middletown as a whole is not as affluent as Marlboro. Marlboro is part of the Freehold Regional School district which is one of the top two or three (depending on who you ask ) districts in Monmouth county.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 AM

If you can find out if the elementary schools offers a free Pre K4 program that would be great. I know the schools up here do. Would be kind of disappointed to know I would have to pay to send my children to school next year.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Default pre-k

My neighbor is guidance counselor at Lincroft elem. I just spoke to her and she said Lincroft does not have pre-k. The district (middletown) has one class located at Monmouth elem. there is a drawing, so there is no guarantee of a spot. It cost $100/month. I do know there are many great preschools/daycare facilities close by. She sends her son to Little Chiefs, and my other neighbor sends her children to The Goddard School. In the summer I send my kids to The Ranney School for summer camp. They love it. Seashore is another great preschool/daycare/summer camp. My nephew has gone there since he was two (8 now) and goes there for the summer camp. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM

244 posts, read 1,047,955 times
Lincroft doesn't have a free pre-k. Kindergarten is half-day. Lincroft is affluent, but as Juliann said, it's part of Middletown. Middletown is huge and encompasses a wide spectrum of economic statuses.

Lincroft is a section of a large town. Marlboro is a huge town, with sections such as Morganville.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 PM

thank you for the info, btw have you sold your house already in Lincroft, lol?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times
Lincroft hands down. We used to live in coastal Monmouth and went to church in Lincroft. The parks in the Lincroft/Middletown area of Monmouth County are just outstanding with a wide variety of things to do year round. Transportation options are amazing. Train to NYC is 5 minutes away in Red Bank. The Parkway, Route 18, Route 35 and 195 are all very easily accessible. I always stay in Lincroft when I travel to the area on business now - even when I'm traveling to NYC for business.

Beaches, oh the beaches! 20 minutes to the real shore in Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Manasquan and Belmar. 25 - 30 minutes to Point Pleasant Beach and the boardwalk. 15 - 20 minutes to Sea Bright and Atlantic Highlands.

Schools are solid and there are some good Monmouth County magnet schools nearby.

You can also look at Holmdel which is much more affluent but has just an outstanding school system. About 10 years ago you could find an occasional bargain or steal there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey