Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a 2 bedroom place in West New York on 52nd street between Hudson Ave and Palisade Ave. Seems like closer to Blvd east is best and it also seems like the farther north(closer to Gutenberg and away from union city is better). Am I correct? In general what are the good areas and bad areas of WNY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:38 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
The further west you go from Blvd. East, the worse it gets.
Period. End of story.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:51 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,628,408 times
Where are you coming from? That’ll help gauge what you might consider “bad”. I grew up in Hudson County, so except for a few streets in Jersey City, there aren’t any places in Hudson County I would consider bad (with bad meaning feeling unsafe).

With that said, the advice given above that things get worse the further west you go from Blvd East isn’t entirely true. The easternmost part of WNY, River Rd, is where you’ll find the most expensive real estate with lots of pricey condos and townhouses. Slightly more east is Blvd East which is a bunch of single and multi family homes with great views and also safe. The next street west Park Ave is still what I would consider desirable for WNY with a number of bars and restaurants. Slightly west from there is the section you’re looking at on Hudson/Palisade Ave. There are a bunch of older walk-up buildings here so it’s a very congested area making parking spots hard to come by. Quite honestly, if I would have to choose a worst part of town this would probably be it. It just feels more low income than the rest of town, to be blunt. There is a lot of development going on in this area so that will likely change over years. There’s also a lot of development going on in the westernmost part of town approaching and on Kennedy Blvd (near the Avalon). I would choose this section over the one you’re looking at. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Where are you coming from? That’ll help gauge what you might consider “bad”. I grew up in Hudson County, so except for a few streets in Jersey City, there aren’t any places in Hudson County I would consider bad (with bad meaning feeling unsafe).

With that said, the advice given above that things get worse the further west you go from Blvd East isn’t entirely true. The easternmost part of WNY, River Rd, is where you’ll find the most expensive real estate with lots of pricey condos and townhouses. Slightly more east is Blvd East which is a bunch of single and multi family homes with great views and also safe. The next street west Park Ave is still what I would consider desirable for WNY with a number of bars and restaurants. Slightly west from there is the section you’re looking at on Hudson/Palisade Ave. There are a bunch of older walk-up buildings here so it’s a very congested area making parking spots hard to come by. Quite honestly, if I would have to choose a worst part of town this would probably be it. It just feels more low income than the rest of town, to be blunt. There is a lot of development going on in this area so that will likely change over years. There’s also a lot of development going on in the westernmost part of town approaching and on Kennedy Blvd (near the Avalon). I would choose this section over the one you’re looking at. Hope this helps.
This extremely helpful. I live in Jersey City(on highland between west side and Kennedy) so my comfort level in urban environments is high, I walked the neighborhood and I was conformable. There is a parking space so parking's not an issue. How far north would you say this holds truth? The neighborhood seems to get betters as you get farther north closer to Gutenberg. Is my feeling correct? Are there safety issues around this area, or is is "gritty"

Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This extremely helpful. I live in Jersey City(on highland between west side and Kennedy) so my comfort level in urban environments is high, I walked the neighborhood and I was conformable. There is a parking space so parking's not an issue. How far north would you say this holds truth? The neighborhood seems to get betters as you get farther north closer to Gutenberg. Is my feeling correct? Are there safety issues around this area, or is is "gritty"
In general, yes -- the further north you go, the better.
There are some blocks that are worse than others, but none are intolerable.
You're doing the right thing by walking through, but remember that it's winter -- people are more likely to be inside.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,534 times
Does anyone on this thread have any knowledge of the better coops in the WNY area? I was looking at a 1 bdrm at Halifax Hall on Blvd E and wondering if anyone is familiar with this bldg?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,628,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post

I guess it gets a little nicer when you go a bit north. But remember, we're talking about roughly 12 blocks from 52nd st to where Guttenberg begins, so I never really considered them much different.

Are you buying or renting?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I guess it gets a little nicer when you go a bit north. But remember, we're talking about roughly 12 blocks from 52nd st to where Guttenberg begins, so I never really considered them much different.

Are you buying or renting?
Buying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey