Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:18 PM

7,216 posts, read 11,909,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Insert vomiting emoji here -->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:19 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,852,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When does it occur? A baby shower is usually held about a month before a baby is born. Aren't these people revealing the baby's gender long before that? Honest question. I didn't know what gender my daughter was 26 years ago.

Also expectant parents don't usually throw themselves a shower. Is someone else throwing them a party at which they are expected to make the revelation?
They're usually held in lieu of baby showers. Sometimes they are separate parties but then they're typically a very small family affair with parents. More of a reason to get together and celebrate a grandkid usually.

It depends on the parents regarding the gender. I have friends who don't know and they're due in another month or so. Another recent set of parents had one knowing and the other didn't. So some people know and don't tell, others don't know, others know and tell.

Yes, traditionally expectant parents don't throw a shower but it's rare for the person throwing them the shower to not call and talk to the parents about it even just for scheduling. So I would assume this would be part of that conversation. But again, it's just like any other baby shower really, a bunch of people sitting around talking about a potential person that's not actually able to eat cake yet.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,591,118 times
Lighten up guys. Anytime you can get a group of your friends and family together, it's a good thing. Regardless of the reason.

With that said.... OP... how much are you paying?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,852,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Meh. Having been to one for my own kid now I would openly claim that all baby showers are just as bad for all involved. We got a bunch of white clothes that we never wore (you don't want to stain them!) and played terrible party games while my spouse just wanted to lie down.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,954,693 times
If I am to understand this correctly...

A baby shower is traditionally a ladies event, where women gather to welcome a new mom into the Mom's Club. They shower her with the baby supplies she will soon need. Single ladies and non-moms are also in attendance for moral support. Also, traditionally, baby showers are thrown only for the first born...the understanding is that by the time you have your 2nd and beyond, you are now a seasoned mom and settled. The gender of the baby may, or may not, be known, depending on whether or not the parents wanted to keep it a surprise.

Gender reveal parties are less about inducting a new mom into the fold to help her build her maternal nest, and more just a fun sort-of-surprise-party where both parents gather all their loved ones around to announce if their baby is gonna be sugar and spice and everything nice, or snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails.

A push party is specifically for celebrating the mother goddess...the 9 months of toil she will endure, the labor pains she will soon experience, and everything else that comes along with being a conduit for the miracle of life. The focus is less on the baby, and more on the mom.

Unlike baby showers, gender reveal parties and push parties are not traditionally limited to the first born.

There is no set etiquette for whether or not to bring a present to a gender reveal party. Same for push parties. Really, only the husband (or baby daddy, as the case may be), needs to get a push present for the mom, but it depends on your social circle and how close you are. If the mom goes through a complicated birth (natural labor followed by a c-section), she gets 2 push presents.

I am on that generational cusp that never had to navigate any of this. All my friends had their kids in the early and mid aughts, and all I ever attended were traditional baby showers. I made a lot of paper plate bonnets topped with gift bows. I have a couple older friends who recently had babies in their early 40s, but they didn't even want to be bothered with a traditional shower. Some meddling aunties had to practically force them to have one.

I am tempted to laugh at all of it, but I really can't judge because I have thrown birthday parties for my dogs. No, I am not proud.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:32 PM

88,328 posts, read 84,351,936 times
Baby showers are usually a surprise party, although rarely is the expectant mother/parents actually surprised.

But I read Gerania's article, and I still think it's a bit much. Fortunately, I don't envision a situation where I would ever be required to attend one. My only child gets her tubes tied next month, and her cousins are either not reproducing or are finished having kids. (I have a great-nephew and six great-nieces). If I'm not related, I don't have to go!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:43 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,745,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Nah, just another excuse to elicit and gift and feel important.
I am the right age for this and have gone to a bunch of these. There are no gifts involved whatsoever. The host is the one that is spending a few hundred bucks on alcohol/dinner/dessert for those who attend.

I don’t get the hate. If you don’t care, don’t go. Otherwise have fun. You literally have to do nothing except attend these parties and they are always casual, at the house kind of things.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 01-30-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
If I am to understand this correctly...

A baby shower is traditionally a ladies event, where women gather to welcome a new mom into the Mom's Club. They shower her with the baby supplies she will soon need. Single ladies and non-moms are also in attendance for moral support. Also, traditionally, baby showers are thrown only for the first born...the understanding is that by the time you have your 2nd and beyond, you are now a seasoned mom and settled. The gender of the baby may, or may not, be known, depending on whether or not the parents wanted to keep it a surprise.

Gender reveal parties are less about inducting a new mom into the fold to help her build her maternal nest, and more just a fun sort-of-surprise-party where both parents gather all their loved ones around to announce if their baby is gonna be sugar and spice and everything nice, or snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails.

A push party is specifically for celebrating the mother goddess...the 9 months of toil she will endure, the labor pains she will soon experience, and everything else that comes along with being a conduit for the miracle of life. The focus is less on the baby, and more on the mom.

Unlike baby showers, gender reveal parties and push parties are not traditionally limited to the first born.

There is no set etiquette for whether or not to bring a present to a gender reveal party. Same for push parties. Really, only the husband (or baby daddy, as the case may be), needs to get a push present for the mom, but it depends on your social circle and how close you are. If the mom goes through a complicated birth (natural labor followed by a c-section), she gets 2 push presents.

I am on that generational cusp that never had to navigate any of this. All my friends had their kids in the early and mid aughts, and all I ever attended were traditional baby showers. I made a lot of paper plate bonnets topped with gift bows. I have a couple older friends who recently had babies in their early 40s, but they didn't even want to be bothered with a traditional shower. Some meddling aunties had to practically force them to have one.

I am tempted to laugh at all of it, but I really can't judge because I have thrown birthday parties for my dogs. No, I am not proud.
HAHAHAHA. Love it.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,943,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What exactly is a "gender reveal party"?

People have parties to tell what sex their fetus is??

Good god, can society get any more demented?
I also think that gender reveal parties are stupid (and I’m a millenial, part of the generation that seems to have created them and that throws them all the time).

I mean, people will react happily either way. Are you really going to have someone stomp away like “DAMMIT I wanted your baby to be a girl!” If the baby is healthy, people will be happy regardless of the gender. The only people who truly care about someone else’s baby’s gender are the baby’s parents and maybe some members of the extended family.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am the right age for this and have gone to a bunch of these. There are no gifts involved whatsoever. The host is the one that is spending a few hundred bucks on alcohol/dinner/dessert for those who attend.

I don’t get the hate. If you don’t care, don’t go. Otherwise have fun. You literally have to do nothing except attend these parties and they are always casual, at the house kind of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I also think that gender reveal parties are stupid (and I’m a millenial, part of the generation that seems to have created them and that throws them all the time).

I mean, people will react happily either way. Are you really going to have someone stomp away like “DAMMIT I wanted your baby to be a girl!” If the baby is healthy, people will be happy regardless of the gender. The only people who truly care about someone else’s baby’s gender are the baby’s parents and maybe some members of the extended family.
It sounds from these posts as if this is more common than I first thought when I read the OP, but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing.

My niece had her second kid in September. She is 33. She didn't do anything like that. Interesting. She did keep the baby's sex quiet for some time, though. Only late in the pregnancy did I know, and that's because she started saying what the baby's name would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey