Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What exactly is a "gender reveal party"?

People have parties to tell what sex their fetus is??

Good god, can society get any more demented?
Guess you also never heard of a "push" gift.

Yep...the woman gets a gift because she pushed out a baby...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 04:35 PM

40 posts, read 27,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
How insensitive. Everyone knows you have to wait for the child to pick from one of the 6 or 7 choices.
While I don't agree with the intention that seems to lay behind your comment, I do agree that gender reveal parties are the worst. I thought we were all about getting out of the binary and separating sex and gender, and there you have a BOY OR GIRL trend. So much for inclusivity.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It sounds from these posts as if this is more common than I first thought when I read the OP, but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing.

My niece had her second kid in September. She is 33. She didn't do anything like that. Interesting. She did keep the baby's sex quiet for some time, though. Only late in the pregnancy did I know, and that's because she started saying what the baby's name would be.
I've heard of them, but I've never paid much attention. I have seven nieces and nephews, and only three have children. None of them had a reveal party.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:17 AM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I agree, it's insanity. What's next a viewing parties, with crotch shots, of the actual birth? .........
I'll pass on watching the birth but if they want to play a video of the time of conception I'd be open to that.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:43 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,905,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am the right age for this and have gone to a bunch of these. There are no gifts involved whatsoever. The host is the one that is spending a few hundred bucks on alcohol/dinner/dessert for those who attend.

I don’t get the hate. If you don’t care, don’t go. Otherwise have fun. You literally have to do nothing except attend these parties and they are always casual, at the house kind of things.
It's not hate, it's aversion to making a mountain out of a mole hill. Is knowing what sex a couple's child will be that important?

And trust me, I wouldn't go to one of these things (or a baby shower) ever, even if you guaranteed me an Eagles Super Bowl win on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'll pass on watching the birth but if they want to play a video of the time of conception I'd be open to that.
Too funny.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,933,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
It's not hate, it's aversion to making a mountain out of a mole hill. Is knowing what sex a couple's child will be that important?

And trust me, I wouldn't go to one of these things (or a baby shower) ever, even if you guaranteed me an Eagles Super Bowl win on Sunday.

Too funny.
Exactly, it isn't important to really anyone but the parents - and is it even that important to them? It's not like anyone unhappy with the revealed gender can do anything about it. The best thing about the parents knowing is that they can prepare a nursery and buy clothes and supplies in gendered colors - and people will know what colors to buy them for the baby shower.

I get that they're an excuse to get family and friends together and have a party, but just throw a barbecue or something then if you want to have people over.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanaka View Post
While I don't agree with the intention that seems to lay behind your comment, I do agree that gender reveal parties are the worst. I thought we were all about getting out of the binary and separating sex and gender, and there you have a BOY OR GIRL trend. So much for inclusivity.
we arent getting away from that. most kids are born either male or female.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:28 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

I heard that on the radio when that Kardashian girl had her first baby with that guy who interrupts the awards ceremonies. Name's drawing a blank.

Thought it was just a celebrity thing.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we arent getting away from that. most kids are born either male or female.
I was expecting one of these It doesn't matter which sex the kid is (also, what about kids with different genitalia?) if they're going to identify differently.

Otherwise, who cares? Just don't have friends who do those, and stay with your own kind or don't get invited. People are happy to have a kid and if they want to celebrate, don't hate and be happy for them. At least it's not like a baby shower where you have to spend money on someone else's kid. The only thing I don't like about these is the binary; but if people are happy, be happy with them or leave them be.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

I'd like to see you push out a baby and say it's no biggy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey