Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 2,381,334 times

Advertisements

Paterson is one of the most diverse cities in NJ and the entire US so I suspect you really mean that you wish Paterson had more white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 05:52 AM

22 posts, read 25,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
I think some would say that Paterson has too much "diversity" and that's most of its problem.
Hahahahahaha

Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,983,072 times
How about if we stopped worrying about groups of people moving into and out of places and just concentrated on individual people? What if we just never asked about the ethic or racial composition of anything? Maybe racism and irrational ethnocentrism proliferates by people always referring to each other with group identity labels. Let's get rid of this concept. Groups don't move into or out of Paterson, individual people do. Diversity is itself a racist concept by what it encourages us to focus on. Content of character is NOT a group concept, it is an individual concept. Let's forget diversity in favor of individuality.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:16 AM

68 posts, read 68,033 times
Paterson will not become more diverse. at least not in my lifetime. I am an "old" white lady and I rarely saw any white people I lived there for 25+ years and recently moved to a neighboring town/city 15 min. away. The problem for me was paying rent for all those years which meant that my hard-earned money was "going down the toilet". I bought a house with my grandson --when I die which is probably not far off, he will have a house ( I said to him "put the house in your name")
Hey, a pat on the back for Granny !! I could go on and on about Paterson. For me it was a love/hate relationship. For me a big attraction/convenience was that I found keeping a car was not a necessity, transportation 100 feet from my apartment. I did not keep a car for over 25 years. Same with the move, no car necessary. There is absolutely no place to have a dinner early evening, every dining spot in Paterson serves the same Latin food--good food, but same, same, same, chicken, rice, beans from the buffet table.

I don't agree with City readers that bringing Italian restaurants will help to revive the City. The reputation is so "bad" that different groups WILL NOT FREQUENT PATERSON. perhaps more Latin people. All the old timers have died ! When I mentioned to a person in Ridgewood, NJ 15 minutes away, that I lived in Paterson, he said PAAAATERSON) totally shocked. Another said , "I cannot believe that a place such as Paterson is 5 miles from Ridgewood.

I could go on and on, I still feel and have commented that the PLACE of Paterson is the perfect small American city, walkable, transportation, etc. The many problems will not disappear any time soon. It will take involvement with every citizen, strong leadership. What to do about all the problems, homeless, poverty, laziness of many people who just "hang" on the streets as their daily routine.

Whoever talked about the "art scene", non-existent, was o.k. years ago. Florio is buying and rehabbing many older buildings, Paterson is a "hard sell", its not Brooklyn, Jersey City, etc. Reputation is not changing quickly. I would have stayed, but did not want my grandson to be there.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:21 AM

68 posts, read 68,033 times
White people will NOT move to Paterson, hell, I was probably the lone "old white lady" left in Paterson. People treated me very well, polite, I enjoyed chit chatting with the "brothers" good conversations. I still return there several times a week. see my 2 minutes ago chat. and perhaps the comment about diversity did not necessarily mean white people.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:41 AM

10,073 posts, read 6,653,450 times
After college I moved back to North Jersey to start my first real job. My friend who was going to be my roommate, found a place for us in Paterson. Never being there before in my life, I packed up my car drove across the country and got into Paterson 1am on a Sunday night. The next morning I went out to my car and found some blacks and Puerto Ricans sitting on my car like it was a couch. I knew this wasn't going to work, so immediately spent that day finding somewhere else to live.

Anyway to be truthful, anywhere where its non-white is not going to be a good place to live.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:07 PM

423 posts, read 299,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
After college I moved back to North Jersey to start my first real job. My friend who was going to be my roommate, found a place for us in Paterson. Never being there before in my life, I packed up my car drove across the country and got into Paterson 1am on a Sunday night. The next morning I went out to my car and found some blacks and Puerto Ricans sitting on my car like it was a couch. I knew this wasn't going to work, so immediately spent that day finding somewhere else to live.

Anyway to be truthful, anywhere where its non-white is not going to be a good place to live.
Where did you move to instead?

Old 07-15-2022, 12:22 PM

10,073 posts, read 6,653,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Where did you move to instead?
Newark! Didn't last there long either after car break-in and everything and finally moved to the Caldwells.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:45 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,427,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

I would say it's a class thing not race.

There are nonwhite places that are still good places to live in, like the suburbs of Atlanta.

Also there are predominatley Mexican American suburbs in Southern California that are middle class.

The suburbs outside of Newark and Paterson like Kearny, Maplewood, South Orange, and Elmwood Park have plenty of nonwhites but are good places to live in.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:50 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,427,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
Paterson will not become more diverse. at least not in my lifetime. I am an "old" white lady and I rarely saw any white people I lived there for 25+ years and recently moved to a neighboring town/city 15 min. away. The problem for me was paying rent for all those years which meant that my hard-earned money was "going down the toilet". I bought a house with my grandson --when I die which is probably not far off, he will have a house ( I said to him "put the house in your name")
Hey, a pat on the back for Granny !! I could go on and on about Paterson. For me it was a love/hate relationship. For me a big attraction/convenience was that I found keeping a car was not a necessity, transportation 100 feet from my apartment. I did not keep a car for over 25 years. Same with the move, no car necessary. There is absolutely no place to have a dinner early evening, every dining spot in Paterson serves the same Latin food--good food, but same, same, same, chicken, rice, beans from the buffet table.

I don't agree with City readers that bringing Italian restaurants will help to revive the City. The reputation is so "bad" that different groups WILL NOT FREQUENT PATERSON. perhaps more Latin people. All the old timers have died ! When I mentioned to a person in Ridgewood, NJ 15 minutes away, that I lived in Paterson, he said PAAAATERSON) totally shocked. Another said , "I cannot believe that a place such as Paterson is 5 miles from Ridgewood.

I could go on and on, I still feel and have commented that the PLACE of Paterson is the perfect small American city, walkable, transportation, etc. The many problems will not disappear any time soon. It will take involvement with every citizen, strong leadership. What to do about all the problems, homeless, poverty, laziness of many people who just "hang" on the streets as their daily routine.

Whoever talked about the "art scene", non-existent, was o.k. years ago. Florio is buying and rehabbing many older buildings, Paterson is a "hard sell", its not Brooklyn, Jersey City, etc. Reputation is not changing quickly. I would have stayed, but did not want my grandson to be there.
I don't know why you were just limiting yourself to Spanish food.

And it's not true, Paterson has a lot of dining options.

Just go to South Paterson, Palestinian, Turkish, Syrian, and even Armenian.

And yes people come from out of town to eat at those places!

For Italian, you also have E&V Ristorante and Patsy's.

I don't know why you just said there's only Latino and chicken restaurants here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey