Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:51 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Godwin Street stops at lot #57, rest of block has been cut off by Bridge Street.

https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...rson-NJ-07501/

Search Results

By the 1960's between the race riots, vandalism and everything else going on whites and anyone else who could were fleeing much of Paterson, and that includes Godwin Street.

Soon it became the same old story that repeated itself in many urban areas of USA; banks wouldn't lend, people were fleeing, and no one was buying, so property owners couldn't keep up their buildings.
I have looked in Google Earth at areas I remember from when I was a kid, including East Main Street, where my grandfather lived. They don't seem to have gotten any better than when they first went downhill. My grandparents' old house was boarded up when I looked a few years ago, which was really sad to me, but in more recent pictures, at least it is inhabited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
daliowa, using your resource, I was able to find an article about the property being purchased from the Dutch Reformed Church by the Polish Society to be used as a banquet hall. 1920. It is interesting.
Great.

Try the Passaic County Historical Society for possible photos of the building. They may have an archive of old photos. https://lambertcastleweb.wordpress.com/

Paterson Library could be another source. Some libraries have local history collections. I don't know if Paterson Library does though.

There is also a Paterson Museum. https://www.facebook.com/ThePatersonMuseum/

Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have looked in Google Earth at areas I remember from when I was a kid, including East Main Street, where my grandfather lived. They don't seem to have gotten any better than when they first went downhill. My grandparents' old house was boarded up when I looked a few years ago, which was really sad to me, but in more recent pictures, at least it is inhabited.

Don't know how things were during you and your family's time; but yes, much has changed it seems in that part of Paterson. When and how these changes occurred are best answered by contacting city hall and or historical/other local societies.

Going by old maps from early part of last century Godwin Street once ran past Washington Street right to River Street and the Passaic River beyond. Washington Street is now cut off south of Memorial Drive, and there is a huge superblock (supermarket, parking lot and automotive supply) that was carved out of what would have been the rest of Washington Street going north.

Hamilton Avenue (around the block from Godwin Street) once ran to the river as well, but now is cut off at Paterson Street.

You might want to reach out to these people: http://patersonshul.com/shulsofpaterson.htm

A synagogue once stood at 12-14 Godwin Street (now part of the aforementioned supermarket/parking lot). Though further up than the address you are seeking, maybe they can put you onto information as to why and how much of Godwin Street was "redeveloped".

Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know how things were during you and your family's time; but yes, much has changed it seems in that part of Paterson. When and how these changes occurred are best answered by contacting city hall and or historical/other local societies.

Going by old maps from early part of last century Godwin Street once ran past Washington Street right to River Street and the Passaic River beyond. Washington Street is now cut off south of Memorial Drive, and there is a huge superblock (supermarket, parking lot and automotive supply) that was carved out of what would have been the rest of Washington Street going north.

Hamilton Avenue (around the block from Godwin Street) once ran to the river as well, but now is cut off at Paterson Street.

You might want to reach out to these people: http://patersonshul.com/shulsofpaterson.htm

A synagogue once stood at 12-14 Godwin Street (now part of the aforementioned supermarket/parking lot). Though further up than the address you are seeking, maybe they can put you onto information as to why and how much of Godwin Street was "redeveloped".
Thank you! I am about to retire in a few months and I plan to spend time on the family genealogy. Both of my parents grew up in Paterson, so these are great leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey