Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM

562 posts, read 2,609,784 times

Advertisements

just to mess with Etown-RIP.. i'm moving to Westfield! I'll make it diverse.. lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUALL View Post
I would mention Cranford and Clark in the same breath, but not Westfield.
Check the median household income:

Westfield : $152,000
Cranford: $106,000
Clark: $92,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 AM

14 posts, read 38,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
My husband and I lived in Cranford for 8 yrs. and absolutely loved it. We didn't live in a snobby neighborhood and never felt like we had to keep up with the Jones. Everyone we met was really down-to-earth.

I mean when I started using a wheelchair for outdoor trips, the people in Cranford were always so helpful opening doors and just doing little things. I even had someone offer to help get me in the car.

I'm sorry your husband had such a rough experience growing up in Westfield.... I only had great experiences there.

You sound very bitter and must live in a very opulent home if you consider the houses there shacks..... Be careful b/c your attitude could be mistaken as rather snobbish too.
are you referring to me?? my husband had no problems growing up there. why would you assume that? and i'm not "bitter". i just think it's funny to see people who are obvious snobs like this e-town guy act as if there's no other town on earth to live in than westfield! i'm happy where i live, but even if i could afford it i wouldn't live in westfield because i see it as a town that thinks it **** smells like roses. news flash: it doesn't. besides, alot of you are mortaged up to your eyeballs and you have debt coming out your bungholes. i have zero debt and a nice home, with friendly DIVERSE neighbors and a good public school system. i'm fine where i am until i get the hell OUT of NJ, which should be in a year or two. i've lived here all my life and i'm sick of it. i can't say i'll miss anything about it except for my little neighborhood.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 38,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
just to mess with Etown-RIP.. i'm moving to Westfield! I'll make it diverse.. lol..
i'm sure once you do, he'll move.

oh, GAWD, english isn't your second language, is it? he'll have his house on the market faster than you can say, "Hola!"

Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,633,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I loved my close by neighbors in Maplewood. We'd all sit in a central backyard with all of our baby monitors on summer nights and drink beer! It was great! Many a gallon of milk or box of pasta was tossed over the fence for a neighbor. I really miss those days! We even had a neighborhood "avert your eyes" window policy because we all were in our first homes and struggling to make ends meet. Curtains were out of the question cost wise for most of us. My old neighborhood is still the same way and they are all still as thick as thieves. I am sorry my kids didn't get to grow up there.
LOL love all of that but the no curtains!! We all have our curtains up no worries!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,577,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmama View Post
are you referring to me?? my husband had no problems growing up there. why would you assume that? and i'm not "bitter". i just think it's funny to see people who are obvious snobs like this e-town guy act as if there's no other town on earth to live in than westfield! i'm happy where i live, but even if i could afford it i wouldn't live in westfield because i see it as a town that thinks it **** smells like roses. news flash: it doesn't. besides, alot of you are mortaged up to your eyeballs and you have debt coming out your bungholes. i have zero debt and a nice home, with friendly DIVERSE neighbors and a good public school system. i'm fine where i am until i get the hell OUT of NJ, which should be in a year or two. i've lived here all my life and i'm sick of it. i can't say i'll miss anything about it except for my little neighborhood.
you may not think it, but you do come across as bitter. and FYI - i've never lived in cranford or westfield (truth be told, i've never even BEEN to westfield, cranford i've been to once) so i have no vested interest in this conversation.

btw - people in debt up to their eyeballs is not a westfield phenom - it's a pervasive problem across the country. can you show data that shows an inordinate amount of debt in westfield -vs- other places?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 AM

526 posts, read 2,062,881 times
Quote:
i'm sure once you do, he'll move.

oh, GAWD, english isn't your second language, is it? he'll have his house on the market faster than you can say, "Hola!"
You really should get your facts straight and read more than one post before making assumptions about other posters on this board. Anyone whose spent anytime on this board knows the following things about me:

- I’m half-Hispanic
- I was born and raised in Elizabeth
- I post more about my hometown than my current town (just ask J-Star)
- And I’ve criticized Westfield’s uppity attitude on a number of occasions

That being said, I am going to defend my current residence when someone with an obvious ax to grind starts making idiotic and unsubstantiated statements about it. Just as I’m sure you would if somebody said the same about your town. Or maybe not, considering you still haven’t mentioned where you live.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Wow … I’ve never been referred to as a snob before. I guess I’ve officially arrived. Granted, I can barely afford my townhouse and I’m really only home when I sleep … But, hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good argument!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
That'd be great. I'd finally have a friend within the city limits!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 38,160 times
I moved to Cranford with the idea that it would be a middle ground between Brooklyn and Marlboro. But I think it's much more "small town" than "mini-citi". People grow up here, graduate, go to college and move right back in. If you're looking for a town like Cranford with a little more of a Brooklyn vibe I suggest Maplewood. My Brooklyn relatives that moved there seem to have been part of a large exodus out of the borough. Check it out.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,193 times
Red face are there good and bad areas in cranford?

My husband has a job opportunity in cranford, but we know nothing about the area except that housing is expensive. We wanted to do a housing search but not knowing the area it is hard to know if a house is in a good location or not. From the size of the population it seems like a very small town so is it safe to assume that similarly sized houses throughout the township would be in more or less equally desirable locations? And what would be the average price of a 3-bed, 2bath midsize home in good condition with a little bit of outdoor space?

Also is there much culture in Cranford? I realize it is close to NYC, but don't want to have to commute 1+ hours into the City all the time to get my fill. Are there smaller performance venues closer by? home grown culture? or is it basically a suburban refuge with not much but shopping malls, strip centers and PTA meetings to keep one entertained?

Appreciate any info as we will be making a decision soon.
thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey