Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM

342 posts, read 1,790,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
You're damn right I'm pissed they've got a $1 million budget.
I am sure you are not alone. I hope people are welcoming to newcomers, because I will be included in that group! That is one thing that I am noticing about the people of New Jersey. You are fiercely proud of your state, and you do not mince words. I have to say that I do admire that quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Well, not to mention large lots aren't plentiful in close proximity to NYC - for good reason. It makes more sense to builders, and to townships (tax money) to have more people. So expecting an abundance of acreage with a direct line to NYC for an average price (by NJ standards) is simply not going to happen. There aren't many large lots left, and when they do get sold, there is a big push by builders to divide the lot, which is usually successful with the town.

In other words, perception needs to be adjusted. The closer you get, the smaller the lots, the higher the price. The further you get, the larger the lots, the lower the price. You can also pick up ALOT of acreage for ALOT of money further out, but its definitely more bang for the buck. And I have to be candid here, other states really just do not compare to NJ when talking proximity to big city money.

I'd continue, but I'd end up rambling for another 40 paragraphs
And it makes sense that the areas closer to NYC are more congested. I think that is a given. It is the exorbitant amount that they ask for such small homes on small lots that alot of people have issues with. If you have lived around it most of your life, you get use to it. However, to most outsiders it is pretty shocking. And I hear what you are saying about the NYC salaries, but unfortunately from what I have read here, alot of people who live in these areas are not making the "big bucks." One of our main criteria was to have a big lot, so we went to Hunterdon Co. for our search. The long commute and larger house is worth the longer commute. I have lived in very close proximity to my neighbors in the past, I just choose not to do so now. Because let's face it, it's a crap shoot on who you are going to end up next to. You can end up living next to wonderful people, or someone who wants to keep chickens as pets! I am not a gambling person by nature, so I do not take chances.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 PM

526 posts, read 2,065,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
E-Town-- it is all relative. I love Maplewood! Westfield and Maplewood have entirely different feels, communities and commutes. People that move here love the artistic feel, the diversity and the strong community.
Truth be told, I like Maplewood (and Middlesex). I went to school in South Orange and never had a problem. And I was born and raised in Elizabeth, so I'm the last person to be turning my nose up at anyone.

I agree ... each place has its own unique flavor to which makes it attractive. So let's concentrate on the positive and be happy with what we've got.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM

526 posts, read 2,065,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
I am sure you are not alone. I hope people are welcoming to newcomers, because I will be included in that group! That is one thing that I am noticing about the people of New Jersey. You are fiercely proud of your state, and you do not mince words. I have to say that I do admire that quality.
WELCOME ABOARD!!!

I've lived here all my life (in the same county, in fact) and one thing I can tell you about New Jerseyans: They might cut you off in traffic, but they'll be the first to pick you up when you fall!!!

Don't get me wrong, we do have problems and some of the monikers are well deserved. But I've never been anywhere where you have so much right at your fingertips. You pay a price for it, but, for me at least, it's worth it.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,653,378 times
Quote:
but unfortunately from what I have read here, alot of people who live in these areas are not making the "big bucks."
Well, thats the kicker - enough are. Sure, home prices will drop some, but as long as enough people make just enough to buy that house at that price.... they will.

Quote:
One of our main criteria was to have a big lot, so we went to Hunterdon Co. for our search. The long commute and larger house is worth the longer commute.
Thats why I live in Hunterdon I actually was able to buy a house, and have property - couldn't do that in Westfield.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 PM

7 posts, read 38,255 times
Default small lots vs. big lots

Thought I'd wade back into the fray. I've lived in Brooklyn, Marlboro, NJ (the exurbs w/ .75 acre lots) and am raising my kids in Cranford. Why? Because Cranford is a great, safe town and at 4 square miles my boys get on their bikes and go to school, practice, park, friends or downtown for a slice. I hated living in a huge township like Marlboro where my friends could be 8 miles away and the "downtown" was Route 9...we were always begging rides and there was no one on the street. Culture shock coming from Brooklyn where I never had to leave the block. So don't be so quick to denigrate the tighter living space.

Now I'm sure you will all have your own opinions...

Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
WELCOME ABOARD!!!

I've lived here all my life (in the same county, in fact) and one thing I can tell you about New Jerseyans: They might cut you off in traffic, but they'll be the first to pick you up when you fall!!!

Don't get me wrong, we do have problems and some of the monikers are well deserved. But I've never been anywhere where you have so much right at your fingertips. You pay a price for it, but, for me at least, it's worth it.
Thank you! I am looking forward to it. I am already use to the jerks who cut you off in traffic. I live only 1 hour west of Philly! Believe me when I say that the driving skills of some of the folks here are less than exemplary!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Well, thats the kicker - enough are. Sure, home prices will drop some, but as long as enough people make just enough to buy that house at that price.... they will.

Thats why I live in Hunterdon I actually was able to buy a house, and have property - couldn't do that in Westfield.
So I am going to be neighbors with you and E-town. Well, of sorts. From what I have seen so far, you have picked a wonderful area to settle!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,618,489 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am looking forward to it. I am already use to the jerks who cut you off in traffic. I live only 1 hour west of Philly! Believe me when I say that the driving skills of some of the folks here are less than exemplary!

welcome to NJ hc! (unless of course you bought a million dollar house, then of course we can't talk to you), LOL J/K

Old 04-03-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki337 View Post
Thought I'd wade back into the fray. I've lived in Brooklyn, Marlboro, NJ (the exurbs w/ .75 acre lots) and am raising my kids in Cranford. Why? Because Cranford is a great, safe town and at 4 square miles my boys get on their bikes and go to school, practice, park, friends or downtown for a slice. I hated living in a huge township like Marlboro where my friends could be 8 miles away and the "downtown" was Route 9...we were always begging rides and there was no one on the street. Culture shock coming from Brooklyn where I never had to leave the block. So don't be so quick to denigrate the tighter living space.

Now I'm sure you will all have your own opinions...
It really comes down to "each his/her own." We all have preferences for different things. I cannot speak of Cranford or Westfield, I know nothing about them. I am sure that they are great towns. My point is that some people prefer the opposite. I like being close to amenities and people, but not too close. I am fine with having to drive 5 to 10 minutes to get groceries. Do I want my neighbors to see every move I make or hear them when they are outside? No. I have done that. That crush is not something that appeals to me anymore. So, let's just be thankful that we all do not prefer living in the same areas, or could you imagine the congestion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey