Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am a 23 year old female looking to move with my S/O (25) to east orange as the prices are so attractive. He currently works in NYC while I go into the city 2/3 times a week. We were thinking about getting a place around brick church station/east orange station. However we have heard terrible things about the area -- I want to know if someone lives there ? any feedback ? improvements around that area we may not know of?

Also any recommendations on areas that offer rent for 1BD for under $1200 with a 45-30 minute commute to the city.

Thank you so much for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM

280 posts, read 339,268 times
Anything too good to be true will not be safe in NJ.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I know quite a few people who moved from more expensive towns to apartments near the Brick Church station in recent years. Orange is on its way up after being pretty rough for a while. There's not much to do right there, but the buildings are nice, the prices are good, and you can't beat the access to NYC. You're also pretty close to some of the more interesting NJ towns (Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, etc.). I'm told that there is heavy police coverage in the area. Orange wants to keep the area safe for the new arrivals. You didn't mention if you have kids, but the schools are terrible.

I remember feeling less comfortable around the East Orange station, but I haven't been there in years.

If I spent most of my time in NYC and just came home to sleep, I'd seriously consider Brick Church. But I work from home and really enjoy having lots of amenities within walking distance and being able to safely walk the dog at 2AM, so I pay more to live a few stops farther out. (My middle-aged female perspective.)

Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 PM

378 posts, read 587,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I know quite a few people who moved from more expensive towns to apartments near the Brick Church station in recent years. Orange is on its way up after being pretty rough for a while. There's not much to do right there, but the buildings are nice, the prices are good, and you can't beat the access to NYC. You're also pretty close to some of the more interesting NJ towns (Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, etc.). I'm told that there is heavy police coverage in the area. Orange wants to keep the area safe for the new arrivals. You didn't mention if you have kids, but the schools are terrible.

I remember feeling less comfortable around the East Orange station, but I haven't been there in years.

If I spent most of my time in NYC and just came home to sleep, I'd seriously consider Brick Church. But I work from home and really enjoy having lots of amenities within walking distance and being able to safely walk the dog at 2AM, so I pay more to live a few stops farther out. (My middle-aged female perspective.)
You keep saying this in different threads, but it’s simply not true.

Can you please give us a few examples of “Orange is on the way up?”

Of course prices are good. Prices are good in Newark and Irvington too. As you say, there is nothing to do there, except maybe eat McD or fried chicken.

To the OP, why are you considering EO? Don’t you care about the surroundings in which you live? It’s cheap for a reason. There is ZERO reason to live in O or EO. High taxes and high crime. I would add SO to that list as well, unless you like overpriced, overtaxed, but beautiful houses.

You are better off in Maplewood, Montclair, or heck, even Bloomfield.

If you want close, did you check Harrison around the PATH station? Or Newark near Penn Station? How about Hackensack?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
You keep saying this in different threads, but it’s simply not true.

Can you please give us a few examples of “Orange is on the way up?”

Of course prices are good. Prices are good in Newark and Irvington too. As you say, there is nothing to do there, except maybe eat McD or fried chicken.

To the OP, why are you considering EO? Don’t you care about the surroundings in which you live? It’s cheap for a reason. There is ZERO reason to live in O or EO. High taxes and high crime. I would add SO to that list as well, unless you like overpriced, overtaxed, but beautiful houses.

You are better off in Maplewood, Montclair, or heck, even Bloomfield.

If you want close, did you check Harrison around the PATH station? Or Newark near Penn Station? How about Hackensack?
I've said it twice in the last week because two different people asked. I don't remember ever saying it before that. I'm basing my view on the fact that (1) a lot of handsome old apartment buildings are being renovated and new luxury buildings are going up near Brick Church station and (2) increasing numbers of people in my demographic (empty nesters) are moving there from "better" towns, when not that long ago it would have been unthinkable. I'm not aware of that happening anywhere in Irvington, and not much in Newark.

Why do people get so ANGRY when someone dares to defend the towns they love to hate?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
I'm a former EO resident. Brick Church is the better location of the 2 stations. More housing geared towards the working and (I guess) the middle class along S. Harrison, Washington, Glenwood and Prospect going up to Springdale Ave. You should find 1 BRs for $1200 or under, with H/HW included. If you buy a rail pass you can use it on NJT buses(NOT Coach USA). I say this because if your spot is up by Springdale you can take a 94 down to Shoprite and walk to the station, instead of walking straight down.. You might feel out of place if you're white tho.

https://www.apartments.com/east-oran...v6tugpywH4-g4O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey