Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 58,633 times

Advertisements

OK, I’m back again! Still trying to figure out where to look for a house in Bergen County. Moving from Western NY. Ideal house price is $750-$850k. Husband will work in Englewood Cliffs. The main driver is high school for son who will be a sophomore ...also need a reasonable commute to EC (willing to drive up to 45 min). We’re visiting in two weeks and want to take a look at some good high schools and then we’ll find a house in the area of that high school. I just can’t get a good feel for these schools beyond test scores! Son would not thrive in an academically rigorous environment with loads of homework (due to minor learning disabilities), needs a somewhat nurturing environment, he is not athletic...more into theatre and arts. Can anyone suggest any?? If not, we are going to look at NRegional - Old Tappan, NRegional - Demarest, Pascack Valley HS, and Tappan Zee in NY (Rockland County) because I’m interested in that cute little town of Piermont and the high school sounds good. Do any of these high schools sound like they would not meet our criteria? Any other good high school suggestions? I wish there was some sort of public high school search engine where you could type in your criteria and a school name would pop up! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Nyack HS might be strong in theatre and the arts. Maybe add that to your list. Its a liberal, artsy community, and if you like Piermont you will probably like Nyack. Difference is Nyack HS is MUCH more ethnically and economically diverse than TZ. TZ is more your typical suburban HS. And while you may like Piermont, keep in mind that its TZ high and not Piermont high. I never got the feeling that the Piermont vibe carries the day at TZ.

Many people in the area would look at certain private schools to fit what your kid needs. Like a Country Day - Rockland County Day School in Congers and Saddle River Day School in Saddle River. Frankly I know little about these schools other than your kid seems to fit the stereotype of who goes there - not athletic, into theatre and arts, minor learning disabilities necessitating a non-traditional, nurturing environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey