U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 PM

240 posts, read 910,529 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the schools in South Jersey? I know that someone posted about looking for a job with an alternate route teaching license, but are there teaching jobs for teachers holding regular licensure?

Do you know of any areas that are growing tremendously that would create the need for new teachers?

I am looking to get out of Middlesex county. I was going to try to find a location to live in South Jersey where I could commute to South Brunswick where I work, but maybe I can begin a search for employment out that way too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 02:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,612,966 times
I don't think there's really any areas in South Jersey that are growing so quickly that there's a huge need for new teachers (as in new schools being added that need whole new staffs). There's always the typical attrition through retirements, promotions to adminstration, and teachers quitting, but that's in pretty much any district. You're probably best off just trying to find a few places that you'd like to live and then seeing how many positions those towns have available- I doubt you'll find any places that wil vary much from the others. Of course, there's always a need for teachers in Trenton and Camden- I hear they even give you a bullet-proof vest at orientation.......

Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 PM

5,757 posts, read 11,730,073 times
Some towns that are growing to a certain extent but not to fast are Barnegat, Stafford Township,Manchester,Waretown(no high school),Little Egg Harbor. These towns are in southern Ocean County.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks! I will look into these areas. I will leave the bullet proof vest wearing areas for the newbies right out of college. They have more energy than me.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,139,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTeach View Post
Is anyone familiar with the schools in South Jersey? I know that someone posted about looking for a job with an alternate route teaching license, but are there teaching jobs for teachers holding regular licensure?

Do you know of any areas that are growing tremendously that would create the need for new teachers?

I am looking to get out of Middlesex county. I was going to try to find a location to live in South Jersey where I could commute to South Brunswick where I work, but maybe I can begin a search for employment out that way too.
There are teacher job fairs at Burlington County College, you just missed one on March 3rd.

The Burlington County Education Job Fair Monday, March 3, 2008 10:00 am - 4:00 pm (Registration starts at 9 am) Burlington County College Gymnasium County Route 530, Pemberton-Browns Mills Rd Pemberton, NJ 08068 The following districts are committed to excellence & are looking to hire high quality teachers, instructional aides & administrators for anticipated openings for all grade levels, subjects, & speciality areas. Bordentown, B.C.I.T, Burlington City, Burlington Twp, Chesterfield, Cinnaminson, Florence, Hainesport, Lenape Regional, Maple Shade, Mt. Laurel, Northern Burlington, Pemberton Twp, Rancocas Valley, Tabernacle Twp, Willingboro, Burlington County College, Burlington County Office of Education, NJ Hire, NJ SchoolJobs, Troops for Teachers Representatives from school districts will be available to meet with candidates. Candidates can pre-register & find additional info at Northern Burlington County Regional School District

Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
There are teacher job fairs at Burlington County College, you just missed one on March 3rd.

The story of my life

Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 PM

691 posts, read 2,893,912 times
Woolwich Twp is the fastest growing municipality in NJ. Also in Gloucester county, Logan Twp and Mullica Hill (Harrison Twp) are still growing.

And Winslow Twp (Williamstown area) in Camden County.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 AM

61 posts, read 221,784 times
Hi, I taught in South Jersey for two years. Yes, many towns are growing but that does not mean they are adding as many teachers as we might think.

South Jersey does not have the number of open teaching positions that are found in Central and Northern Jersey.

That being said, it really depends what you teach. Elementary positions receive about 300 applicants where high school special ed and science might get 6-10, if they are lucky.

A number of my friends who were not in demand were able to crack into districts by subbing. Sure, it is annoying getting calls at 5-6am but it is a great way to get known at many districts.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey