Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:34 PM

61 posts, read 69,425 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3- husband, wife and our 3 year old. We are new to NJ and looking for areas with good schools and under 1 hour commute to Wall Street.

We have car so drive to a public commute wouldn’t be an issue. Only area that I am strongly considering is Livingston based on google search. It’s not under 1 hour though.

Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM

482 posts, read 729,775 times
Hard to get within an hour. Best bet is rumson red bank area with ferry service to Wall Street. However, the ferry service is pricey, and doesn’t run as frequently, and if the commute / workplace ever changes to midtown, it is a bear of a commute.

Not sure how Livingston came into play since it doesn’t have a train and you’d have to drive to a train...which is a direct to midtown. Your door to door would be an hour and a half.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
If you wanted to drive yourself from Livingston, it could be well under an hour, but that depends on a lot of factors. If you live on the Rt 280 side of town, you can be at the holland tunnel in a half hour.

Then another 15 minutes or less to Wall St. I know someone who does this, but he leaves very early in the morning and usually comes home fairly late at night.

After all, it really is only a 20 mile drive, give or take. When there is no traffic is is easy.

During rush hour, forget it.

That is really the only way you can do it in an hour or less.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Hard to get within an hour. Best bet is rumson red bank area with ferry service to Wall Street. However, the ferry service is pricey, and doesn’t run as frequently, and if the commute / workplace ever changes to midtown, it is a bear of a commute.

Not sure how Livingston came into play since it doesn’t have a train and you’d have to drive to a train...which is a direct to midtown. Your door to door would be an hour and a half.
Thank you. I will look into Rumson Red Bank area. Are there more areas with Ferry service?

I was planning to drive to drive from Livingston to Harrison/ Hoboken and then Path from there. Wouldn’t that be practical?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If you wanted to drive yourself from Livingston, it could be well under an hour, but that depends on a lot of factors. If you live on the Rt 280 side of town, you can be at the holland tunnel in a half hour.

Then another 15 minutes or less to Wall St. I know someone who does this, but he leaves very early in the morning and usually comes home fairly late at night.

After all, it really is only a 20 mile drive, give or take. When there is no traffic is is easy.

During rush hour, forget it.

That is really the only way you can do it in an hour or less.
I was planning to drive from Livingston to Harrison/ Hoboken. Is that practical?

Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divyakhanna2002 View Post
I was planning to drive from Livingston to Harrison/ Hoboken. Is that practical?
Harrison is more practical than Hoboken. Plenty of people drive to Harrison. If you go during high traffic times, you will hit traffic when 280 splits off into 2 lanes. I usually stay left and then merge right at the last minute, and that saves a lot of time.

I also know people that drive to Brick Church train station and take the train from there. You rarely hit traffic that way. I dont know about the availability of parking spaces, but its gotta be easier than parking in Short Hills or Millburn Train Stations.

Another option is to park at the Livingston Mall and take the Jitney to South Orange Train Station.

I once lived in Hoboken, and the only way into the city is to sit in either Holland Tunnel traffic or Lincoln Tunnel traffic. The only other option is Paterson Plank road which is no bargain either.

Some people take busses right from town, while others drive to the Codey Arena in West Orange and take the bus from there.

I dont think any of the train or bus options will get you there in under an hour, especially when you include waiting for the train or bus.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Suprised no one suggested short hills, millburn or south orange. South orange being the fastest commute.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Suprised no one suggested short hills, millburn or south orange. South orange being the fastest commute.
It depends on whether the OP wants a “good” school system or a “top” school system. Some people care, others don’t. South Orange school system is fine, but it is in a different category than Livingston or Short Hills/Millburn.

Millburn has a top school system, and a train station, so that may be the best choice for a city commuter, though you definitely pay a premium for it.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:09 PM

482 posts, read 729,775 times
Many towns have good schools as well as a 25-30 min train to Hoboken. Then you could take the path to the western side of fidi or ferry to the eastern side of fidi. Depending how long it takes you to get to the local station, transfer time, and how much walking you do to get to the office, you’re true door to door will be between 70 to 90 minutes. That’s kind of as good as it gets unless you do some other roundabout way, such as a ferry from Rebank, or driving to the Harrison path.

I suggest you search for those towns with a quick train to Hoboken with good schools and see what fits the bill.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:51 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Harrison is more practical than Hoboken. Plenty of people drive to Harrison. If you go during high traffic times, you will hit traffic when 280 splits off into 2 lanes. I usually stay left and then merge right at the last minute, and that saves a lot of time.

I also know people that drive to Brick Church train station and take the train from there. You rarely hit traffic that way. I dont know about the availability of parking spaces, but its gotta be easier than parking in Short Hills or Millburn Train Stations.
4 year wait at Brick Church last time I checked. Probably more now. There's also Orange which used to have a shorter wait (and fewer trains), but might be longer now that the municipal lot is gone. If you're going to Wall Street you might as well suck it up and drive to Harrison where you can get a PATH train to WTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey