Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently work in Jersey City and was wondering a good place to find a small house or condo. Specifically like a two story condo and not the ones that are on one level. I am looking to relocate to Nj specifically areas from Sayyerville down to redbank. That part of jersey and not anywhere near jersey city and upwards. I dont mind areas like Old Bridge or the brunswicks (not near rutgers). Specifically i think aberdeen or matawan are a nice place to live.

Anyway how do you single folks do it. I make roughly 60,000 per year so thats leaves me with a mortgage to comfortably live of about 1400-1500 a month.

Ive been researching for around 3 months and notice these condos have high HOA fees which will eat into that 1400-1500 a month budget. What do you guys recommend?

I specifically looking for a small townhouse (not one level) or small house nothing crazy thats affordable, not flood prone and area safe. No kids so schools are not an issue.

Edit: i am not looking to rent.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,212,616 times
I afford my expensive NJ town by owning a two-family house and living in the smaller apartment.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM

4,014 posts, read 3,577,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I afford my expensive NJ town by owning a two-family house and living in the smaller apartment.

You won't find a better answer than this

Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM

98 posts, read 116,052 times
Matawan has high property taxes, I would avoid. I would check Old Bridge

Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Where in Jersey City do you work? Are there any PATH stations nearby? From Monmouth County, there are frequent North Jersey Coast Line trains to Hoboken and Newark (and New York Penn, but for Jersey City, you would use the other two). I worked in J.C. near Exchange Place for three years. It's a longish commute, but comfortable. You can read, nap, and stare out the window at sunrises, water and birds until you cross the Raritan.

All condos will have HOA fees. This is money you also have to spend if you own a house. It covers exterior building insurance (in our case, that's 24% of the $280 fee), landscaping, snow removal, reserves for future upkeep, and so forth.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Where in Jersey City do you work? Are there any PATH stations nearby? From Monmouth County, there are frequent North Jersey Coast Line trains to Hoboken and Newark (and New York Penn, but for Jersey City, you would use the other two). I worked in J.C. near Exchange Place for three years. It's a longish commute, but comfortable. You can read, nap, and stare out the window at sunrises, water and birds until you cross the Raritan.

All condos will have HOA fees. This is money you also have to spend if you own a house. It covers exterior building insurance (in our case, that's 24% of the $280 fee), landscaping, snow removal, reserves for future upkeep, and so forth.
I work in journal square 5 min from Path. I do like monmouth county but it seems too expensive

Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 AM

123 posts, read 179,659 times
There's plenty of charming houses in that area for 150-200k that will leave you with a <$1500 monthly payment (with a 20% down-payment).

Old 02-16-2018, 08:53 AM

189 posts, read 260,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promike93 View Post
I work in journal square 5 min from Path. I do like monmouth county but it seems too expensive
If you have 20% to put down you should have no problem finding and affording a smaller home in northern Monmouth county. I just did a quick zillow search and found 150+ 2 bedroom homes under 200k.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:23 AM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promike93 View Post
There are lots of condo complexes around. You should check out Realtor. My mortgage/taxes/PMI are about $1450, plus there's the $280 HOA fee, but I bought in 2010 and my place would not sell now for what I paid for it then.

Good luck. I hope you find something.

I also thought about a small house when I moved down here, but FEMA had just redone the flood maps, and most of the places seemed to require flood insurance. Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, and damned if they weren't right. I was five miles inland and OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey