Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,599 times

Advertisements

Hi New Jersey Folk

My mother was born in Newark in 1923, that makes her almost 85 yrs old. She has told me that she remembers living on Sherman Ave and attended Berry St School as a child. She remembers that they lived in a wooden bungalow just four doors past the Sherman Ave/ Berry St junction. This, she recalls, was on the left as you walk from the New York end. She also said that there was a Fire Station about 200/300 yrds on down on the opposite side of Sherman Ave. My mum and grand parents moved from Newark back to Ireland when she was 10yrs old. That would be around 1933. I have checked google maps and I can't find Berry St, nor any record of Berry Street school on the net. I think the Fire Dept are still on Sherman Avenue though.

I would appreciate it if any of you historians out there could put any flesh on the bones for me.

Regards Ted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,361 times
Default Info for East Newark, NJ

Hi Irish Ted,
Have two websites for you, www.newarkmuseum,org (broken link) and,
wikipedia.org/Newark,N.J.

My Pop was born in that town in the 1920's on Napoleon Street, do not
know of the school, but, it appears it is closer to the town on Elizabeth, NJ.
and known as East Newark.

Hope this helps, from one Irish to another!

Sonas Ort !
Sligogirl

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,599 times
Hi Sligogirl

Thanks for you help, I will check it out.

Regards

Ted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey