Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM

14 posts, read 17,633 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband, myself and our 2 young children are from Staten Island, and relocating to NJ. We found a house we love in Monroe township (a few blocks from Monroe township high school) but don’t know much about the area. The dream is a family friendly town where children play outside in the neighborhood, family activities to do throughout the year, a safe neighborhood, great schools, upper middle class. Is Monroe like this? I’ve also heard mixed things about Jamesburg, Which is very close to this house. I’ve heard that it is a shady area and to steer clear. So that makes me nervous to be so close to an area like that. Does anyone have any insight or any advice? We’d like to make an offer on the house as soon as possible if the neighborhood is right. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 PM

109 posts, read 125,346 times
I think the most dangerous part of your area is sharing the road with all the retirees. I work nearby and have witnessed some rather reckless driving, especially on Fridays.

Jamesburg is a small town, the undesirable section of it is even smaller and the area itself does not have high crime. Jamesburg also has some nice restaurants downtown.

You’d also be 7 or so minutes from downtown Cranbury which is ideal for strolling through town.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 20,621 times
Monroe is a huge town with more of a rural feel. There really is no "downtown" area in the immediate vicinity. There are many developers coming in with new construction trying to give it more of that suburbia vibe but you may have to drive a bit further for restaurants, shopping centers, etc.. It also has one of the largest adult communities in New Jersey.

Aside from that, the community is wonderful and constantly growing with new families, schools are good and they do have a nice recreation center that has year round activities for people of all ages.

I have found homes for several families in that area and they are very happy with the decision they made. I am also one of the owners of Monroe 33 Tennis, Basketball & Sports Center which is down the road from the Monroe HS and our customers love the community they are in.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Jamesburg does have the juvy prison. I was on a murder trial once, and the underage kids involved who testified against the adult were doing their time there.

I don't think that's a problem as long as they don't get out, but on the up side, if your kid commits a serious crime, visitation would be really easy.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jamesburg does have the juvy prison. I was on a murder trial once, and the underage kids involved who testified against the adult were doing their time there.

I don't think that's a problem as long as they don't get out, but on the up side, if your kid commits a serious crime, visitation would be really easy.

Lol omg well hopefully that’s never the case

Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The good news is that this facility is slated for closure, although there is not yet a specific date for it to be shut-down for good.
When you read the details of the costs involved with the operation of The NJ Training School For Boys, it is obvious why it needs to be replaced with smaller facilities. This was one of the very few good decisions on the part of the Christie administration.

https://www.monroenow.com/news/local...ebd8224a3.html

Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The good news is that this facility is slated for closure, although there is not yet a specific date for it to be shut-down for good.
When you read the details of the costs involved with the operation of The NJ Training School For Boys, it is obvious why it needs to be replaced with smaller facilities. This was one of the very few good decisions on the part of the Christie administration.

https://www.monroenow.com/news/local...ebd8224a3.html

Wow, yes, and I had no idea it was 150 years old. Jeez.

I used to take the train with a woman who lived in Paterson. Her son was in there. He was her only child, and she referred to him as her "disagreeable boy". He had a crack habit, and she told me stories of how he stole her husband's watch as well as her jewelry and that once she came home from clothes shopping, went to take a shower, and when she came out he had come in and stolen the new clothes.

When he was 17, he called her and said because Jamesburg was crowded, she could come sign him out and he could get out early. She said no, you are staying in there until you are 18. Then she sold her house in Paterson and moved to Rutherford and asked her neighbors to please not tell her son where she went when he got out.

I saw her after that, and she said her neighbors told her he was walking around the neighborhood asking people if they knew where his mother had moved to, but no one would tell him.

It was funny, but sad at the same time.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:29 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Yes the prison is closing down in Jamesburg. While Jamesburg may not be the most desirable area I would hardly call it dangerous in any way. The fact you are in Monroe and just next to Jamesburg means nothing negative at all.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM

144 posts, read 449,224 times
Been in Monroe for 20 years (I’m on the side of the turnpike), never had any issues. Some nights I left my garage doors wide open by mistake and the area is safe. The schools are good here too. The only issues are the property tax, used to be affordable but have increase tremendously the past few years and you have to put up with the seniors driving when the snowbirds return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey