Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 08:37 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

So it looks like my cousin and I are finally going to pull off a family reunion this summer after years of talking about it. It's my mother's family and there is a large concentration of the family in the Philadelphia and NYC areas.
We thought that the NJ coast would be a good venue for that reason. Cape May is already on the list along with Avalon. We'd like to find a nice resort area with amenities but also without the craziness that comes with some beach destinations during high season.
So, are there any hidden gems (well, hidden from someone from Atlanta, GA, anyway) on the 'shore' that I should be made aware of?
Thank you in advance, Jerseyites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
So it looks like my cousin and I are finally going to pull off a family reunion this summer after years of talking about it. It's my mother's family and there is a large concentration of the family in the Philadelphia and NYC areas.
We thought that the NJ coast would be a good venue for that reason. Cape May is already on the list along with Avalon. We'd like to find a nice resort area with amenities but also without the craziness that comes with some beach destinations during high season.
So, are there any hidden gems (well, hidden from someone from Atlanta, GA, anyway) on the 'shore' that I should be made aware of?
Kind of late in the year to be looking for rental places. It's already March. Most summer houses are booked by January.

Are there kids? You might want to try Wildwood, which is known more for kitschy motels than beach houses, but it could be fun and you might still be able to book a bunch of rooms.

I cannot think of any places along the Jersey shore that are quiet and don't have "craziness" in summer. Even the wealthier areas like Long Beach Island get crowded even though they don't have the amusements and such, but they are also the places with the beach houses that are likely rented already.

Something you could try, though, that once worked for a friend of mine is to call and ask if there have been any cancellations. Things happen, and you might just get lucky.

You said a resort--there is this place and it says it has group rates. https://www.reservations.com/hotel/o...59b5a9d8b63d50

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
Resort area with amenities without the craziness? I don't think you want the shore

Seriously though, I wouldn't pick the shore for a family reunion. I would want more of a resort atmosphere that had everything right there.

Maybe the Poconos? Woodloch is a beautiful resort with loads to do

Skytop Lodge is nice too

The Hershey Hotel is nice as well, and Hershey Park would be fun

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
When it's summer, the Jersey Shore is going to be crazy.

I'll throw Beach Haven in the hat. It's on Long Beach Island. Friends used to rent on Coral St., just South of the busy shopping area. It's a very convenient location and they rarely used their car during the week.

If you want something more quiet, look further South toward Holgate or North of the bridge in Harvey Cedars or Loveladies. Harvey Cedars has a few restaurants, a small market and a liquor store.

There are fewer people on the beach in the narrow areas of the island.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 PM

OK, I found this great Victorian with availability in Belmar but I have to move fast. What are your feelings on Belmar?

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p7071364

And much thanks for the feedback thus far.

Last edited by Iconographer; 03-05-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
OK, I found this great Victorian with availability in Belmar but I have to move fast. What are your feelings on Belmar?

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p7071364

And much thanks for the feedback thus far.

Belmar is a great area, but like every other shore town in NJ, gets crowded over the summer. Looks like a nice house though I love Belmar personally.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 AM

Belmar is nice.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:08 AM

Well, Belmar it is. I hope that its residents are as kind and accommodating as y'all have been. Thanks again so much.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 AM

Sssshhhh. You found out our secret. Jersey people are really nice. Don't go telling everybody, now.

If you remember, come back and tell us how it went.

Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey