Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 AM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
“Find-a-grave”? Is that really a website? LOL
Seriously? Where have you been?

It started out years ago as a website to locate celebrities' graves, but now it's used extensively by genealogists.

https://www.findagrave.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
I have always found that the anti-Jersey attitude most often comes from people from places like Ohio and Nebraska, that have barely lived in NYC a year and now they think of themselves as “New Yorkers”.
Bingo!
Barely one year after a friend of mine moved from Cincinnati to NYC, he was already "looking down his nose" at me because I lived in NJ. A quick refresher about my family's long history in NYC--dating back to the 1860s--as well as the fact that we had only moved to NJ about 16 years earlier, soon put a stop to his newly-created "proud New Yorker" attitude.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,437,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you hop back over to NYC, majority of the folks think NJ as either ghetto as Jersey City/Newark or boring as Lakewood.
give them some credit, they also think it's Manalapan and Seaside as well.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:02 AM

31,576 posts, read 26,419,637 times
Quote:
“Find-a-grave”? Is that really a website? LOL

Ohhh yes!

As other poster mentioned it began as way to find "historical" burials, but now has morphed into a huge database of so much more.

It covers now many cemeteries or whatever sites including recent burials as well. You can find your great uncle Vincent who died in 1916 as well as your cousin Vincent who died in 2006. Think of them as "Google" for burials.

IIRC they have "staff" that canvas and or are canvasing cemeteries to make accurate lists. This and it seems to me at least they are either getting information directly from the major funeral home companies (such as Legacy), or DOD databases. https://www.findagrave.com/

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-05-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 AM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ohhh yes!

As other poster mentioned it began as way to find "historical" burials, but now has morphed into a huge database of so much more.

It covers now nearly every cemetery or so forth in the USA and or recent burials as well. You can find your great uncle Vincent who died in 1916 as well as your cousin Vincent who died in 2006. Think of them as "Google" for burials.

IIRC they have "staff" that canvas and or are canvasing cemeteries to make accurate lists. This and it seems to me at least they are either getting information directly from the major funeral home companies (such as Legacy), or DOD databases. https://www.findagrave.com/
Yup. My daughter is a descendant of one of the founders of what is now Portland, ME, on her father's side. (That and $2.75 will get her a ride on the NYC Subway ) My sister found her ancestor's grave from the 1600s.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 AM

31,576 posts, read 26,419,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Need to revitalized the bombed out cities to make room for them vs destroying open space for mc mansions.
Sadly "urban renewal" or slum clearance if you will has gotten a bad name since the 1960's or so. Instead local natives seem to prefer living in heck holes rather than *gasp* gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey