Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
If that is true, that is totally reasonable IMHO. Do you have a reference/link for how this really works?
That is how it works. I don’t really have an issue with that aspect of it.

I do think the increase in sales tax shouldn’t immediately be spent on new programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 AM

332 posts, read 522,414 times
NY has a similar top bracket though the cutoffs double for married filers (ie 2mm instead of 1mm). I don't think that will be the case in NJ. That top rate is 9%, though if you live in NYC your total marginal rate goes up to nearly 13%.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Murph is taking a cue from PA Gov. Tom Wolf's playbook. Wolf's first budget proposals included doubling the state income tax rate (PA's constitution prohibits progressive taxation), raising the sales tax to 6.6% from 6% and taxing such heretofore untaxed items as funeral services, sports admissions, airline tickets, textbooks, fees for financial services, bullion gold, caskets, accounting services, a severance tax on natural gas extraction and a $1 increase in the cigarette tax. The state legislature put the kibosh on Wolf's proposals but it took a year of threats and counter threats.

That won't happen in New Jersey.

What compels these democrats to keep increasing taxes?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Murph is taking a cue from PA Gov. Tom Wolf's playbook. Wolf's first budget proposals included doubling the state income tax rate (PA's constitution prohibits progressive taxation), raising the sales tax to 6.6% from 6% and taxing such heretofore untaxed items as funeral services, sports admissions, airline tickets, textbooks, fees for financial services, bullion gold, caskets, accounting services, a severance tax on natural gas extraction and a $1 increase in the cigarette tax. The state legislature put the kibosh on Wolf's proposals but it took a year of threats and counter threats.

That won't happen in New Jersey.

What compels these democrats to keep increasing taxes?

Previous governor of NJ raised NJT fares by roughly 35%, increased state college tuition, cut back education and police help to municipalities, did not make the promised pension payments. What compels these Republicans from making everything more expensive thereby increasing the burden on middle class?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
You guessed wrong, I do. And I did not see a penny of a salary increase/bonus as a result of the tax law. It all went to executive boards, CEOs and wealthy shareholders. That is why I support a higher tax since at least it would hopefully contribute to the public good.
It doesn't make any sense for someone who has a good job in the private sector to support a higher corporate income tax.

Maybe when your job moves to a lower-tax state you'll feel differently

Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
I work in the public sector and I would eliminate the corporate tax.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:42 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
NJ's taxes need to increase significantly more than what has been proposed. The state is almost insolvent. The most underfunded pension plan in the US. That's quite an achievement for a state that is so proud of the their public school system. It appears no one in NJ has ever been taught basic math.

Quote:
Unfortunately, being the not so proud owner of the most distressed and underfunded public pension fund in the US is just the start of New Jersey's monetary woes, and as Bloomberg reports, New Jersey's fiscal situation is so dire that new Governor Phil Murphy has proposed taxing online-room booking, ride-sharing, marijuana, e-cigarettes and Internet transactions along with raising taxes on millionaires and retail sales to fund a record $37.4 billion budget that would boost spending on schools, pensions and mass transit.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ncial-disaster

Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
NJ's taxes need to increase significantly more than what has been proposed.
We're already among the top-3 taxed states in the country. We do not need more taxes. We need less spending.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
We're already among the top-3 taxed states in the country. We do not need more taxes. We need less spending.
Sometimes I wonder WHY WHY WHY does the government,,, ANY government take ANY money or taxes from people,, when they can print all the money they need???

People have told me that's to control inflation. I'm not 100% sure I ever buy that.

I mean if the expense is just and it helps all residents just print whatever money is needed, paid, done.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM

565 posts, read 722,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Sometimes I wonder WHY WHY WHY does the government,,, ANY government take ANY money or taxes from people,, when they can print all the money they need???

People have told me that's to control inflation. I'm not 100% sure I ever buy that.

I mean if the expense is just and it helps all residents just print whatever money is needed, paid, done.

Are you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell. You really don't understand why governments can't just "print money" to raise revenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey