Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 07:02 AM

10 posts, read 9,508 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I received our rent renewal agreement that we need to sign and return to the office. It is due by March 31st. However, it states that and I'm paraphrasing -

"Failure to return renewal agreement will result in an automatic lease renewal for another 12 months at the new rental rate."

So is this actually legal? If so then what is the point of signing and returning the lease agreement if we choose to stay? After all - it's an AGREEMENT.

Thanks,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
What does your actual original lease state?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 AM

123 posts, read 181,328 times
Consult with the lawyer. But here's my 2 cents: If the original lease doesn't have the automatic renewal clause, the tenancy transforms to month-to-month status if no new lease is entered into. However, if the original lease does contain a provision regarding automatic renewal, that provision will control what happens at the end of the original lease.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 9,508 times
I totally forgot about this post.

Anyway, the lease is in front of me and it says this:

Enclosed please find a new renewal agreement with option for lease terms. Please sign and return to the Management Office. Should you have any questions about the new multiple options renewal, please contact the Management office. YOUR LEASE WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW FOR 12 MONTHS AT THE RATE INDICATED FOR THE 12 MONTH LEASE TERM IF YOU DO NOT RETURN YOUR SIGNED RENEWAL.

That's the exact wording. How exactly is it an "agreement" if I'm required to sign and return, but if I dont - it will automatically renew at the new rate.

So stupid!!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89 View Post
I totally forgot about this post.

Anyway, the lease is in front of me and it says this:

Enclosed please find a new renewal agreement with option for lease terms. Please sign and return to the Management Office. Should you have any questions about the new multiple options renewal, please contact the Management office. YOUR LEASE WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW FOR 12 MONTHS AT THE RATE INDICATED FOR THE 12 MONTH LEASE TERM IF YOU DO NOT RETURN YOUR SIGNED RENEWAL.

That's the exact wording. How exactly is it an "agreement" if I'm required to sign and return, but if I dont - it will automatically renew at the new rate.

So stupid!!
What does your original lease state? The one you signed when you moved into the place.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Why play games? If you intend to stay sign and return, if not give notice of your intention not to renew and move.
It's a pretty standard wording in lease renewals, they need to know if they will have an upcoming vacancy, perhaps they have a waiting list

Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I'm not sure about this exactly wording but it basically means the responsibility is on you to let them know if you are staying or leaving
Not the other way around (them to chase you down for your answer)
Not a big deal

Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
It's an agreement because you signed it. You could have crossed it out and sent it back and agreed on something else.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 AM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
A couple things. First, in order to increase your rent, they have to send you a "Notice to Quit" terminating your lease effective a certain date (depending upon the circumstances), and a "Notice of Rent Increase".

If they did not send those two notices (they can be attached together, but must have language stating "lease terminated, here's new lease with new rent") then the rent increase is ineffective.

However, if they did send those notices in the correct way, then the rent increase is "automatic" meaning, if you stay, you have effectively agreed to it. A signature isn't necessary. If you feel the rent increase is high, look to your local ordinance to see if there's a rent control ordinance in place. Also, NJ law prohibits "unconscionable" rent increases. What is "unconscionable"? Depends upon a number of factors, but that's for a judge to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: