Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:42 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The biggest problem with I-81 are the speed traps, especially in southern Virginia (Wythe County). I got caught there many years ago, and after doing some Googling, apparently that particular area is notorious for speeding tickets.
The worst part of I-81 to me is that the 18 wheelers try to pass each other either:

a) going uphill and losing speed, or
b) going about 1 mph faster than the truck they're passing, thus taking FOREVER!

Even worse are the idiot car drivers in the left lane that can't maintain speed and let the truckers muscle into the left lane rather than making them wait for a large enough break in traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No, I meant heading towards there via the GSP. That part going to the East Orange and Newark is always heavily congested during workdays and also dangerous with heavy bottlenecking along the right lanes and cars flying by on the left.

The reason why it's the deadliest as I forementioned that many sections are extremely difficult to navigate due to the tight sweeping turns, elevation changes, and lane splits that causes congestions.

The speed trap is simply having spots where police setup lasers pointing at elevation changes to catch speeders going over. They cause more problems because once drivers come up on the speed trap they immediately slow down causing cars behind them to mash the brakes. I don't think speed traps work and you never see police setup speed traps on straights where people really do speed due to open straight roads. It's always a blind spot somewhere so it's essentially a meal ticket than actually preventing speeding.

I once mentioned to my wife that a curvy section on the GSP looks so dangerous that if you lose control and run into the medium you'll be crashing into a supporting wall of an underpath. It's very common for cars to lose control on a racetrack with similar curve configuration but you never see a concrete barrier. I can imagine if someone ever gets cut off and run off the road it'll be fatal.
In the era of Waze and radar detection, there is little excuse for getting a ticket. Laser enforcement is only about 20% of all tickets, the vast majority of enforcement is conventional radar and pacing. So if you are paying attention and focusing on business and utilize Waze on an I-pad, you should not get into accidents or be pulled offer for speeding violations. The GSP is safe, but it requires attentive driving.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:51 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
GSP is the most dangerous highway. I drive 35 miles each way and almost without exception, there are multiple accidents every days. Most of the accidents are in the Essex county portion of the parkway.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
GSP is the most dangerous highway. I drive 35 miles each way and almost without exception, there are multiple accidents every days. Most of the accidents are in the Essex county portion of the parkway.
From 129 to 153 it blows. No other road have I ever been on with five lanes of traffic going each way and it is always congested, with cars constantly changing lanes.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
GSP is fine , the worst road in NJ is RT 22 no question.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:11 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
GSP is fine , the worst road in NJ is RT 22 no question.
Especially Springfield/Union area with shopping centers in the middle of the road! Though it ain't much better further west either.
They don't call it the double doozy for no reason.

Any road like 1, 9, 18, 35, 70, 73, 130 with a speed limit of 45-55 mph and strip malls along it and mainly at-grade intersections that serves as a major artery in an area flat out sucks. These roads in my experience are typical of Jersey and not much elsewhere. There are thorough highways to serve places like Long Island and my area of Pennsylvania north of Philly. In Jersey they mostly seem to compromise between a business corridor and a highway. Sorry I do not consider this type of road to be a real highway!

Old 03-25-2018, 11:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The accidents are caused by absolutely stupid drivers, not the roadway, which is generally exemplary. Texting and phone conversations are probably the main culprit. Perhaps we should start with selective jamming along certain segments of roadways as an experiment. Nobody needs to be on the phone driving a car at 70mph. If your entire family was kidnapped or is dying in a fiery explosion there is still no reason to know about it while driving your car. Nobody knew when their family members were in emergency rooms in the 1950s and everything went just fine. There's nothing you can do about it anyway and you'll find out about it when you get home.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...478087403.html

Here's a deadly accident today by me on the GSP. It sounds like what happened here is one of the car probably the lady driver doesn't have an EZpass or is attempting to cross into a different toll booth lane and then getting plowed by another car.

I often see this and I honk when some moron is slowing down and being indecisive about being which lane to go. Either Cash or EZ Pass and there are traffic and they have less than a few secs to make the move and usually criss crosses 3-4 lanes to get to a cash lane and it is very dangerou as there are cars going like 35mph and not stopping to try to go through EZpass lane.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:

Here's a deadly accident today by me on the GSP. It sounds like what happened here is one of the car probably the lady driver doesn't have an EZpass or is attempting to cross into a different toll booth lane and then getting plowed by another car.

I often see this and I honk when some moron is slowing down and being indecisive about being which lane to go. Either Cash or EZ Pass and there are traffic and they have less than a few secs to make the move and usually criss crosses 3-4 lanes to get to a cash lane and it is very dangerou as there are cars going like 35mph and not stopping to try to go through EZpass lane.
Drive the GSP a good deal and it's not the road ,it's the drivers! The GSP is one of the better roads in the country when it comes to the signs for EZ pass warnings, my question back at you is do you really think hitting your horn is going to stop a driver from being stupid?

Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:

It says that police suspect a possible medical emergency. She was 83, it could just be another case of "this old person probably shouldn't be driving." No matter what happened, it's sad for her and her family.

People should know in advance whether they have an EZpass on hand, cash, or change. I always have a bunch of quarters in my car just in case. And if you have to, you could go through the EZpass lane without an EZpass. Or the change lane without any change. You'll likely be fined, especially for the EZpass violation, but... don't be dumb next time. We're lucky we don't have those gates that block the EZpass lane until it registers the EZpass like they do on a lot of the NYC bridges. I always wonder what people do when they try to go through without an EZpass, or think they have it but left it in the weekend convertible or something. Anyway, a lot of dangerous driving just comes down to people being freaking stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey