Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times

Advertisements

I always try to avoid the GSP as much because I think it's one of the most dangerous highways around here.

A lot of sharp turns, steep corners, and elevation changes. Huge difference in speeds between the lanes. You can be going around 65-75mph on one lane and next to you a few cars going just below 50mph as it approaches exits huge bottlenecks occur because certain exits always jam up more often than on the Turnpike.

The exits near the border of Central and South NJ is super tricky as some sections go from 5 to just 3 lanes splitting with express and local. There are deep ditches on either side, if anyone loses control of their car and careens off road they will most likely flip the car and cause death.

GSP also has a lot more Police patrols than the Turnpike which adds another thing to watch for, speed traps.

During the day, the GSP is just a mess to drive near Parsippany and Newark area, huge bottlenecks everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 AM

455 posts, read 662,389 times
GSP is no where near Parsippany.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 AM

857 posts, read 826,968 times
How do the speed traps work? Are they sticky or do they use the spring method?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 AM

88,003 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Lol, yes, I wondered about that one, too.

I hate the Parkway, too, but it's the most direct route to visit my mother in Bergen County. I can do the Turnpike, but that's a longer way around.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:14 AM

595 posts, read 1,549,280 times
I agree with you! GSP is a mess! the turnpike is a nice, easy highway for the most part! look at the amount of accidents on GSP too

Old 03-21-2018, 07:33 AM

88,003 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
I agree with you! GSP is a mess! the turnpike is a nice, easy highway for the most part! look at the amount of accidents on GSP too
There are always accidents on the GSP, and there have been some very bad ones.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,600,305 times
The lanes are also very narrow, sometimes it looks like I'm going to take out another cars side view mirror. Maybe it's because I'm used to I80 and turnpike where lanes are wider to accommodate tractor trailers.

Of all the roads I travel in NJ, I80, I280, I287 and I78 the turnpike, the GSP imo has the WORST drivers

Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,832,767 times
You probably think that because statistics show it.

The deadliest highways in New Jersey last year | NJ.com

Old 03-21-2018, 09:07 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,499,374 times
Just close yer eyes, stomp it, step on it, tune for minimum smoke. Piece of cake.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
No, I meant heading towards there via the GSP. That part going to the East Orange and Newark is always heavily congested during workdays and also dangerous with heavy bottlenecking along the right lanes and cars flying by on the left.

The reason why it's the deadliest as I forementioned that many sections are extremely difficult to navigate due to the tight sweeping turns, elevation changes, and lane splits that causes congestions.

The speed trap is simply having spots where police setup lasers pointing at elevation changes to catch speeders going over. They cause more problems because once drivers come up on the speed trap they immediately slow down causing cars behind them to mash the brakes. I don't think speed traps work and you never see police setup speed traps on straights where people really do speed due to open straight roads. It's always a blind spot somewhere so it's essentially a meal ticket than actually preventing speeding.

I once mentioned to my wife that a curvy section on the GSP looks so dangerous that if you lose control and run into the medium you'll be crashing into a supporting wall of an underpath. It's very common for cars to lose control on a racetrack with similar curve configuration but you never see a concrete barrier. I can imagine if someone ever gets cut off and run off the road it'll be fatal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey