Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:21 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times

Advertisements

It doesn't make sense to me.

Mill Hill has a lot to make it an up and coming neighborhood.

- close to mass transit, including Trenton transit center

- is in the capital so it is close to state jobs.

- very walkable

- historic and very beautiful

I just don't know why it hasn't attracted a growing influx of young urban professionals or professionals, in general.

It would be nice if you could see bars, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. to attract them.

Does Trenton have to build a Whole Foods to attract them? More art galleries wouldn't hurt either. I know that Trenton has a sizable arts scene. It is close to Rider and TCNJ which would could help boom the arts scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
This is the million dollar question -- there truly does seem to be so much potential and at times it seems promising but I will say I have been in the general area for over 25 years and it has only declined and stagnated.
Hope springs eternal and I hope the time is now.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:34 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Mill Hill made a brief comeback in 2008ish when HHG Associates bought and renovated 25 of those historically significant homes. They did a beautiful job of maintaining the architectural features of those beautiful homes.

They mostly sold to people w/o kids or people who could afford private school. The Trenton School District tends to compete with Camden for the worst in the State.

Here is where the neighbourhood is now-

Mill Hill residents in Trenton meet with police about recent burglaries in their neighborhood | NJ.com

It is just sad.

The HHG group have been bastions of Trenton for many years, sadly the mess that is Trenton prevails.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
"........ And the woman went on: a burglar came back to her house three days later and tried to use her own set of keys - the woman's purse had been stolen - and unable to get in, the burglar left the keys on a hook outside her house................Another resident said the same thing happened to him, a burglar apparently returned to his home three days later, driving away with his car......."

I can't imagine living under those circumstances. A prisoner in you own neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
"........ And the woman went on: a burglar came back to her house three days later and tried to use her own set of keys - the woman's purse had been stolen - and unable to get in, the burglar left the keys on a hook outside her house................Another resident said the same thing happened to him, a burglar apparently returned to his home three days later, driving away with his car......."

I can't imagine living under those circumstances. A prisoner in you own neighborhood.
Unfortunately, that is probably the case for a lot of those home owners. There is currently a house on the market for 183,900. It was purchased in '05 for 255,000. It has been on the market for over 240 days, the taxes are over 8,300.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times
Because its in Trenton. Sorry to say but that's pretty much why.

Longer story is that gentrification always starts with a pocket and starts to grow out. Question is what's the pace and does it carry enough momentum to keep gentrification. Maya Hill as far as I'm aware is not.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

Longer story is that gentrification always starts with a pocket and starts to grow out. Question is what's the pace and does it carry enough momentum to keep gentrification. Maya Hill as far as I'm aware is not.
Mill Hill could not overcome the mean streets of Trenton but the stalwart HHG associates have not given up on Trenton. They have recently completed the renovation of Roebling Wire and opened Roebling Lofts.
Roebling Lofts: NJ's Best Lofts for Rent | Green Design

Hopefully, this project will take off.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 AM

311 posts, read 477,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

Yeah, pretty much this.

Gentrification is going to be very slow in coming to Trenton, if it ever does. Its an interesting question to ponder. As to the OP's points:

close to mass transit, including Trenton transit center : True, but I don't know how much this really buys you. If you have to commute to NYC, or Philly, there are plenty of more desirable locations much closer to either city.

is in the capital so it is close to state jobs. : Yes, but keep in mind that most of those jobs don't necessarily attract tons of young people relocating from some other place (as is the case in say, Silicon Valley or NYC, or even Pittsburgh or Philly), which usually helps to provide an influx of young people who are looking to make new friends (and thus live close to other young people), as well as be near where they work. That is usually a big driver of gentrification.

I know its anecdotal, but I know quite a few people working those state jobs, and most of them are there mainly because they offer employment near where they are already settled (which is usually not in Trenton).

very walkable Really? Not being sarcastic, but are there really areas in Trenton where you would enjoy going for a long stroll? I would honestly like to know, maybe there are areas I am unfamiliar with...

historic and very beautiful Well, it is historic, ill give you that

Old 03-23-2018, 07:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
The problem with Trenton, in general, is that it is kind of in "no man's land" in terms of location. It's too far from NYC and Philly to be desirable to people commuting into those cities (there are far more better, closer options to both cities). So really, unless you happen to have a state job working in Trenton there is really no appeal to living there.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times
I agree with the previous comment, it's too far from both Philly and NYC

If you want to live in an "improving" neighborhood, there are plenty of those in Philadelphia itself and you will have the added bonus of living in a real city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey