Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,813,720 times

Advertisements

I guess my town contracted a 3rd party company to re-assess my house, they do that every 5 years. Do you usually let them into your house to have a look? What is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,615,738 times
Yes

Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,088,757 times
I let them in. It was no big deal at all. They were here for less than 5 minutes. Ultimately there was no change to my taxes.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM

482 posts, read 722,296 times
Absolutely not. But it’s depends where you think you stand in regards to interior improvements/condition compared to your neighbors. If you have below average, older kitchen etc then I would say it would make more sense as your taxes could go down. If I have really nice finishes, materials, etc what would the motivation be to let them in? You’d be better off not letting them in and have them guess the interior quality. Although they put in their letter they will assume high end interiors if they don’t get access, but there’s still nothing but upside if your House has a nice interior and you don’t let them in.

This is especially true if you live in a very old town, and your house has updated bathrooms, kitchen, central air, the works. Don’t forget there are plenty of houses in town that still have 100 yr old bathrooms, painted shut casement windows, knob and tube electricity, etc that bring down the town average.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,088,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Absolutely not. But it’s depends where you think you stand in regards to interior improvements/condition compared to your neighbors. If you have below average, older kitchen etc then I would say it would make more sense as your taxes could go down. If I have really nice finishes, materials, etc what would the motivation be to let them in? You’d be better off not letting them in and have them guess the interior quality. Although they put in their letter they will assume high end interiors if they don’t get access, but there’s still nothing but upside if your House has a nice interior and you don’t let them in.

This is especially true if you live in a very old town, and your house has updated bathrooms, kitchen, central air, the works. Don’t forget there are plenty of houses in town that still have 100 yr old bathrooms, painted shut casement windows, knob and tube electricity, etc that bring down the town average.
That really only matters if you did recent improvements since the last assessment was done. If you have a high end kitchen that was already picked up in the last assessment then your taxes already reflect that.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

482 posts, read 722,296 times
Not entirely. It’s fairly subjective and goes beyond physical upgrades. If you have nice furniture drapery etc. ie if your House generally appears to be decently above average compared to your neighbors, then I personally say, take the chance and keep the door closed. It is not a requirement after all

Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,813,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post

That was my concern, the last owner did some renovations, and I have a brand new kitchen and all the new bathrooms.

My taxes is already one of the highest on the block, I don't know how much higher it will go if I don't let them in.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 AM

If you do not let them in they are allowed to assess high because they can make the assumption you are hiding improvements.

They are aware of the game and they have rules to cover that

Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,126,396 times
We let them in when they conducted the revaluation in Wyckoff back in 2013.

This was a Q&A that was in the revaluation pamphlet:

Q. What typically happens when the property owner denies the field inspector access to the property/home or does not call to schedule an interior inspection with a field inspector?

A. The appraiser determining value must assume that the basement is fully finished as living area, the interior has been completely remodeled, all available possible amenities have been added and all areas (attics, basements and lofts) have been improved.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: