Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times

Advertisements

So there was no mold on the initial inspection and the contractors you hired to work up there for a day didn't say anything about costing extra to work in a hazardous condition like mold and you made the situation better with said contractor I wouldn't worry about it at this point. No good contractor would willingly put themselves in the way of danger when they can charge you extra to fix a problem.

If you don't see white or black blotches it's very unlikely you have attic mold. Go look at some photos online, it's pretty easy to recognize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 01:37 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
So if you were selling your place and your attic looked the same, is it something you would be concerned with? I feel like the issue has been fully contained, as the insulation issue was resolved a few years ago so now it airs out properly. It hasn't been a concern to me until now since I'm selling soon.
No, I wouldn't be concerned. If it doesn't look bad, leave it. The attic vents outside, so that means there's going to be some mold. If inspectors note it as a concern, you may have to clean it up.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,291 times
I am currently in the process of buying a home. We just finished the home inspection last night and there was significant mold in the attic. Someone had stuffed the soffit vents with insulation, and they were venting the bathrooms into the attic instead of outside. Now, we are not going to walk away from the house, but we are going to pressure the sellers to remediate before we close. I don't know of a buyer that would be ok with an attic full of mold. Mold exists when an attic isn't properly ventilated, so why would you expect a buyer to be ok with something that was improperly done? It's one of those "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of treatment" things. Unfortunately you're in the "treatment" stage and someone is going to pay for remediation. At this point you're going to have to disclose the mold to the buyer anyway so you might as well also show that it was taken care of. The longer it goes untreated, the worse it will get, and the more expensive it becomes to fix.

As for testing. We used Shane at Terripin Home Inspections. He is also a certified mold inspector and will test for us. You might be a little far out of his way but it's worth asking. The test is easy. He'll give you a suggestion on what to do based on the results. It might be that you don't have to do anything if it's all within limits. But you'll want those test results to show buyers. If Shane can't do it, search for a home inspector that is also a certified mold inspector. You should get a more impartial suggestion that way.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about mold in a house you haven't seen.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnair88 View Post
I am currently in the process of buying a home. We just finished the home inspection last night and there was significant mold in the attic. Someone had stuffed the soffit vents with insulation, and they were venting the bathrooms into the attic instead of outside. Now, we are not going to walk away from the house, but we are going to pressure the sellers to remediate before we close. I don't know of a buyer that would be ok with an attic full of mold. Mold exists when an attic isn't properly ventilated, so why would you expect a buyer to be ok with something that was improperly done? It's one of those "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of treatment" things. Unfortunately you're in the "treatment" stage and someone is going to pay for remediation. At this point you're going to have to disclose the mold to the buyer anyway so you might as well also show that it was taken care of. The longer it goes untreated, the worse it will get, and the more expensive it becomes to fix.

As for testing. We used Shane at Terripin Home Inspections. He is also a certified mold inspector and will test for us. You might be a little far out of his way but it's worth asking. The test is easy. He'll give you a suggestion on what to do based on the results. It might be that you don't have to do anything if it's all within limits. But you'll want those test results to show buyers. If Shane can't do it, search for a home inspector that is also a certified mold inspector. You should get a more impartial suggestion that way.
Houses with a property vented attic have mold. It's humid in the summer. The relative humidity is high most of the year. There's going to be mold.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 AM

157 posts, read 218,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
So there was no mold on the initial inspection and the contractors you hired to work up there for a day didn't say anything about costing extra to work in a hazardous condition like mold and you made the situation better with said contractor I wouldn't worry about it at this point. No good contractor would willingly put themselves in the way of danger when they can charge you extra to fix a problem.

If you don't see white or black blotches it's very unlikely you have attic mold. Go look at some photos online, it's pretty easy to recognize.
That is a great point about the contractors working in the attic all day without saying anything about it. They were aware of the improper insulation and re-did everything (removed old/damaged insulation) and re-insulated with blown-in cellulose and unstuffed the sides for proper ventilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnair88 View Post

The root cause, being the improper ventilation, was resolved a couple years ago when I hired professional insulation contractors to pull everything out and re-do it properly. Visually, there are no black or white blotches, and attic is just generally dark and dusty as many attics tend to be. I understand that mold will exist, and I don't have a good understanding of what "within limits" really means around here. After all, some people are more or less sensitive to mold. But yes, I am looking for an impartial inspector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Houses with a property vented attic have mold. It's humid in the summer. The relative humidity is high most of the year. There's going to be mold.

Those were my initial thoughts, so I've been looking for sanity checks on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey