Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:27 AM

123 posts, read 178,002 times

Advertisements

Birds of feather flock together. Redlining is still happening, though it's not necessarily a racial issue. Colored or not, try to buy/keep a house where ultra-Orthodox Jews are establishing a community outpost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 AM

343 posts, read 226,718 times
I don't see this in my area. I live in Rahway. It's pretty mixed and there is little issue. It's getting slowly more hipstery so that might change but who knows. Even hipsters can be any ethnicity so that does not speak to your premise.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:21 PM
46H

1,643 posts, read 1,376,919 times
The reason is not redlining. Redlining is when a loan and/or insurance is denied to someone living in an area that is considered to be a bad financial risk.

For many years leading up to the 1960s, there were restrictive covenants and deed restrictions based on religion and race. This is what kept towns white. The Supreme Court ruled these covenants unenforceable in 1948, but it took until 1968 to make these covenants illegal. Also, real estate agents helped towns to remain white by steering buyers away from certain areas based on the buyers race. Some of this is still going on today.

1948?1968: Unenforceable Restrictive Covenants
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_steering

Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,830,068 times
Yeah. And that practice of denying insurance and loans happened to be primarily in areas where non-white communities were living. The restrictive covenants were helped out by the redlines, but the HOLC maps still hold sway on communities today.

How do you think covenants and brokers knew to steer people away from areas? Redlining. They go hand in hand, but redlining was the start, brokers used those maps from 1934.

https://nextcity.org/features/view/r...ia-segregation
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...olving/433065/

Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 AM

966 posts, read 1,119,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
We're not. Livingston is 24% minority. South Orange is 40% minority. Maplewood is 34% minority. Montclair is 38% minority. Even Millburn is 20% minority. And Edison is 56% minority.
I know SO/Maplewood and Montclair have significant black popluations but at the same time have not seen white flight. No idea what is going on in Millburn and Livingston though.

I lived in Edison for a while. The 56% of its population that is minority is almost all Indians, and some Chinese as well. The Edison area is known for this. It actually started in Iselin (Woodbridge) which is now known as "Little India" along Oak Tree Ave. Almost every middle to upper middle class town in that area is at least 20% Asian nowadays.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,468,360 times
NJ is economically segregated. Personally, I don't believe race is the key driver. You have the money, you can live anywhere you want

It's because of the way we have set up suburban schools to be completely dependent on their local tax base. Taxpayers are essentially funding what are quasi-private schools.

Let's get some school choice going and you'll see these barriers break down.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:32 AM

18,409 posts, read 15,108,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I know SO/Maplewood and Montclair have significant black popluations but at the same time have not seen white flight. No idea what is going on in Millburn and Livingston though.

I lived in Edison for a while. The 56% of its population that is minority is almost all Indians, and some Chinese as well. The Edison area is known for this. It actually started in Iselin (Woodbridge) which is now known as "Little India" along Oak Tree Ave. Almost every middle to upper middle class town in that area is at least 20% Asian nowadays.
Livingston and Millburn have large Asian populations. To the left, Asians dont really count as being “diverse” because that destroys the illusion they try to create by masking economic segregation as racial segregation. It doesn't fit the racist narrative, so for all intents and purposes, Asians are white.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 AM

157 posts, read 216,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Livingston and Millburn have large Asian populations. To the left, Asians dont really count as being “diverse” because that destroys the illusion they try to create by masking economic segregation as racial segregation. It doesn't fit the racist narrative, so for all intents and purposes, Asians are white.
This has been my perception as well. I'm part Asian/caucasian, and back when I had applied to various universities, I marked myself as Caucasian instead of Asian because Asians were/are expected to have higher GPAs and standardized test scores than the mean at many universities. With the required ethnic quotas that higher educational institutions mandate, the Asian pool generally tends to be more competitive.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 AM

18,516 posts, read 10,451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
I studied some sociology in college

This is just my own personal opinions.
I took a cooking class in school I am not a Chef, I took history in school I am not an Historian, I took math in school I am not a Mathematician,....get my point.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM

123 posts, read 178,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
I'm part Asian/caucasian,
Caucasians live in Asia (look at the map of Russia). Thus Caucasians can be Asians. "Asian" is not a race. Do Indians and Chinese belong to the same race? Don't think so. Just another example of how ridiculous these racial/ethnicity/minority/majority discussions can become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey