Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times

Advertisements

If you're looking at Madison have a glance at Cranford. Schools aren't as good as Westfield but it's a stop or two closer and a renovated home should be in your budget. You can also look a little further out at Scotch Plains as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
[quote=Allthisstuffnow;51665739]Thank you all for the suggestion.

We visited Princeton, loved one of the house we saw but then decided against it as it is really far.

It might be too far, but just so you and any future readers know, Princeton has a connecting "dinky" that goes to Princeton Junction (West Windsor). The commute from Princeton (actual Princeton) would be longer than from Princeton Junction because of the extra connection and timing).

Old 04-23-2018, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 14,952 times
Scotch plains really has some good houses, but no one I know has recommended this town so far. We did visit Scotch Plains and also did not like the town so much. We will be visiting again when it gets little warmer.

@Mayvenne- yes we researched the dinky option. We saw houses near Princeton Junction. I did not know Princeton junction and Princeton are different. Thanks for this information.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM

It's a nice town but it's a little far out and doesn't really have as vibrant a downtown as Westfield, it's kind of like Springfield but with a train, you know? There's nothing wrong with it but there's not as much there there.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/r...www.google.com

Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,238 times
I am a broken record but Rutherford sounds perfect for you and it is very easy to check out from Clifton. We will be listing our 4-BR house soon for $579K. It is on a beautiful street two blocks from a middle school, a 20 min. walk from the train station and under 10 mins. from the bus. The town also has a shuttle to and from the train if you don't like walking. We have been very happy here.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM

If it's so great why are you leaving? (I kid, circumstances change!)

Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 AM

69 posts, read 93,726 times
If you like Ridgewood I would also consider Glen Rock, Ramsey (is a bit farther north but has a nice downtown and a good family atmosphere), Oradell, River Edge, and the surrounding areas. As I said earlier you may not get a brand new house in these towns but you will get a good house with good schools, the commute you are looking for, and nice communities with amenities for families.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 AM

14 posts, read 14,952 times
@ Jaymoney- I think that might be it as we first went to Scotch Plains and then to Westfield and loved Westfield. As per school digger, SP have very good school district so we are bit hesitant to take it off our list.

@BergenCounty native- We are considering GlenRock as well but house are old and not updated. We have realized that we will not get a brand new house but do hope to find a good updated house where we do not have to do lot of work.

@Ninasimonejr- Do let me know when you list

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Well, as someone who also likes Westfield, you can always drive over and visit it. Because finding a place in Westfield that's walkable to downtown is going to be very expensive and a fairly tight market, so you're probably going to be driving there anyway.

That said, if you can find a place walkable to any downtown it's fantastic. We are about five walkable minutes from Cranford's center and it's the main reason we took the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey