Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:38 AM

585 posts, read 492,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
287 north of Morristown is not bad traffic wise. I believe south is a different story. Route 80 West of Parsippany is notoriously bad traffic wise. I believe there would be some alternative routes depending on where exactly you end up.

You could also look into the Butler/Bloomingdale area if your wife ends up working somewhere north of Morristown.

From Morristown you can take 53 that avoids 287 all together and you miss the Route 80 Denville hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I've commuted to Morristown from Warren County for the past 22 years. For 10 years I did it from Independence Twp. (just west of Hackettstown) and for the last 12 years from Oxford. It was far worse from Independence driving Route 80E and 287S then it is from Oxford driving Route 78E and 287N.

The time you commute is key as well. I leave my house just after 6:00 in the morning and get out of work at 3:30. Most of the time it takes me 50 minutes (the drive is about 47 miles). Of course, if there is an accident or it's the sun glare time of the year. Honestly, the longest part (time wise) of my commute is Route 31 getting to and from Route 78.

Yes, hours make a big difference. I work in Cedar Knolls 9-4, but I stay until 5 on Fridays. Big difference when you can leave outside of rush hour. I'm Union County now, so I tend to go through the Great Swamp and only hit 287 for a couple miles south of Morristown now. I used to have to be on 287 by Somerville. So glad I'm done with that.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 PM

157 posts, read 218,224 times
I second removing Dover from your list. Personally I'm also not a big fan of Wharton (despite some awesome local delis), but guess some people might like it. Hopatcong, Rockway, and Mine Hill should have all the amenities you're seeking in your price range though.

Strongly recommend renting for a bit to get a feel for the areas. When I first moved here, I rented an inexpensive place in Parsipanny, paid half a month's rent to break my lease, and then bought a place in Denville, close to the edge of Rockaway. It's not difficult to break a lease with a lot of places since inventory is so low in a lot of areas.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Definitely rent for a year or two or five. The list of towns on here is making my head spin and I grew up here.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 PM

109 posts, read 345,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
We've narrowed down our search, and have really been focusing on Hopatcong, Dover, Rockway, Wharton, and Mine Hill. The homes seem to be very reasonably priced, they're very close to Morristown, and the proximity to the state park and lake seem like a big perk. Is there some reason to avoid this area?
IMO, I would find a place close to route 53 like someone else mentioned. If you move to one of those areas and have to take the 80-287 routes, you will regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey