Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
The things that stood out to me were the fact that they had no 529's, but where spending 18k a year on charitable donations. That seems off. That would be the first thing I'd adjust.
Anything else you all noticed?
I know several well off families that don't contribute to 529's.
1. They may gain better returns elsewhere (e.g. real estate, managed funds, etc), even with deferring taxes on the 529 returns.
2. If their children get merit based scholarships (since they definitely won't qualify for need based) the 529 balance would be useless. Yes I know you can use it for the grandchildren, but you're locking up the funds for another 20-40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
This is scraping by because of their lifestyle. Change lifestyle and they will not 'getby' on 500k.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Toyota Land Cruisers cost $85k and you buy them (never lease them) because they last forever. They could be in an Explorer or something similar for less than half of a Land Cruiser. If they stay in Brooklyn, the BMW needs to go. The article does not mention parking either. These two people lack common sense and are showoffs.

They really need to move to the suburbs and buy a house for 750K - 950k with good public schools. Based on the article, they might be able to clear enough from their apt to have no mortgage or a small mortgage. Once you are in the suburbs, everything costs less - day care, lessons, food, insurance.

The food bill is silly, too.

They could easily go from scraping by to wads of excess cash. Based on the article, they still would be scraping by.......

Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
They are not even close to scraping by, they are living high off the hog.

My son, dil, grandson live in Carroll Gardens Bklyn, not too shabby a hood by any far stretch of the imagination. Part time pre school & part time nanny, One Honda Car, 1-2 vacations, they live quite well and don't bring down 500k a year either.

Curious why o/p posted in NJ forum and not NYC forum

Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

857 posts, read 834,503 times
What a joke. There are other nice good neighborhoods in Brooklyn where you can buy an apartment or home for far less then 1.5 million. Maybe not as hip as Park Slope but shouldn’t being cool and hip be considered a necessity even at the expense of college savings? Every friend I have in Park Slope has such brilliant children that there all going to receive scholarships to the Ivy Leagues anyway.
The writer blows off the idea of having only one car as not really much as it would only equate to 4500 a year in savings. That kind of thinking gets people into trouble.
Furthermore my sympathy goes out to the subject. To think that he had to live in a studio apartment in Manhattan on only 40k in 1999 is so sad. If only it was possible to move to Queens where I bought my first apartment when I was making 24k in the same year.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:21 AM

565 posts, read 722,391 times
NjKate--

because people in NJ are still living in the NYC market, and because cost of living threads come up pretty often. Most recently the "can a family get by on 150k in Monmouth county" thread.

Also, I just like talking budgets and cost of living stuff in general.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 AM

538 posts, read 733,052 times
The article doesn't make it very clear, but this is a hypothetical example of a possible Brooklyn couple that the blogger that runs the site created pretty much for the purpose of driving traffic to hid blog so he can get ad money. As the article is almost 3 years old and is still obviously going around, he at seems to have achieved his goal.

The fact that they're hypothetical is probably why a few things don't add up. Two cars in Brooklyn and $9K per year in lessons for non-school aged children stand out to me.

Sure, this is an example of how you get get caught up in the rat race (mo money, mo problems) but to call them 'struggling' in the same way you'd refer to a family of 4 with an income of $45k is pretty deceiving.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 AM

857 posts, read 834,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
I know several well off families that don't contribute to 529's.
1. They may gain better returns elsewhere (e.g. real estate, managed funds, etc), even with deferring taxes on the 529 returns.
2. If their children get merit based scholarships (since they definitely won't qualify for need based) the 529 balance would be useless. Yes I know you can use it for the grandchildren, but you're locking up the funds for another 20-40 years.
Or you could just use it and pay the tax that you would have paid on any other investment anyway. It’s not like you put money in a 529 then it becomes useless if your child gets a scholarship or decides not to go to college.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
$10,000 a year for 'something always comes up'? WTF does that mean? They already have money set aside for home maintenance. They have auto insurance, property insurance, and I am assuming they have premier health insurance. They have a near $800 a month clothing budget. What 'miscellaneous' are they spending $10,000 a year on?

They are LEASING 2 vehicles...1 luxury sedan and 1 luxury gas guzzler...while living in NYC. Smart!

3 vacations a year? That's fine, but maybe take a road trip/stay local every once in a while to any number of great vacation spots in the vicinity...the Hamptons, Jersey Shore, OBX, the Berkshires, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, etc. etc.

$18,000 to charity, LOL. Feed the Children, OK, god bless. But alumni giving? Isn't it enough that you gave them $300,000 in tuition? Criminy.

So they have $7,300 left at the end of the year? I'm impressed that they haven't found something else to throw that money at. Country club, golf club membership. Doggie spa and yoga. Personal yogi and life coach. Scientology. Champagne glass hot tub.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The problem with working and living in NYC is that eventually the taxes and expenses will catch up to you if you lose your job or have some kind of lifestyle changes such as divorce which is 50% of all marriages. You can't afford to be in this high stakes rat race for long. At some point you will lose your job or get pushed out due to re-org, I've seen it too often working in NYC that you've been working for 8-10 yrs and a new big whig comes to town and pulls the rug from everyone there and you'll be forced to pack up. Then that's when the mortgage and high taxes will hurt really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: