Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 42,416 times

Advertisements

for a daytrip, they would be driving....I'd like to find something with a 2 to 2 1/2 hr drive from Easton, PA/Phillipsburg, NJ area (they are new to the area). They will probably go midweek prior to Memorial Day, before schools are out. Bus trip is out as they would have to have the option of returning home on their own schedule if necessary. I've looked at Monmouth, Asbury Park and Spring Lake so far, but would really also really appreciate suggestions.....pro's & con's of those or others. A boardwalk (one parent uses a cane/walker) would be nice, but not essential, scenic outdoor restaurants, benches for resting/viewing, good close parking and/or handicap parking (PA handicap license) and easily walkable areas. They're going mostly for ocean scenery and lunch.
Thanks!

Last edited by Chamix; 04-16-2018 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: additonal info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Maybe Long Branch,, nearby,,, looks like 78 to 287 to GSP South to Rt36.
Lately many have been thinking how long seniors can successfully or responsibly drive,,, only you can guess at that and depends how old they are and how "with it".

You're obviously talking major highways with usual traffic, etc.

Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/East...40.3042778!3e0

There are beaches at or near Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park and that Ocean Resort area adjacent.
Just make sure they can drive it or anywhere lengthy safely.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
The Pier Village area of Long Branch is nice because it has a boardwalk and a lot of businesses. It tends to get very crowded but a weekday prior to Memorial Day should be okay. Asbury Park is nice but some places on the boardwalk might not be open for the season yet on a weekday before Memorial Day, while Pier Village businesses are usually open all year long. Asbury has the convention center which is a beautiful old building that has stores, restaurants, and other businesses inside. Spring Lake is a beautiful town but feels very exclusive along the beachfront. Very wealthy, amazing houses, beach clubs, not much to do right at the boardwalk and beachfront. It has a downtown area a few blocks in from the beach. Both Asbury and Long Branch/Pier Village have some great restaurants. I know less about Spring Lake.

Asbury is becoming a very popular place, has a rather diverse scene but is family oriented. It's a prominent town for the LGBT community which has really helped revitalize it. Spring Lake is rather uppity, for lack of a better term, much different than Asbury or Long Branch, which is also family-oriented and coming back from a rough patch like Asbury. Asbury and Long Branch were popular destinations back in the day (many presidents would vacation in Long Branch and that area), then went through hard times, and are now on the upswing again - in the beachfront areas and for Asbury, the downtown as well. There are still areas to avoid but just driving through your parents will be fine, coming in off the highways.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
You don't mention how old your parents are. But drivers in NJ can be so crazy competitive. There are times I don't even venture out.

Lots of bus tours. Maybe a good way for them to venture out and stay active many years longer. I was surprised to see all the interesting day and longer Wolfs offers.

I have always felt Ocean City and Cape May are senior friendly. Cape May has a quaint outdoor mall, lots of fun little shops and benches. Ocean City has a great boardwalk.

Maybe you can go with them the first time. I took my father on day drives many times in his final years. It meant a lot to both of us..

Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM

14 posts, read 13,181 times
Post Day trip to the Jersey shore

So many options along the Jersey shore! As mentioned in other posts, the beach towns are pretty quiet during the week before mid-June. Once the kids are out of school, businesses have help, and the season truly begins. I would suggest Seaside or Point Pleasant. They have a boardwalk with arcades, fast food, etc. There are also sit down restaurants. Sea Girt and Spring Lake have boardwalks where they can stroll and enjoy the ocean view and then visit a local restaurant. Hope they have a great time!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:02 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The Pier Village area of Long Branch is nice because it has a boardwalk and a lot of businesses. It tends to get very crowded but a weekday prior to Memorial Day should be okay. Asbury Park is nice but some places on the boardwalk might not be open for the season yet on a weekday before Memorial Day, while Pier Village businesses are usually open all year long. Asbury has the convention center which is a beautiful old building that has stores, restaurants, and other businesses inside. Spring Lake is a beautiful town but feels very exclusive along the beachfront. Very wealthy, amazing houses, beach clubs, not much to do right at the boardwalk and beachfront. It has a downtown area a few blocks in from the beach. Both Asbury and Long Branch/Pier Village have some great restaurants. I know less about Spring Lake.

Asbury is becoming a very popular place, has a rather diverse scene but is family oriented. It's a prominent town for the LGBT community which has really helped revitalize it. Spring Lake is rather uppity, for lack of a better term, much different than Asbury or Long Branch, which is also family-oriented and coming back from a rough patch like Asbury. Asbury and Long Branch were popular destinations back in the day (many presidents would vacation in Long Branch and that area), then went through hard times, and are now on the upswing again - in the beachfront areas and for Asbury, the downtown as well. There are still areas to avoid but just driving through your parents will be fine, coming in off the highways.
Spring Lake is refined"not uppity"they don't have the Boardwalk stores or restaurants.Just two miles of some of the best beaches and Boardwalk in the state of NJ where people can come and stroll or sit and take in the Ocean air with out all the distracting junk. There is the Breakers hotel which is on the Ocean Front and has a very nice restaurant open to the public with a great ocean view. The fact that you're trying to sell asbury Park over Spring Lake is interesting ,you seem to have forgotten Spring Lake picturesque small beautiful town with it's multiple restaurants are great on any day and crystal clear lake which is the town's name sake or the beautiful St,Catherine's Church.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Spring Lake is refined"not uppity"they don't have the Boardwalk stores or restaurants.Just two miles of some of the best beaches and Boardwalk in the state of NJ where people can come and stroll or sit and take in the Ocean air with out all the distracting junk. There is the Breakers hotel which is on the Ocean Front and has a very nice restaurant open to the public with a great ocean view. The fact that you're trying to sell asbury Park over Spring Lake is interesting ,you seem to have forgotten Spring Lake picturesque small beautiful town with it's multiple restaurants are great on any day and crystal clear lake which is the town's name sake or the beautiful St,Catherine's Church.
I really just couldn't find a better word to describe the big difference between towns like Asbury and Long Branch and the very wealthy Spring Lake. They are very different atmospheres.

I am not trying to sell Asbury over Spring Lake. I recommended three areas (two of which OP mentioned him/herself) and despite the similarities between Asbury and Long Branch when compared to Spring Lake, they are all different types of places. It depends what OP's parents prefer. I do not care where OP's parents go, but OP said they want scenic outdoor restaurants and Asbury and Long Branch (at Pier Village) would be best for this because they have many beachfront dining options.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 04-16-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 AM

30 posts, read 42,416 times
thank you very much to all....you've given great recommendations with exactly what they are looking for that I will follow up on....M really is ok to drive (excellent health, driving rec. and sight, recent car check up)....she drove 600 mi from the midwest when they moved to the area a short time ago. Really appreciate all the input.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I also vote for Pier Village. There are shops and restaurants there close to each other, so it's easily walkable, and there are handicapped parking spots and benches on the boardwalk. It gets busy, but as JerseyGirl said above, a weekday at this time of year should be fine. My mom is in her 80s and walks with a cane, and I took her there. She enjoyed the day. We got lunch and went to the chocolate shop and then just sat on the bench and looked at the ocean for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey