Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

yes the Italian section is Cianci!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
^^^ Yes, that's true, but what is funny is, you really don't see that many Italians on Cianci St. There is a large Peruvian population along Market St., heading towards the falls. That was the Little Italy of Paterson, decades ago ( espcially towards Mill and Grand St. ). However, when Italy won the World Cup back in 06', there was a massive celebration going on at Lou Costello Park.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I'll tell you about the areas I know

Totowa Section: Quiet area. The area by Gelato's is very nice and you can't tell if your in Totowa or Paterson as you keep on driving.

Hillcrest: another great middle-class area. Nice and well-manicured homes. Mostly White and Hispanic. Some people say it's the best section of Paterson, but I don't agree. That would be, IMO the Manor section.

Great Falls Historic District: the falls are nice, but the area is not! The area has alot of potential though. New condos have been built by (and in) the old mills/factories. The area by Hinchcliffe, however, is very ghetto. Hopefully the entire area will change for the better.

Stoney Road: Not too familiar with this section.

South Paterson: The area is very vibrant and relatively safe, but it's not pretty aesthetically. This area is the epicenter of Middle Eastern culture in the city. Here you will find restaurants, shops, markets etc. that cater to almost everything middle eastern. Some Hispanic establishments can be seen here and there as well.

Lakeview: Middle-class area that borders Clifton. Crooks Ave. is the border between both cities. Very nice area. Largely Hispanic. The area is expensive. My father's good friend lives there and he pays close to $10,000 in taxes (you heard right, in Paterson!) In the northernmost part, however, you find the infamous Alabama Projects. They are going to be demolished soon. I don't know why projects were built in a neighborhood of bungalows and cape-cods. Luckily, the crime was contained there and this community remained intact.

Near Eastside:
I think this is kind of a hit-and-miss area. There are quiet streets in this area with well-kept homes. Then you have areas like 10th Ave. and sections of Park/17th Ave. that are ghetto and dangerous! The area is somewhat popular with African Americans and West Indians (largely Jamaicans).

Manor Section/Eastside Park Historic District:
Arguably the best section of the city! Here you'll find gorgeous and expensive Mansions and Eastside Park of course. There are also smaller homes in the area like colonials, tudors, bi-levels, and even some new construction. The area is predominantly African-American, with a sizable White population as well. It's the area by McLean Blvd., that merges into Route 20. Part of the area is bordered by the Passaic River and Elmwood Park is on the other side.

Sandy Hill:
Probably one of the worst sections of the city. Huge drug/gang activity. Housing is appalling. Nothing to see here folks, except a prime example of urban decay. Flee!

People's Park:
Vibrant Hispanic community on 21st ave. Shops, restaurants, Hair/nail salons, pharmacies, and many other businesses can be found there. Area is a mix of lower class and lower-middle class. Used to be mostly Italian in the past and some Italian people/businesses (Ginella's bakery!)can still be found in the area. Not so pretty aesthetically, but very safe. Cops patrol the business area constantly. The areas that border Sandy Hill are not so great.

Riverside:
Most of the area has nice homes, but there a few seedy parts. Area is mostly Hispanic and African-American to a lesser degree.

Downtown/CBD:
Here, you'll find municipal buildings and other historic buildings. The city hall is very nice. Most of all, it's the shopping destination of the city. Mostly clothes, jewelry, electronics, dollar, and beauty supply stores are found there. I never really shopped here. I opted for the nearby malls instead. The county jail is also here. All of the homes/apt buildings in the area are extremely rundown. Area is mostly Hispanic.

Old Dublin District: Never heard of it!

Little Italy: Never heard of it, unless your referring to People's Park (which was mostly Italian in the past).

Wrigley Park: IMO, the worst part of the city. Here, drugs and violence galore! Broken glass and litter everywhere in sight. Mostly African-American and a small number of Hispanics. Once, I gave my friend (who lived in this area) a ride home and I had people coming up to my car offering me "stuff". I sped (disregarding stop signs and red lights) until I was out of that section, LOL.

Northside: Not to sure about this area. I think the infamous River Towers are in this section.

Bunker Hill: Not familiar with it.
hey, i was wondering if you know how bad cedar street and dover street are.. cedars right off of madison ave, just before 20th ave and dovers right off cedar. do you know anything about that area?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
I lived in a huge mansion on Derrom ave in the East Side Park section for ten years when Mayor Graves ran Paterson ( the only politician I ever trusted by the way , great man ) if you want a 100 year old palace for what a split level ho hum ranch would cost in Bergen county across the river then buy in East Side Park.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 AM

90 posts, read 145,252 times
I know Patterson has some rundown neighborhoods. But let me tell you, growing up in NJ, some of the nicest ****ing places I have eaten food in NJ have been on that Arab Crooks/Main street in Patterson. Just amazing. I wonder how the commute is to midtown from Patterson, and whether there are any neighborhoods in Clifton/Patterson where you can go safely for a run/jogging at night?

Last edited by throwitdontshowit; 11-10-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwitdontshowit View Post
I know Patterson has some rundown neighborhoods. But let me tell you, growing up in NJ, some of the nicest ****ing places I have eaten food in NJ have been on that Arab Crooks/Main street in Patterson. Just amazing. I wonder how the commute is to midtown from Patterson, and whether there are any neighborhoods in Clifton/Patterson where you can go safely for a run/jogging at night?

Certainly, somebody who can't even spell Paterson correctly must be an expert regarding that city...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey