Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't know if I could ever move from property like that, it sounds like it would be our forever house.
I am going to miss it : ( My one neighbor is so jealous of our pond. He has a small, hand built one. I told him to dig a huge hole in his back yard...line it and fill it in - he has the property? Ours is just a seasonal pond - usually goes away by June the latest but it's here just long enough for the returning birds to enjoy. I had contemplated turning it into a year round thing but never got around to actually doing it... put in a nice bubbler... some trees... a little bridge - perhaps if we end up staying, I will make that my next project : ))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I am going to miss it : ( My one neighbor is so jealous of our pond. He has a small, hand built one. I told him to dig a huge hole in his back yard...line it and fill it in - he has the property? Ours is just a seasonal pond - usually goes away by June the latest but it's here just long enough for the returning birds to enjoy. I had contemplated turning it into a year round thing but never got around to actually doing it... put in a nice bubbler... some trees... a little bridge - perhaps if we end up staying, I will make that my next project : ))
Do you have 10 acres still? I'm looking at realtor.com, the largest property I see out by you is about 8 acres - 3 bed 1 bath cape.

I ended up doing a google map, I haven't been out the way in about 20 years. Beautiful country.

The hardest part of pond is the Heron's, like you said in your other post. I know someone that has a small pond, it has a tree growing over it, so you'd think the Heron couldn't see fish in it, wrong. The funny thing is, this guy lives a few blocks from a lake, where there are tons of fish, yet the Heron likes the private ponds the best.

I saw one hanging out at one of the other lakes last week. Wish I had my camera.

Hubby showed me a wood pecker hole yesterday. It's in a tree in our back yard. He was outside having coffee and heard it. I've heard them outside, but it's been a while since I've seen the hole in a tree.

About a month ago I was driving to my daughters school, turned my head left as I was driving on a road by the military base and what do I see, an owl standing on the ground. I kick myself for not stopping and taking a photo with my cell.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you have 10 acres still? I'm looking at realtor.com, the largest property I see out by you is about 8 acres - 3 bed 1 bath cape.

I ended up doing a google map, I haven't been out the way in about 20 years. Beautiful country.

The hardest part of pond is the Heron's, like you said in your other post. I know someone that has a small pond, it has a tree growing over it, so you'd think the Heron couldn't see fish in it, wrong. The funny thing is, this guy lives a few blocks from a lake, where there are tons of fish, yet the Heron likes the private ponds the best.

I saw one hanging out at one of the other lakes last week. Wish I had my camera.

Hubby showed me a wood pecker hole yesterday. It's in a tree in our back yard. He was outside having coffee and heard it. I've heard them outside, but it's been a while since I've seen the hole in a tree.

About a month ago I was driving to my daughters school, turned my head left as I was driving on a road by the military base and what do I see, an owl standing on the ground. I kick myself for not stopping and taking a photo with my cell.
I have just under 4 acres (3.67)... the rest went to my two neighbors. I have the corner lot. That 3 bdrm, 1 bath cape is a bargain by the way... Also has a huge pond. It's surrounded by farms. We had 3 herons fly over yesterday - typically only see one at a time but I guess mating season is upon us : ) My neighbor is slowly losing the battle with his fish and the heron. I wonder if the bears aren't stealing a few as well? Now hawks... how many different kind are there? We have a few different breads and I really don't know one from the other...we have the smaller, kind of speckled looking ones? And the large, standard kind as well. Had a huge one fly over yesterday - wing span had to be close to 7-feet! It's the smaller ones who I usually see goobling up my birds : (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey