Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM

36 posts, read 257,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can anyone help us with suggestions or recommendations. We are a young interracial (Polish & Peruvian), professional couple. We currently renting in Kearny because is close to NYC, highways, and used to attend grad 0.
school at NJIT but lately is getting harder to live in this place, is overpopulated, too urban, there is no parking and lately there is been some crimes because of the borderings towns.
We are looking for into a buying a home in the north jersey area, but very concerned with safety, diversity. Would like a place where there is some polish and peruvian people
Good schools (we have a baby)
SAFETY
Professional people, middle class
A town that is not border by dangerous areas.
Close to NYC or highways like Parkway which we use to commute to work.

We were looking into Nutley, Lyndhurst, but heard that there are some racists old people out there, who are not very accepting of other's cultures. Also tried into rutherford, but taxes are way too high.....

Any Suggestions, any recommendations.
Please we appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
My neighborhood (in Bloomfield) is very diverse with a number of interracial couples. The northern part of town is near the parkway, routes 3/46, about 30 min from NYC.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Polish & Peruvian? Interracial couple? Not in NJ would you be seen as that - we are a very Diverse State! Now Polish Neighborhood..maybe Whitehouse Station in Hunterdon County. They have a Polish club as well. Located of off Rt. 78 or Rt. 22..very suburban - very safe..great schools. I think you would love it! There's a place on 22 that makes the best Perogies!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Another suggestion - I hear Wallington NJ has the largest Polish population in NJ. May be worth checking out as well as White House Station. Union, I believe is another area worth looking into.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Elizabeth used to to have a HUGE Polish population (BayWay area). But with any group they have started drifting away. There are still alot of polish people, restaurants and delis and such but the "community" has moved on. But, its probably no better than where you are now.

Its hard to NOT find a hispanic community these days in most towns. Especially in North East NJ. I say find a place you love based on what it DOES offer and dont put restrictions of "Peruvian or Polish" areas. We moved to Edison specifically due to its diverse population, proximity to every major highway (287/NJTPK/GSP/1&9/27/35.....). Its still mostly white but the Asians have a strong presence and plenty of Latinos sprinkled about.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
We live in Maplewood/South Orange which is an extremely diverse area. Right on the Midtown Direct. It is a great community with many assets.

However, we border Newark and Irivington; but really you don't even know. There are many great parts of these towns that are closer to Millburn or West Orange if it is a real issue for you.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 03-26-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: I can't spell!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM

39 posts, read 157,340 times
I had a client in Maplewood, an interracial couple: caucasian American and Peruvian. The town borders Irvington which is generally a high-crime area, but don't let that scare you away. Maplewood is very different from its neighbor. It's diverse, has great schools, and ample public transportation.

No matter where you go, you run the risk of meeting people who are still uncomfortable with interracial marriage. I don't find that to be common in NJ; I've been here all my 22 years of life.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,742 times
I agree with wileynj in saying that a Peruvian and Polish couple is not viewed as interracial in NJ.

Not to mean any disrespect but my husband is a European mutt and I'm Asian and we don't see ourselves as being very different from any couple. It's not like you'll get stares or be ridiculed if you don't live in a diverse area. People in the metro area are alot more openminded than you think.

You'll be fine anywhere so try just looking at areas you can afford with good school districts. Don't limit yourself!

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
kimchee did you get my dm? This still alludes me I couldn't tell if it was sent...

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 PM

36 posts, read 257,194 times
Thank you so much for your responses :-) we appreciate it. we know interracial couples is common nowdays, our main goal is to find a place which is safe, diverse and accepting. we definitely don't want to put constrictions of where there is peruvian and polish people only. we enjoy being surrounded by other nationalities like asian, hispanics, whites...etc but some areas we've seen we felt one or the other would feel out of place. Although, it would be nice to find a place where there is some peruvian communities as well as polish. I heard of Saddlebrook, Elmwood park, any know anything of these areas? if they are diverse.
Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey