Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,884 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to NJ in June. I am new to this place. I have a job in mt. laurel. However, I want to stay in Robbinsville or East Windsor areas so that my wife can have the option of working near Edison or nearby. I also prefer staying around Indian restaurants and grocery shops. Me and my wife like to stay in the vibrant and happening area.

Is it preferable to travel for work from these locations to mt. laurel? How is the rush hour traffic?

What are some good 1-bed apartments (possibly luxurious) in East Windsor/Robbinsville area? My budget is $1500 / month. If not these areas, what location will you suggest which are nearby and within commutable distance to mt. laurel?

I have asked too many questions :P But I am confused and hope some of you might be able to address them.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Distance-wise, it's longer than I would like to commute, but it's nearly all down the Turnpike, or better yet, 295 (avoid the tolls and they run parallel for that stretch), and you are reverse commuting, so time-wise it should not be terrible. Looking at maybe 45 minutes. Robbinsville would be slightly closer. It is also a step up from East Windsor in terms of socioeconomic status and therefore expense.

$1500 a month for a luxury 1 bedroom might not cut it though. It looks like there is a garden apartment complex in that range. It's not luxury though. East Windsor seems to have more options, but again, all garden.

I would not describe either Robbinsville or East Windsor as "vibrant and happening" though. They are pretty standard and generic suburbia. There is a small downtown in Hightstown, which is a separate municipality that East Windsor completely surrounds, but it's rather modest. You would be about equidistant to Bordentown and Princeton, which are more happening, and Princeton in particular is really on another level. Edison is still quite a trek away from Robbinsville and East Windsor though. It's equidistant from Robbinsville as Mt. Laurel, but a morning commute going north would be more congested and slower, I would think. And although plenty of Indians live in Edison, the actual Indian cultural hub is technically in Iselin, which is a neighborhood in Woodbridge, the next town over from Edison and just a tad further away.

Fact is that the reverse commute you are doing is that you are living in a higher cost-of-living area than you are commuting to (not saying Mt. Laurel is cheap though, because it's not), which is also the opposite of what most do. Not trying to put blanket statements on here, but for your job in Mt. Laurel, if you were to do that same job further up north more in the Robbinsville vicinity or Princeton, you would probably be paid a little more, so by choosing to do this reverse commute, you are giving yourself a bigger hit in your wallet than would otherwise be necessary. But if you are trying to strike a compromise to be near Edison, that is a good choice.

The commute should be fairly tolerable (people will say anything under an hour during the peak commuting periods is good). However, your budget either needs to grow above $1500, you need to settle on a non-luxury apartment, or you need to look in cheaper areas such as the southern portion of Hamilton or further south into Burlington County.

Last edited by Leps12; 05-01-2018 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Agree with Leps12.
1500/mth does not get "luxury" in this area but it can get you safe and livable.

I suggest looking in Plainsboro, NJ. Large Indian population, Big Bazaar grocery and several Indian restaurants.

There are many 1 bedroom apartments in your range, Deer Creek, Hunters Glen, The Crest etc.

Don't know what your wifes commute would be but yours would be 45 minutes (as Leps12 stated).

Plainsboro is very close to Princeton which is the most "happening" town in the area.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,884 times
Thank you Leps12 and jerseyj for the great insight and quick responses. It will surely help.

Ideally, I would want to stay in cherry hill if my wife can also find a job nearby. I might sign a short-term lease there and wait till my wife gets a job and then move whichever place makes more sense for both of us.

Any suggestions for apts in cherry hill?

Thanks, again!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Check out The Grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey