Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Everything should be 18, including drinking, tobacco, gambling, and quite frankly any other drug out there that is currently illegal (not just weed). Drivers licenses can be less than 18.

If the legal system considers you to be an adult, then you should be able to make adult decisions. Period. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t have smart laws in place, especially when it comes to guns. And there is a difference with guns, because unlike any drug or alcohol, a gun’s PRIMARY purpose is to do harm to other living beings. That is what they are made for. Whether it’s for “protection” or not doesn’t matter. It’s still about inflicting damage on someone else, so there should be stricter laws in place. Gun ownership should not be an unfettered right. One needs to prove themselves responsible, mentally capable, and safe. But it should, like everything else, be 18.
I agree with you, makes sense, but there should be much more going on then just raising the age....

I think everyone who is able to obtain a drivers license, should have to go thru training for a gun...and rifle ownership, which hunters already have to accomplish. Like you say, one has to prove themselves responsible and mentally sound....so at that time, a medical doctor should have to examine a candidate, and let the state know, if the patient is medically sound, or if there is a history of mental illness.

And these laws need to be enforced to the letter.....

I'm all for raising the age for driving, I don't believe a lot of kids, not all, but a lot of kids are not mature enough at 16 to drive.

So make it 18 across the board.

I remember when I was young, they had lowered the drinking age in NJ to 18, which meant, younger kids could obtain a fake ID, to show, and you had a whole lot of accidents, kids being killed,so they raised the age back up to 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Nonsense! I too agree that everything should be 18.

So, an 18, 19 and 20 year old can join the military and shoot guns until the cows come home, but can't purchase a gun in NJ when they are home on leave.....

Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you, makes sense, but there should be much more going on then just raising the age....

I think everyone who is able to obtain a drivers license, should have to go thru training for a gun...and rifle ownership, which hunters already have to accomplish. Like you say, one has to prove themselves responsible and mentally sound....so at that time, a medical doctor should have to examine a candidate, and let the state know, if the patient is medically sound, or if there is a history of mental illness.

And these laws need to be enforced to the letter.....

I'm all for raising the age for driving, I don't believe a lot of kids, not all, but a lot of kids are not mature enough at 16 to drive.

So make it 18 across the board.

I remember when I was young, they had lowered the drinking age in NJ to 18, which meant, younger kids could obtain a fake ID, to show, and you had a whole lot of accidents, kids being killed,so they raised the age back up to 21.
I don’t mind he current system and ages for drivers licenses. Each state is different. I think the permit at 16, Cinderella license at 17, and full license at 18 that NJ does is pretty fair. I think you do want to give those kids in the upper half o high school some independence, not just socially but also so they can be able to drive to part time jobs and the such.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
This is another over reach to achieve insignificant statistical safety.

Unethical Political attempt to lull voters into a false sense of security.

To repeat again for the umpteenth time.....

To purchase a firearm in Nj requires a firearm id card.

To get a firearm id card you must release your medical/ mental health records

Get fingerprinted and run against the national database

Provide three references the cops do check

Complete a form regarding past arrests, drug use, etc etc.

After many weeks or months you might get a FID card.

When you get a FID card you can purchase a BB gun, rifle or shotgun. You cannot leave the store before the FFL federal firearm licensed dealer runs your driver license against the NICS natl criminal database.

If you take your firearm in for repair the FFL has to run your driver license against the NICS database in case you are under pending charges or violations since you were approved to get a FID.

To buy a pistol, repeat the process and permit good for about 60 days with possible extension approval.

NJ allows kids to hunt beginning with a jv pemit at 13 and fully certified to buy a hunting license at 14. The permit to use a rifle requires the hunter to be 18 years old. Before you can get a hunting license or rifle permit you must pass a safety course and get a signed card by the instructor.

Any Nj FID holder should be grandfathered in to express passenger boarding because the background check a FID requires is far more stringent than that required for express boarding.

Laws have been passed to raise the age for tobacco use, drinking, buying box cutters, spray paint , glue, etc. Most kids have older siblings, friends and relatives from which to steal or borrow a gun.

How effective have they been?

We await legalization of pot. You'd think all we need is a law based on age and problem solved.

what needs to happen is jv records be opened, otherwise a felon in diapers will be cleared to buy a firearm when released from jv prison.

Prison system needs to be dismantled and reconstructed

Activist judges need to go away, along with prosecution of administrative firearm law violators treated as if they were career criminals and murderous gang members.

Prosecutors who plead down felonies for a win which make violent criminals appear to be convicted of non violent crimes and early release must be reformed

Type in 'guns' stolen' and fill in a city or state and discovered thousands of guns are stolen daily from LE, state and federal armories, gun shops and individuals. Address firearm storage, that would be huge!!!

NJ has a 3 year mandatory sentence for crimes committed with firearms. Hasn't helped. Famous sports figure blows away his chauffer with a shotgun and walks. No 3 year mandatory for celebs in Nj.

what needs to happen is prosecution of applicants who lie on the required forms to get a firearm id.

names of felons and others exempted form owning firearms need to be entered into the nics database. Pressure state, local and federal agencies to keep databases updated.

Raising the age of legal purchase will have zero impact on the legacy of continuing crime that continues in this state which has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

What that tells you is that legislators are ignoring huge clues which reveal crimes to be predictable in location, frequency and pool of repeat offenders.

Kids will not be safer in schools if the age is raised.

NJ's murder rate will not drop if the age is raised.

If the gang/drug related murders in Nj were to be stopped, firearm related crime and deaths in Nj would be dwarfed by other causes of death and drop down the list to vie for last place.

Until legislation is directed at the criminals who do most of the killing, we must conclude the ultimate intent of laws like raising the age from 18 to 21, is to willingly sacrifice innocent lives today to achieve the theoretical elimination of firearms at some distant future date. after all, theory tells us, no firearms, no firearm deaths. Raising the age to purchase is an effort to achieve that theoretical goal which falls apart when it meets reality.

Newark's murder rate exploded from a death a month since the 60s to 2 plus a week under Corey booker and the very strict NJ gun laws. \

Murphy is on track to keep the murder rate at record levels while granting exemption from the law to the people who do most of the killing and in very predictable locations.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I don’t mind he current system and ages for drivers licenses. Each state is different. I think the permit at 16, Cinderella license at 17, and full license at 18 that NJ does is pretty fair. I think you do want to give those kids in the upper half o high school some independence, not just socially but also so they can be able to drive to part time jobs and the such.
yes, I agree with that, but when I observe my grand daughter, I don't think kids at 16 are mature enough to drive, not all, some are more mature than others but, I think you understand what I mean...

Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This is another over reach to achieve insignificant statistical safety.

Unethical Political attempt to lull voters into a false sense of security.

To repeat again for the umpteenth time.....

To purchase a firearm in Nj requires a firearm id card.

To get a firearm id card you must release your medical/ mental health records

Get fingerprinted and run against the national database

Provide three references the cops do check

Complete a form regarding past arrests, drug use, etc etc.

After many weeks or months you might get a FID card.

When you get a FID card you can purchase a BB gun, rifle or shotgun. You cannot leave the store before the FFL federal firearm licensed dealer runs your driver license against the NICS natl criminal database.

If you take your firearm in for repair the FFL has to run your driver license against the NICS database in case you are under pending charges or violations since you were approved to get a FID.

To buy a pistol, repeat the process and permit good for about 60 days with possible extension approval.

NJ allows kids to hunt beginning with a jv pemit at 13 and fully certified to buy a hunting license at 14. The permit to use a rifle requires the hunter to be 18 years old. Before you can get a hunting license or rifle permit you must pass a safety course and get a signed card by the instructor.

Any Nj FID holder should be grandfathered in to express passenger boarding because the background check a FID requires is far more stringent than that required for express boarding.

Laws have been passed to raise the age for tobacco use, drinking, buying box cutters, spray paint , glue, etc. Most kids have older siblings, friends and relatives from which to steal or borrow a gun.

How effective have they been?

We await legalization of pot. You'd think all we need is a law based on age and problem solved.

what needs to happen is jv records be opened, otherwise a felon in diapers will be cleared to buy a firearm when released from jv prison.

Prison system needs to be dismantled and reconstructed

Activist judges need to go away, along with prosecution of administrative firearm law violators treated as if they were career criminals and murderous gang members.

Prosecutors who plead down felonies for a win which make violent criminals appear to be convicted of non violent crimes and early release must be reformed

Type in 'guns' stolen' and fill in a city or state and discovered thousands of guns are stolen daily from LE, state and federal armories, gun shops and individuals. Address firearm storage, that would be huge!!!

NJ has a 3 year mandatory sentence for crimes committed with firearms. Hasn't helped. Famous sports figure blows away his chauffer with a shotgun and walks. No 3 year mandatory for celebs in Nj.

what needs to happen is prosecution of applicants who lie on the required forms to get a firearm id.

names of felons and others exempted form owning firearms need to be entered into the nics database. Pressure state, local and federal agencies to keep databases updated.

Raising the age of legal purchase will have zero impact on the legacy of continuing crime that continues in this state which has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

What that tells you is that legislators are ignoring huge clues which reveal crimes to be predictable in location, frequency and pool of repeat offenders.

Kids will not be safer in schools if the age is raised.

NJ's murder rate will not drop if the age is raised.

If the gang/drug related murders in Nj were to be stopped, firearm related crime and deaths in Nj would be dwarfed by other causes of death and drop down the list to vie for last place.

Until legislation is directed at the criminals who do most of the killing, we must conclude the ultimate intent of laws like raising the age from 18 to 21, is to willingly sacrifice innocent lives today to achieve the theoretical elimination of firearms at some distant future date. after all, theory tells us, no firearms, no firearm deaths. Raising the age to purchase is an effort to achieve that theoretical goal which falls apart when it meets reality.

Newark's murder rate exploded from a death a month since the 60s to 2 plus a week under Corey booker and the very strict NJ gun laws. \

Murphy is on track to keep the murder rate at record levels while granting exemption from the law to the people who do most of the killing and in very predictable locations.

huh, this makes a lot of sense, thank you for doing the leg work, yes, that's what I thought, especially after hearing a candidate's commercial this morning, she says, she's not afraid to get tough with the NRA, most of us voters, do not know what laws are already in place, and it is our responsiblity to do so.

The murder rates in Philly are also, at an all time high....they do this to get the votes...

Thank you

Old 05-14-2018, 03:56 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Maybe you could explain to me, how this will help?

What exactly will this do, to keep people from shooting each other?

do you know there are more children killed in auto accidents than in mass shootings?

why not raise the age then on everything, across the board, 21 for driving, legal possession of a gun and a military join, and drinking.
I would be fine with raising the age to 21 for all of those things. And let's add legal non-medical marijuana in there while we're at it

Old 05-15-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
In florida they just raised the age to 21 after the Parkland shootings. And florida is a gun friendly state. You can get a concealed carry permit after a 2 hour instruction. Not agreeing with the new proposal.
yeah, people are really amazing, they feel they have to do something, so they pull a lame scheme like this, so now they feel like they've done something constructive and can get back to their plastic bubbles that they've created for themselves, instead of facing the problem, questioning why it happened, what caused the kid to do this, and I would be willing to bet, he was bullied and wanted it to stop...(not that I side with him, however) this kind of thing takes years of bad parenting....in other words, their parents were probably raised to have prejudices against people who are not like others, so they talk about them in front of their kids, and their kids think it's ok to do the same in school....but they become violent, pushing and shoving the kids...making them feel less than a human being....and then they push for gun laws.....

I've talked to many people who have been coaches and quit due to how bad and mouthy the parents are. And if the parents are like that, chances are the kids will be also....

Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I would be fine with raising the age to 21 for all of those things. And let's add legal non-medical marijuana in there while we're at it
so no one can seem to explain, how raising the age to 21 will avoid other mass killings in school?

I think parents should start teaching their kids to embrace diversity, including autistic and handicapped children. This bullying has to stop...and I believe that is what drives kids to do this...they are outcasted, have no friends, and they so want to be like the other kids.

I have a cousin whose grand child is autistic, and he is bullied so badly, he said, he wanted to die. It is pathetic, that children are not taught to have better manners and mouths.

Just last night, I was reading an article on FB about someone who caught a mother calling her children Fing more bad words, in Walmart....some other woman came on and bragged about how she also has a potty mouth, and these people breed?

this is where the kids get it, you want mass shootings to stop, teach your kids to accept those who are different.

The last mass shooting in Florida, the didn't report about the kid, and why he did it, did they? No, b/c they have an agenda....so they use this, to push their agenda, instead of reporting how bad kids are in school.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
so no one can seem to explain, how raising the age to 21 will avoid other mass killings in school?

I think parents should start teaching their kids to embrace diversity, including autistic and handicapped children. This bullying has to stop...and I believe that is what drives kids to do this...they are outcasted, have no friends, and they so want to be like the other kids.

I have a cousin whose grand child is autistic, and he is bullied so badly, he said, he wanted to die. It is pathetic, that children are not taught to have better manners and mouths.

Just last night, I was reading an article on FB about someone who caught a mother calling her children Fing more bad words, in Walmart....some other woman came on and bragged about how she also has a potty mouth, and these people breed?

this is where the kids get it, you want mass shootings to stop, teach your kids to accept those who are different.

The last mass shooting in Florida, the didn't report about the kid, and why he did it, did they? No, b/c they have an agenda....so they use this, to push their agenda, instead of reporting how bad kids are in school.

Raising the age, isn't going to prevent a thing, if a kid or adult want a gun bad enough, their going to get them, regardless how old they are....sheesh? What has happened to intellect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey