Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,889 times

Advertisements

I was in the AP area for Memorial Day weekend. I visit a few times a year, and I have noticed that over the past few years the transformation has been rather remarkable. I'm in my mid-twenties, so I appreciate that there are a lot of fun night life options that are slightly more low key than the craziness of some of the other shore towns. The restaurant and bar scene is complemented by some fairly hip retail, etc. along the lines of what you might find in Brooklyn. I imagine the huge new condo complex going up downtown will only accelerate the growth.

It wasn't all peaches and cream, however. When my friends and I were leaving on Sunday, the train station was full of skells. There was disorderly conduct, drug dealing and such going on. I heard one guy yelling to another about how his crew just got out of jail this week... The police station is right next door, so the police showed up to turn them out after a while. This sort of thing doesn't really bother me too much, but I was a smidge uncomfortable and I imagine others with more delicate sensibilities might be really turned off.

All that being said, I'm kind of wondering why Asbury hasn't really blown up yet as a hot spot for New Yorkers in the summer. Obviously it isn't the Hamptons, but I would think that Williamsburg types and just younger people in general would be more aware of the area. I am actually bit worried that might kind of ruin the place for us New Jerseyans. Curious what others think the future holds for AP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:27 AM

232 posts, read 278,482 times
Ap is definitely my favorite town on shore nowadays. Great food, bar scene, music, fashion , beach, boardwalk , you can rent bike to get around and on and on. Im straight guy but cant refuse gay community influence for rebuilding town.yes pass railroad tracks is rough but that slowly change.many interesting character to meet for sure. I just hope ap not turn into sterile rich people place.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Because the surrounding neighborhood has not gentrified enough. Why don't you venture away from the beach and checkout the area.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
I feel like it *has* blown up. I know a whole contingent of Hobokenites (Hobokeners? I don't know the word) that are buying up shore houses there, when in the past they would have only wanted to buy in LBI, Manasquan, etc.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
I have a couple of Yuppster (as I like to call them) friends in Brooklyn that know about it and want to/have gone there when they have no desire to visit anywhere else in NJ ... so it's well known.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I feel like it *has* blown up. I know a whole contingent of Hobokenites (Hobokeners? I don't know the word) that are buying up shore houses there, when in the past they would have only wanted to buy in LBI, Manasquan, etc.
My friend and her husband bought a house in Asbury almost 20 years ago when it first looked as if it was going to gentrify. They rented it out all these years and ended up living and working overseas. Now that they are back in the States and living in Queens, they took possession after the last tenant left and fixed it up and are going to use it as their shore house.

I'm supposed to meet her there in a couple of weeks, so I will check out the house and the neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM

239 posts, read 379,474 times
The Brooklynization of Asbury Park has been going on for several years. The NY Times has done a number of trend pieces on it.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM

10,480 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Gentrification had been happening for a decade now. The problem with Asbury Park is that the boardwalk is fine, but travel 6 blocks back and statistically speaking you are very high risk of becoming a victim of a violent crime. Its the most dangerous city per capita in NJ and very high ranked in the nation.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Gentrification had been happening for a decade now. The problem with Asbury Park is that the boardwalk is fine, but travel 6 blocks back and statistically speaking you are very high risk of becoming a victim of a violent crime. Its the most dangerous city per capita in NJ and very high ranked in the nation.
Why is it so dangerous?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 PM

10,480 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Why is it so dangerous?
By visiting Asbury Park you have a 1 in 71 chance of becoming a victim of Murder, Rape, Robbery and assault (one of highest in the nation) Statistics are here.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-12-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey