Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 11:18 AM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some parts of Passaic County are much nicer than some parts of Bergen County. The OP lives in Bergenfield. Compare that to Ringwood or Pompton Lakes. Yes, it is further to live upcounty Passaic.

Wayne is a good suggestion. However, in a short time, someone is likely to come screaming up in here that WAYNE FLOODS!

Wayne is a huge town. There are two high schools. Wayne Valley, and Wayne Hills because of the geography. Do you think the people who live in the part called "Wayne Hills" experience flooding?

As a matter of fact, the flooding only happens in the parts--get this--NEAR THE RIVERS. Crazy, I know.

But good town with different sections/prices/neighborhoods/commuting options.
Wayne has plenty of areas outside the flood zone areas that flood.

I lived in Wayne for 20+ years. We were nowhere near the "flood zones/streams/rivers/lakes" and our sump pump ran all the time when it rained. As long as we had power, we did not flood, but if the power went out the basement would flood. There are vast areas of Wayne that need sump pumps and it is not in the obvious flood zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:38 PM

47 posts, read 90,092 times
yes, NJmann. That's another reason to be in Bergen Co. The proximity to NYC as I do go in often, at least once a week. THANKS!

Old 06-04-2018, 12:41 PM

47 posts, read 90,092 times
I know Mightyqueen801. Doesn't make sense, does it! HA! My taxes are what's really driving me to Paramus.. But I'm open to other towns too! thanks for this! (Wayne won't work for us now as we need to stay in Bergen) thanks much!

Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
If your husband works in Wayne, I would look at Wayne. I think it's similar to Paramus in a lot of ways.

Maybe Oakland too depending on where in Wayne he works, it could be a nice short commute

Old 06-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Mahwah is another good option if you need to stay in Bergen

Old 06-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

I lived in Wayne for 20+ years. We were nowhere near the "flood zones/streams/rivers/lakes" and our sump pump ran all the time when it rained. As long as we had power, we did not flood, but if the power went out the basement would flood. There are vast areas of Wayne that need sump pumps and it is not in the obvious flood zones.
And I lived in Ridgefield Park and every time it rained really bad my husband had to shop vac out the water (because we didn't have a sump pump)

Flood zone is a technical definition. Wet basements are a whole other thing and are everywhere

Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I reread your OP, and it said you are looking for a smaller-town community feel. Have you looked at Midland Park, or its neighboring "sister" town, Waldwick?

I grew up in Midland Park. Returned there to raise my daughter. Small town (pop around 7K, 1.3 square miles), less expensive than neighboring Ridgewood or Wyckoff, decent schools, good parent network because its easy to get to know people in a smaller school setting. Might be worth a look.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:36 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,247,714 times
For less traffic, more small town feel, good schools, look st Harrington park, Haworth, maybe Westwood. Paramus has too many bad roads and too spread out which make carpooling to after school games and activities a pain.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

69 posts, read 93,676 times
I lived in Paramus for a while before I got married and enjoyed living there. Schools are good as are many of the sports programs. It will always be an attractive town due to the taxes and amenities. You will get a community feel from your neighborhood as they are quite different across the town. Currently I live in River Edge and love it. Yes taxes are high but there is a great community here that is involved. My daughter attends Roosevelt and is involved in sports and girl scouts and we have met many wonderful people throughout town. I would definitely consider River Edge and surrounding towns. Keeping taxes down is great but you want to be sure you pick the right town and right community for your family.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:41 PM

962 posts, read 540,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

There is a difference between a flood zone and a high water table. As a resident of Wayne, I too live in an area with a pretty high water table. During bad rain storms our sump pumps put in some hard work. But as long as the power doesn't go out, and as long as our generator keeps the sump pump going, the basement will be dry, no worrying about the Pompton River claiming our home.

People all over the place live in areas with high water tables. It's kind of a crapshoot, and things like that even change. Can't really make a sweeping generalization because your home (and mine) are on land with a high water table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey