Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 66,075 times

Advertisements

I have a job in NJ(29.000 per year), decent but not well paid. My best friend lives in CA Irvine and told me that is far better than NJ.
I never walked out of NJ though except NY.
Can anybody that experienced both states, help me with some tips? Is it true that taxes or the cost of living is better or equal in CA than in NJ? what about traffic and trasportation? How much an apt or condo can cost?
Thankx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
It depends ENTIRELY on what you want. What do you do for a living, where in CA would you live, where in NJ do you live, what are your expectations for California, are you satisfied/happy with NJ (why/why not), there's a bit more in it than just NJ vs California. They're both VERY diverse states.

Also, I do know of people who have moved to California and moved back (Vineland to San Francisco and back to Vineland) because even though they loved San Francisco, they liked NJ better (they went back to their home town to open a successful bakery). It's all a matter of personal taste.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
CA is probably more expensive and their budget problems are way worse than NJs. With that said it is Cali....

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjana View Post
I have a job in NJ(29.000 per year), decent but not well paid. My best friend lives in CA Irvine and told me that is far better than NJ.
I never walked out of NJ though except NY.
Can anybody that experienced both states, help me with some tips? Is it true that taxes or the cost of living is better or equal in CA than in NJ? what about traffic and trasportation? How much an apt or condo can cost?
Thankx
I've lived in both California and New Jersey. Some different scenery for sure, but that's about it. Life is what you do, not where you live. People who move around to change their lives rarely change their lives, but do manage to change the scenery.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
CA is by far alot better location. Both states are extremely expensive to live in so that equals each other out. San Diego might just be the best location in the country.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
Lucjana:

I agree with Todd generally-speaking. But more important than the comparison between the two states is the reasons for choosing either one (like jknic wrote). It's much easier to figure out where you want to go if you know the experiences in life that are important to you personally.

I couldn't disagree more with the comment above about life being "what you do, not where you live". Maybe they weren't talking about jobs or careers?

I've often been passionate about my career, but luckily I've had sage older people in my life who warned me that life is about the quality (self-perceived) of every moment. If you read city-data long enough, you'll find posts from people who have relocated because of a multitude of reasons some of us would find odd. Like sunrises, sunsets, salt air, the walk to work every day, the safe neighborhood at night, the proximity to skiing, the desire to be closer to family, the desire to be farther away from family, the hot dogs at the local ball park, the ability to retire early, the local rep theatre, ETC.

To spin off of Forrest Gump: Life is like a coloring book. Choose your favorite page and then fill in the colors.

City-Data can help you choose a page. But you have to give us some more info about what you want in your picture (your life) once you're there!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Both states have an extremely high cost of living so unless you make more money there you are going to have much of the same lifestyle there as you would have here. 29K is not going to get you into a better neighborhood there than it would here or go any further.

I think the things you should consider are:

1) Do you like warmer weather all year round or do you enjoy more marked seasonal changes and winter weather

2) How important is your support system to you and your current lifestyle (ex: do you have kids? Do you really on some one here in NJ to help you care for them? Do you have a lot of family here that you spend a lot of time with? Do the people in your life run errands for you? Is someone who needs you going to be in a tough spot if you leave? Do you make new friends easily? Are you okay with spending a lot of time home alone?)

3) Do you thrive on routine and are frustrated by new things? Or do you love adventure and hit the ground running.

I don't think either state is "better" in totality, it's all going to depend on what your looking for and what you are expecting to happen. If you go into this with a sense of adventure and an opportunity to meet new people and enjoy some new scenery it could be really great. If you go into it expecting some kind of Cinderella story and that the same money will go further, your going to be disappointed.

If I was young, single, childless AND had a job offer in CA--i'd go in a heartbeat. Afterall NJ is not going anywhere if I don't like it I can come back. But without a job in this economy I would NOT leave.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I lived in Long Beach CA and find both California and New Jersey to be excellent states. I do find however that California was more expensive, but although I like California greatly I still prefer NJ for its Northeast corridor location and proximity to major urban centers.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 66,075 times
I moved here from Romania theree months ago in my aunt's house. now the situation is being unconfortable living all together and I'm seeking an apt in NJ but it's difficult without someone that gives me info. a cousin of my husband that lives in CA called us to join him there. in one hand, I didn't start to invest on smth, I have a doughter of 4 but she stays home for the moment, my job is not something I can regret, so staying or leaving is the same: I had to fight anyway. On the other hand I'm not sure if the opportunities of working in CA are the same as in NY. In three months I found 2 jobs not wellpaid but I tried. In CA I don't know how much can be the rent of 1 bedroom and bathroom, the school for my child, the period of staying unemployed? but I have someone that can help me and staying me close. that's troubles me!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjana View Post
I moved here from Romania theree months ago in my aunt's house. now the situation is being unconfortable living all together and I'm seeking an apt in NJ but it's difficult without someone that gives me info. a cousin of my husband that lives in CA called us to join him there. in one hand, I didn't start to invest on smth, I have a doughter of 4 but she stays home for the moment, my job is not something I can regret, so staying or leaving is the same: I had to fight anyway. On the other hand I'm not sure if the opportunities of working in CA are the same as in NY. In three months I found 2 jobs not wellpaid but I tried. In CA I don't know how much can be the rent of 1 bedroom and bathroom, the school for my child, the period of staying unemployed? but I have someone that can help me and staying me close. that's troubles me!
What do you do for a living? What are your qualifications? I lived in So. CA for 20 years and moved here over the summer with my husband and two kids. We like it better. However, here's my 2 cents: CA unemployment rate is much higher than NJ. Keep that in mind. I would go on a trip, try to find a job first, then quit my current job and move if that's what you want. Rent for a one bedroom apt. can run between $700 to $1000/mo, depending on the area you choose, sometimes even more. Due to high foreclosure rates rents are not cheap right now. Schools are suffering due to the budget cuts. Schools here in NJ are a lot better I think... However, on a positive side, if you get a decent job in CA and save your $$ you can buy some property at some really good prices now, as the market is really depressed.

You have to keep in mind that CA doesn't really have seasons like Romania does. It is sunny most of the time, Christmas time you wear a short sleeve T shirt and your Christmas tree gets dry really quickly, as the temperatures are often in the 90s. How do you feel about that? I personally didn't like it. It seldom rains, hence the dry vegetation and all the fires. Then, if it rains, you get mud slides. Every place has pluses and minuses, it all depends what your priorities are. "Mult noroc!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey