Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,815 times

Advertisements

That's still the cheapest way to get into or out of NYC, $2.75 each way.

The rest? Well.. I guess l, just deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
The ads in the cars suggest that after the PTC work is complete they'll be able to run rush hour trains more frequently, but I'm a little bit skeptical. That sounds like it would cost money and it seems like they're always low on funds.
Well, "low on funds" is an understatement since it's a system that is operated at a huge loss to begin with. Sandy and the other train accidents forced the acceleration of the needed signal replacement and the PTC that is being mandated by the FTA, and the ten-car trains/platforms is to address the increased ridership, but I still don't see how that's going to be enough.

PATH has to be funded by money from the other facilities, but people want a new bus terminal, new airports, a new Outerbridge, etc., so there's a lot of competition for the funding.

As we noted upthread, they are looking at the rail capacity for the region overall, not just the PA, and in an ideal world they would turn it into a cohesive regional system. That probably won't happen anytime soon, but they've got to come up with some ideas and solutions...eventually.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
That's still the cheapest way to get into or out of NYC, $2.75 each way.

The rest? Well.. I guess l, just deal with it.
That's pretty much it. The ferries are a good alternative, but they cost more. For working stiffs who need to keep commute costs down, it's not always an option.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's pretty much it. The ferries are a good alternative, but they cost more. For working stiffs who need to keep commute costs down, it's not always an option.
I think "not always available" is a stretch. Some people may be late, but I would put forth those that needed it for work and not pleasure purposes, and were going to from, say, Newark NJ to 33rd st NYC (which, again, is a rather phenomenal thing for what is now $2.75 each way as it used to be less) .. would be on it earlier, for the sometimes tough JSQ to 33RD switch.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM

I think PATH is resilient. Those old cars, they lasted up until, what... only like 4 or so years ago now? The new ones have TV on them.

I'm not going to deny that it gets amazingly crowded at rush times. They need to do like Boston, and make rail cars that optimize standing room. These cars are marked and have less actual seats.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I think "not always available" is a stretch. Some people may be late, but I would put forth those that needed it for work and not pleasure purposes, and were going to from, say, Newark NJ to 33rd st NYC (which, again, is a rather phenomenal thing for what is now $2.75 each way as it used to be less) .. would be on it earlier, for the sometimes tough JSQ to 33RD switch.
No one in this thread said the bolded, so I don't understand why you put it in quotes, and I am not sure what you mean by this post overall. Can you reword it to express more clearly what you are trying to say?.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
Those tunnels are so tight going into WTC, there's not even a chance for them the capacity with a double decker or wider cars. They are basically like subway cars and will have limited capacity.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Those tunnels are so tight going into WTC, there's not even a chance for them the capacity with a double decker or wider cars. They are basically like subway cars and will have limited capacity.
I don't think the tubes in the river are high enough for double-deckers, either.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:16 AM

12,197 posts, read 7,181,584 times
They need to add a few more cars to each train. Many times the trains don’t even reach the far ends of the stations. I realize that some stations are not as long so they keep the trains short to accommodate the shortest stations but they need to work on lengthening those stations.

Adding just one or two more cars to each train makes a big difference. That is hundreds more they can carry on each train.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They need to add a few more cars to each train. Many times the trains don’t even reach the far ends of the stations. I realize that some stations are not as long so they keep the trains short to accommodate the shortest stations but they need to work on lengthening those stations.

Adding just one or two more cars to each train makes a big difference. That is hundreds more they can carry on each train.
Well, I think that's what that whole "ten-car platforms" program is about.

PATH is expanding station platforms along the Newark to World Trade Center line to accommodate 10-car trains, which allows nearly 400 more passengers per trip when compared to a 7-car train. Additionally, our new computer-controlled signal system will safely reduce distances between trains to help increase system-wide passenger capacity by 20 percent.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/systemwide-upgrades.html

Besides the website, they plaster information about this stuff in all the cars. If you take the PATH, you have to have seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey