Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:58 AM

362 posts, read 494,505 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, what's going on? So I've been on here for a while, posting about moving to NYC, DC, or some other city. Well now, I finally have one job offer in hand, and possibly a second one coming as well. Both of these jobs would be in Midtown Manhattan - the offer I have in hand is for a job near Grand Central Station, while the second company that I'm waiting to hear back from is in the Flatiron District (6th Av & 23rd St).

I've looked at places in Jersey City, Union City, and Queens, and I've narrowed it down to JC vs. UC. I will also be bringing my car with me on this move. About me, I turn 38 next month, single, black male. I don't need to live in the middle of all the craziness and excitement, but as long as I have access to a lot of things, then I'm good. I also don't want to kill myself commuting to and from work.

There are three locations that I'm looking at now as viable options. Two in Union City and one in Jersey City Heights (just outside of Journal Square) - and I like them all for different reasons. I would have roommates in all three locations, but here's a breakdown:

Jersey City Heights (Central & Reservoir Avs) - Two roommates, second floor walk-up. Washer/dryer in the basement. Bedroom has its own outside entrance. Backyard with grill. Street parking, and alternate side for street cleaning. No pass needed for the car - yet. Easy access via buses to Journal Square, Grove Street, Hoboken, and Midtown. $900/month. Utilities would split to about $50-70 a month per person. Access to bars, restaurants, etc....

Union City (Summit Av & 15th St) - Two roommates, first floor. Laundromat is a 5 min walk away, at the most. Backyard patio to relax in. Need parking permit, and parking is tricky. Bus access is best going to Port Authority. $685/month between us. Utils split - roughly $80/month per person. Food options very good, bars could be hit or miss.

Union City (Palisade Av & 20th St) - One roommate, first floor. Washer/dryer in unit. Great view of Manhattan, with a park right across the street. Street parking, no pass needed, and fairly more accessible than the other two places. Hot tub, grill, fire pit in the backyard. Good bus access here too. $850/month with utils included.

Choose one. I'll be making my decision sometime this week on both the job and the apartment. Pretty confident in the direction I'm going in on each. I wanted to put this out there to see what y'all think. Also, I keep hearing about how cramped and crowded the PATH trains seem to get all the time. Is it so bad to the point that someone would consider just taking a bus to Port Authority, and then the subway from there?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:20 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,294,102 times
Union City (Palisade Av & 20th St). Best lifestyle of the 3 choices. Would be even better if you spoke some Spanish.

I've lived in both Jersey City & Union City. Currently in JC past 11 years. My gated complex has a shuttle bus to the Path trains at both Grove Street & Exchange Place. I can take either the World Trade Center train and then the E line in NYC Mid-Town, or I can take the 33rd Street Path and then the D or B line to get to mid-town.

When I lived in Union City I was within walking distance of the relatively new (then) Art Deco inspired Bus Station, which dropped off at the Port Authority Bus Station at 42nd Street. From there you could walk on a nice day, or take a shuttle to the Grand Central Terminal Train Station.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Union City (Palisade Av & 20th St). Best lifestyle of the 3 choices. Would be even better if you spoke some Spanish.

I've lived in both Jersey City & Union City. Currently in JC past 11 years. My gated complex has a shuttle bus to the Path trains at both Grove Street & Exchange Place. I can take either the World Trade Center train and then the E line in NYC Mid-Town, or I can take the 33rd Street Path and then the D or B line to get to mid-town.

When I lived in Union City I was within walking distance of the relatively new (then) Art Deco inspired Bus Station, which dropped off at the Port Authority Bus Station at 42nd Street. From there you could walk on a nice day, or take a shuttle to the Grand Central Terminal Train Station.
Thanks. I don't speak Spanish, but we'll see what happens. That location that you mentioned I felt was the best overall with everything considered. I also know that Jitney buses run through Union City all the time as well. Seems like I would have more peace of mind/calmness in Union City (at Palisade/20th) as opposed to the other places. I really liked the location of the JC Heights spot as well.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 AM

96 posts, read 101,029 times
I live near the jc location. Keep in mind the walk to the path at journal square can be abit of a hike especially in the winter. I do recommend the area though.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c983c View Post
I live near the jc location. Keep in mind the walk to the path at journal square can be abit of a hike especially in the winter. I do recommend the area though.
Yeah, it's about a 20 minute walk. But I think from there I'd catch a bus. There's buses that go up and down Central Ave and Palisade Ave. So I can connect to JSQ, Grove, Hoboken, etc.... Appreciate the recommendation though.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quick update: I didn't get the second job offer after all - so I'm still taking the first one. I will be working next to Grand Central Terminal.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:08 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,544,458 times
I live in that “West Hoboken” section of Union City you’re considering (20th & Palisade). It’s pretty quiet around there by Union City standards. It gets progressively noisy the further west you go. That trail opened up around the reservoir about 2 years ago and it’s a nice place to take a jog. I may me biased here but I think it would be the best of the 3 choices. I don’t think it makes sense to take the Jersey City apartment if you’re going to be taking a bus to the PATH, and then the PATH won’t leave you anywhere near GCT.

Oh, and you definitely need a resident parking pass in Union City. I’m pretty sure you need one for all parts of the city but I’m positive you need one where you’re looking because as I said, that’s where I currently live.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I live in that “West Hoboken” section of Union City you’re considering (20th & Palisade). It’s pretty quiet around there by Union City standards. It gets progressively noisy the further west you go. That trail opened up around the reservoir about 2 years ago and it’s a nice place to take a jog. I may me biased here but I think it would be the best of the 3 choices. I don’t think it makes sense to take the Jersey City apartment if you’re going to be taking a bus to the PATH, and then the PATH won’t leave you anywhere near GCT.

Oh, and you definitely need a resident parking pass in Union City. I’m pretty sure you need one for all parts of the city but I’m positive you need one where you’re looking because as I said, that’s where I currently live.

I hear you, and thanks. Regarding the JC place at Central/Reservoir - the 119 bus runs nearby there and would take me to PABT. But that same bus also runs by 20th/Palisade in UC as well.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,544,458 times
The 123 is the bus that runs along Palisade Ave from JC Heights to PABT

Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The 123 is the bus that runs along Palisade Ave from JC Heights to PABT
You're right, my bad. Either way, there's still options to get to PABT from all the locations. With all the stuff I keep hearing about how overcrowded the PATH is, I'm wondering if the bus into Manhattan is a better option anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey