U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,267 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone my husband and I are looking for our home. We have one daughter. We found one house in Cranford that we like but It is in Hillside AVE School zone. When I checked in great school.con it rated 6/10. I understand all cranford schools are good. Is greatschool.com reliables?Also, Is Cranford a diverse town? We are Asian so we are concerned about this point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 AM

5,569 posts, read 14,140,133 times
I figured by now you'd have a half dozen replies,,, anyway Cranford to me seems an excellent town, diversity never seemed any problem there. I don't know any particulars about the school system myself as my kids did all that in a different county in NJ.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 PM

168 posts, read 464,779 times
All schools in Cranford are great, including Hillside. There are many asians in town as well as other ethnicities. You shouldn't have any concerns as it's a community that is very welcome to diversity.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,748,545 times
Hillside is a fine school, the Cranford rankings have taken a dip recently because of the lack of diversity, I think it's still 90% white. But, frankly, it's because so many people hang onto their houses for sixty years, everyone I know in the schools is interested in getting more diversity so you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,948,084 times
Is this really the set up of the schools, seems really confusing:

Bloomingdale Avenue School (K-2)
Brookside Place School (K-5)
Hillside Avenue School (K-8)
Livingston Avenue School (3-5)
Orange Avenue School (3-8)
Walnut Avenue School (PreK-2)

Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,748,545 times
It is. Mostly because of when the schools were built and the sizes they are. Bloomingdale and Orange Ave are on the far north side, Walnut and Livingston are across the street from each other slightly south-central, and Hillside is on the south side. Brookside is adjacent to the high school slightly on the north side of town.

So it's Walnut-Livingston and then they join Hillside in the 6th grade.
Bloomingdale and Brookside then join Orange in the 3rd and 6th grades, respectively.

And then everyone goes to the same high school. Younger classrooms are around 20 students each, with about 300 students in a graduating class total, so you get to know the 80 students in your school and then merge with another 80 students and then eventually merge with the other 160 students at high school. It keeps the schools themselves manageable, as there are only about 20 classrooms or so in each of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or