Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,551,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I was responding based on the three towns the OP listed. New Providence wasn't one of them. Why Summit? I like the "feel" of it, which is why I didn't really give a reason. It's hard to quantify feel without a lot of words and thought, and I'm working on a 50 hour week right now.

So, very briefly... I like the neighborhoods and the fact that overall it's a little more socio-economically diverse. I like the downtown better than Westfield's, but will admit I'm not that familiar with what Short Hills has to offer in terms of a typical downtown. Summit has lots of direct trains if you want to go into the city. None of these things is really THE reason why, though. Just my own preference.
Sorry , I didn't mean to question you but the OP .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Possibly not!
After all, we frequently get posts from people who mistakenly think that the northern part of Edison Township is a separate town by the name of North Edison, with--supposedly--its own school system, its own police force, etc.

Yes, Short Hills is merely a census-designated locale within Millburn Township, and the kids who reside in Short Hills attend Millburn schools, just like the kids who live in other parts of Millburn Township.
No it's not, Short Hills has it's own little village with Post Office and train station.Yes ,Short Hills does share the amenities of Millburn such as Police , Fire Depts and Schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Hills,_New_Jersey

Old 06-22-2018, 03:44 PM

19,056 posts, read 25,194,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No it's not, Short Hills has it's (sic) own little village with Post Office and train station.Yes ,(sic)Short Hills does share the amenities of Millburn such as Police , Fire Depts and Schools.
Did you actually bother to read the Wikipedia article that you linked? If you did, you would have seen that Short Hills is indeed nothing more than a census-designated locale within Millburn Township, and that it doesn't have its own government.
Why would ANY locale, within ANY township not "share" the amenities of the rest of the township within which it is located?

Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,140,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No it's not, Short Hills has it's own little village with Post Office and train station.
Post offices are Federal. West Orange has two, it's still not two towns. Having another village area doesn't make it two towns either; Montclair has at least three that I can think of (and I think 5 train stations).

Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Did you actually bother to read the Wikipedia article that you linked? If you did, you would have seen that Short Hills is indeed nothing more than a census-designated locale within Millburn Township, and that it doesn't have its own government.
Why would ANY locale, within ANY township not "share" the amenities of the rest of the township within which it is located?

If you read carefully you would see that it was "originally"suppose to be in"Springfield township" in Union county as I said it shares it's amenities with Millburn and yes falls under the Millburn goverment . Stewart Hartshorn did create the Village of Short Hills ....not the census dept of the US goverment.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Post offices are Federal. West Orange has two, it's still not two towns. Having another village area doesn't make it two towns either; Montclair has at least three that I can think of (and I think 5 train stations).
Not talking about now, I was talking about it's creation and yes ,it was created as a "separate town".

Old 06-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Gup Gup started this thread

115 posts, read 203,100 times
Wait what?

Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM

19,056 posts, read 25,194,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Wait what?
Please don't get hung-up on the diversionary discussion of the origin of Short Hills.
Instead, you should just focus on its modern history and its existence as a census-designated locale within Millburn Township.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Wait what?
Check out New Providence.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:18 PM

264 posts, read 604,019 times
Comparing schools in these 3 towns seems a bit silly - we are kind of comparing 9 vs 9.5 etc.
My peeve was/is that Short Hills has this sort of entry barrier/ price point of a million dollars. Summit is not far behind. We chose Westfield because it has homes in a wider range. Since then we've found it to be a nice mix, great community vibe and lots of friendly people. Its still an idyllic bubble,no mistake. Just go with the best house, commute factor and amenities/shopping access that's important you. Your investment if you consider it that, is safe in any of the towns. Get comfortable with climbing taxes, you are several years from actually using the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey