Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM

119 posts, read 152,559 times

Advertisements

My friend owns a home in Hudson County. He is worried because he just found out while researching that his home does not conform to what the City currently mandates for 2 family homes. His home was built in the first decade of 1900s. No parking at all. City zoning laws say all 2 family construction must have one parking space per apartment. His home is non conforming. How can he remedy that? His house would need 2 off street parking spaces. He is worried he might get in trouble with City building dept or won't be able to sell because of this. What should I advise him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
His house is almost certainly grandfathered. My town has the same parking requirement for two-family houses, but there are several streets with older two-family houses that pre-date the requirements, and the residents are allowed to park on the street with a permit issued by the town. I have a two-family house myself (but with parking), and it doesn't meet code in a number of different ways, but it's grandfathered in.

Where are he and his tenants parking now?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Is this in Secaucus? I can’t imagine any other Hudson County town having such a law. Most of the multi family homes all over Hudson County don’t have off street parking.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
the only problem is when/if he tries to do some major renovations. They MIGHT make him put things up to code. No idea how they could do that with the parking unless he did a complete tear down. If there are other houses near by with the same issue, I wouldnt worry. If I were the only one, I would have to think a little (but probably would still do it)

Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Is this in Secaucus? I can’t imagine any other Hudson County town having such a law. Most of the multi family homes all over Hudson County don’t have off street parking.
Union City. All new construction there has off street parking. He parks in municipal garage

Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
His house is almost certainly grandfathered. My town has the same parking requirement for two-family houses, but there are several streets with older two-family houses that pre-date the requirements, and the residents are allowed to park on the street with a permit issued by the town. I have a two-family house myself (but with parking), and it doesn't meet code in a number of different ways, but it's grandfathered in.

Where are he and his tenants parking now?
he parks in municipal parking lot

Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
This is literally how Grandfather Clauses work. The house was built. The code then changed. They don't make every house then suddenly come up to code, everyone would go bankrupt in an instant. I guarantee that the way that house is built wouldn't pass many codes these days from electrical, plumbing, to wall construction, let alone the parking.

So, as mentioned above, if there was significant renovation (they'd have to contact the town to find out the percentage, but assume 50% to be conservative) they'd have to come up to code on things that they change. So if they redo a wall they need to put in new electrical to code but they don't have to go back and change the kitchen or whatever, let alone the parking.

TL; DR: Tell them to stop worrying.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Yep. He's only in for it if he tries to do a major renovation of some sort. You can't predict what renovation will trigger it. But if it does happen you can just say no thanks and cancel the reno.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Existing nonconforming in building department lingo.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:00 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
Union City. All new construction there has off street parking. He parks in municipal garage
Yea I would definitely not worry about that in Union City. Very few older multifamily homes have parking. Even when they do, it’s usually not for more than one car. We park on bus stops and crosswalks over here because that’s how bad it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey