Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 19,082 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My offer got accepted and currently in contract in central jersey, just came back from an inspection. The inspector found metal anomaly in the backyard during the tank sweep and he is suspected it's a septic tank. The report doesn't come out until tomorrow, I am wondering if there anything else I can do to make sure it's not an oil tank or some sort. If it turns out to be an abandoned septic tank should I be worried? The house was built in 1963.

Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Gotta dig. Could be a reinforced concrete septic tank, but could be an oil tank too.

A septic tank that wasn't properly filled in when it was abandoned could become a sinkhole, but that's much cheaper to deal with than an oil tank.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:04 AM

Thank you for your suggestions, I am going to talk to my attorney about this and just want to arm myself with more information, do you know if Ground Penetration Radar any good, and what's the cost for such a service.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
You should be able to check with your town/city health department or Building Department, They should have plans on file for where the septic tank (if any) were placed on the property when it was built,

My guess is at some point the home was connected to sewer?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,078 times
is there any other evidence of abandoned oil service? Cut lines penetrated in basement/craw space? Do other houses in the neghborhood have oil? Are you/they on city sewer?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:36 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
You also need to think about where it is and how it would get used. Oil tanks needed to be filled from a truck that drove onto the property, so is it near the driveway with a possible location for a connection that someone could get to easily? Then the oil had to get into the house to the furnace, and they wouldn't put it fifty feet from the house when ten feet away would do. Even back then they knew tree roots would destroy underground pipes so you'd want your oil tank accessible and near the house.

Septic tanks, on the other hand, are kind of the opposite. Get them away from the house in case something goes wrong. So think about it critically and see if any permits were ever pulled for any tank work at the house.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 AM

The house is connected to the sewer and the house is currently running on gas. The inspector did find 2 holes patched in the basement facing the front yard and he thinks the tanks was inside the basement at some point. He found some metal object about 3' x 5' under the patio with the metal detector, he didn't think that's an oil tank and could be a septic tank or some sort.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:44 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,355 times
well if you dont find out, anyone who might buy it from you in the future will have the same concerns that you do now.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM

yup, that's why I like know if anyone has experience with the GPR, I don't think the seller will tear apart the patio and dig the spot.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Any neighboring houses of similar style? Ours is the same house design as our neighbor's, so we found out fairly easily that the oil tank used to be in the basement since that's where theirs is. Their house isn't oil but nobody has removed the tank yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: