Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:32 AM

33 posts, read 33,352 times

Advertisements

Has anyone left NJ, moved south and then realized it wasn't at all what you thought?

Hubby and I moved to rural SW Virginia two years ago from the Northeast and have yet to turn up anything but p/t jobs. We're both in our 50's, so it is harder to get jobs at our age, but there ought to be more than $10/hr jobs. We both have college degrees.

So we are in a loop of constantly looking for jobs, debating whether to stay or go, and watching our savings dwindle. We are thinking of just packing it in and moving back to NJ.

On the plus side here is the very low crime rate, no traffic and natural beautiful of the area, plus a lot of interesting things to do, from being in a college town.

Odd things about the area - if you don't work at or attend the college, you're out of the loop. If you leave our town (which is a bubble really), there is an alarming rate of poverty and drugs.

Other sad things I noticed - lots of children in foster care, and many people exist on disability and community assistance programs.

My son is in school here and there just doesn't seem to be much of a budget for extra-curricular things or summer programs.

Uprooting everyone will not be easy, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to head back to NJ?

Anyone else gone through this?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
One of my co/worker moved (transferred back) from Atlanta to NJ. But the was mostly to be near family. (He had terminal cancer).

Company paid to have him move ("Transferred") back to the NJ office. Mostly so he would be near family for support and comfort, (He worked one day in the NJ office then went out on disability, I think)

One Other Co/Worker did not like living in the south, and moved back to the NJ office on her dime. The Price shock almost killed her. She had to downgrade her housing from what she had in Atlanta due to the cost differences of housing, and increase in Taxes.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
I moved to Florida years ago, does that count as the south? Anyway, I came back to NJ. Hated the weather, the traffic, and the slow pace. Hard to make a decent living, terrible schools, and too many crazy people. Couldn't pay me enough to live in the south.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie987 View Post
Has anyone left NJ, moved south and then realized it wasn't at all what you thought?

Hubby and I moved to rural SW Virginia two years ago from the Northeast and have yet to turn up anything but p/t jobs. We're both in our 50's, so it is harder to get jobs at our age, but there ought to be more than $10/hr jobs. We both have college degrees.

So we are in a loop of constantly looking for jobs, debating whether to stay or go, and watching our savings dwindle. We are thinking of just packing it in and moving back to NJ.

On the plus side here is the very low crime rate, no traffic and natural beautiful of the area, plus a lot of interesting things to do, from being in a college town.

Odd things about the area - if you don't work at or attend the college, you're out of the loop. If you leave our town (which is a bubble really), there is an alarming rate of poverty and drugs.

Other sad things I noticed - lots of children in foster care, and many people exist on disability and community assistance programs.

My son is in school here and there just doesn't seem to be much of a budget for extra-curricular things or summer programs.

Uprooting everyone will not be easy, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to head back to NJ?

Anyone else gone through this?
I visited northern Virginia before and I liked it! I agree that it is harder to get jobs at your age. My mother is trying to get a full time job (because she was always lazy in the past) and it's tough since she is in her mid-50s.

I'd say you should move back to NJ (Get ready to come back to this expensive state). Southern Virginia sounds lame if children in foster care, people on disability, no budget for extra-curricular things, and you can't leave the neighborhood you live in due to poverty and drugs.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
My parents live in SC and I went to high school there for a few years. I also worked in Atlanta for a summer and spent a lot of time on tour driving all around down there.

You literally couldn't pay me enough to live down there.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I visited northern Virginia before and I liked it! I agree that it is harder to get jobs at your age. My mother is trying to get a full time job (because she was always lazy in the past) and it's tough since she is in her mid-50s.

I'd say you should move back to NJ (Get ready to come back to this expensive state). Southern Virginia sounds lame if children in foster care, people on disability, no budget for extra-curricular things, and you can't leave the neighborhood you live in due to poverty and drugs.
Comparing northern VA to southern VA is like comparing NYC to the most depressed areas of upstate NY. Two different planets.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Comparing northern VA to southern VA is like comparing NYC to the most depressed areas of upstate NY. Two different planets.
Yes. I have a friend (who moved to the DC area 35 years ago from NJ) who lives in Arlington. I visit her occasionally, and I really like that area outside of DC, although the traffic is worse than NJ's. Really. It is!

There are about fifty wineries or so scattered throughout Virginia south of the DC metro area, and so we've taken trips to a few of them. The countryside is beautiful, and when I noted that, she said, "Yes, but a few more miles and the Confederate flags are flying and every stereotype you associate with that is there."

Old 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
My retired aunt came back. Not quite the same situation. She moved to The Villages in Central Florida and hated it. Hated the weather, lack of healthcare, everything.

Anyway, I always say this, as bad as NJ is, you can make a living here if you hustle. Think about what you want for your son as well. Maybe there will be more economic opportunity for him here in the future as well

Look at the whole state too, housing costs don't seem as crushing down near the Philly suburbs

Good luck with your decision

Old 07-03-2018, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 33,352 times
Thanks for your input everyone, and for making me realize I'm not totally irrational.

Sometimes I get up in the morning, see the mist on the mountains, smell the clean air and think I should hit myself on the head with a mallet for wanting to leave this place.

Then, the other day, I went to (yet another) job orientation for an $8.25/hr we'll-call-you-as-needed position. The other two ladies who had been hired f/t were wearing flowered sundresses, cackling away, discussing growing up in the country and whose kin knows whose. And I realized I'm just never going to fit in.

Time to start planning our escape.

Last edited by Carrie987; 07-03-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 03:50 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
No, but this doesn't surprise me. Unless you are from the South, they aren't going to be welcoming to you there. That's how the red states are. Unlike NJ which is accepting of all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey