Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 PM

31,748 posts, read 26,706,619 times

Advertisements

Interesting...

https://www.app.com/story/money/busi...rom=new-cookie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 07:16 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
they are probably having kids. Plus, many towns are connected by trains. Housing in NYC is very expensive and the public schools are terrible.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
The suburbs were never cool and never will be. But yeah, they're having kids.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,483,550 times
Has nothing to do with "cool"

They are just tired of living in a shoebox

Old 07-05-2018, 03:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,040,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I moved from the city back to the suburbs, though I'm a GenXer and I don't have kids.

There's definitely a significant shift.

Back in the 80s/90s, you either lived in the city or you lived in the suburbs. If you lived in the burbs, you went to the city for fun, though there were a couple of places in the suburbs, there wasn't much. Movie theatres, a few Irish bars, a few dance clubs. But pretty much, if you were liberal, artsy, or liked to party you lived in the city.

Now that NYC has become prohibitively expensive, more 20s/30s people are living are shifting towards living in the burbs. Downtown areas have revitalized.

Downtown Morristown, Westfield, New Brunswick, Jersey City, Somerville, Asbury, Montclair have all recently revitalized their downtowns. And they are destinations to go in lieu of taking the train into the city. I'm not familiar with what all those places used to be but I can tell you half of them were either sh@tholes or boring places with a movie theater and a couple of Irish bars. Now, they have lounges, Korean fusion places, Tapas, etc.

That doesn't mean people who live in Chelsea are going to take NJ Transit to hang out in Montclair. It's doesn't have that going on.

But, used to be if being young, hip, liberal, arty, cool was like 6 out of 10 important to you or up, you just lived in NYC. Nowadays, you only move to the city if you're 7.5 out 10 important to be young, hip, liberal, arty, cool, etc. If that makes any sense...

It's also pretty difficult to live in the richest city in the world if you're an artist. So, a lot of them have migrated over to NJ.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM

31,748 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I moved from the city back to the suburbs, though I'm a GenXer and I don't have kids.

There's definitely a significant shift.

Back in the 80s/90s, you either lived in the city or you lived in the suburbs. If you lived in the burbs, you went to the city for fun, though there were a couple of places in the suburbs, there wasn't much. Movie theatres, a few Irish bars, a few dance clubs. But pretty much, if you were liberal, artsy, or liked to party you lived in the city.

Now that NYC has become prohibitively expensive, more 20s/30s people are living are shifting towards living in the burbs. Downtown areas have revitalized.

Downtown Morristown, Westfield, New Brunswick, Jersey City, Somerville, Asbury, Montclair have all recently revitalized their downtowns. And they are destinations to go in lieu of taking the train into the city. I'm not familiar with what all those places used to be but I can tell you half of them were either sh@tholes or boring places with a movie theater and a couple of Irish bars. Now, they have lounges, Korean fusion places, Tapas, etc.

That doesn't mean people who live in Chelsea are going to take NJ Transit to hang out in Montclair. It's doesn't have that going on.

But, used to be if being young, hip, liberal, arty, cool was like 6 out of 10 important to you or up, you just lived in NYC. Nowadays, you only move to the city if you're 7.5 out 10 important to be young, hip, liberal, arty, cool, etc. If that makes any sense...

It's also pretty difficult to live in the richest city in the world if you're an artist. So, a lot of them have migrated over to NJ.
True, true.

You also have the cultural shift towards "inclusion", "equality" and whatever taking hold in many suburbs. Gays, lesbians and even trans no longer have to flee into Manhattan for various reasons. More importantly many of the communities you mentioned are welcoming to families of all sorts including LGBT. This is important now that gays are having kids and want same things as anyone else.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
True, true.

You also have the cultural shift towards "inclusion", "equality" and whatever taking hold in many suburbs. Gays, lesbians and even trans no longer have to flee into Manhattan for various reasons. More importantly many of the communities you mentioned are welcoming to families of all sorts including LGBT. This is important now that gays are having kids and want same things as anyone else.
Correct. 'Freaks' used to flee into the city. Now, they are fleeing back to NJ.

Philly is also taking a lot of millenials.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:44 PM
46H

1,648 posts, read 1,389,456 times
It is the same story repeated for generations in the NYC metro area. When you cannot afford to pay or refuse to pay the exorbitant $$$ for real estate in NYC, plus you want some control over where your kids go to school - the answer is "move to the suburbs".

Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
It is the same story repeated for generations in the NYC metro area. When you cannot afford to pay or refuse to pay the exorbitant $$$ for real estate in NYC, plus you want some control over where your kids go to school - the answer is "move to the suburbs".
When I was young, it was cheaper to live in the city than in the suburbs. Not Manhattan, but definitely Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,214,323 times
NYC isn't as interesting as it used to be. All the weird little businesses and restaurants have been replaced by banks and chains. I've never lived in NYC, but the appeal is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey