Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly taking a job in Newark, NJ and want to live in the Suburbs, away from crime areas for $300-350k I have to be within 50 miles of the job so I don't burden myself through the commute. I was thinking about the areas around Dover but not dover itself due to it being a bad area.

Any suggestions please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 09:36 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspacey202 View Post
I'm possibly taking a job in Newark, NJ and want to live in the Suburbs, away from crime areas for $300-350k I have to be within 50 miles of the job so I don't burden myself through the commute. I was thinking about the areas around Dover but not dover itself due to it being a bad area.

Any suggestions please?
Glad you stated a budget, but can you give us more info? Do you need good schools? Are you looking for rural? Is the shore an option? Do you need a sfh or is a condo/townhouse OK?

There is a sticky at the top of the page with questions. Your answers will help people help you.

Off the top of my head because I live in the area, suggesting someplace like Tinton Falls that has access to everything, including country, parks, and beaches, but still has driving, bus, and train options to Newark (about 40 - 45 miles away).

Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 AM

4,016 posts, read 3,585,357 times
There’s no reason you should live as far as 50 miles away from Newark. Newark is convenient to many towns in both north and central NJ. But like the Mightyqueen said, we need more info

Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,503 times
I need decent schools, baby is still a toddler. I like being near the woods and having privacy but also would like a target or walmart within 15-20 minute drive. It has to be a single family home. I was researching north plainfield but people have said it's not a good area yet the homes are appealing within budget. Any recommendations appreciated.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,227,625 times
Not sure about the commute during rush hour but rockaway may be an option.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,942,073 times
South Amboy

Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM

20,263 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Quote:
I need decent schools, baby is still a toddler. I like being near the woods and having privacy but also would like a target or walmart within 15-20 minute drive. It has to be a single family home. I was researching north plainfield but people have said it's not a good area yet the homes are appealing within budget. Any recommendations appreciated.
I would definitely avoid the Plainfields.

Try western Morris County or the southern parts of Sussex County

Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM

119 posts, read 151,722 times
Montclair, Verona, Cedar Grove, Little Falls.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,478,733 times
Quote:

Any suggestions please?

I'd suggest you give more details on the kind of house you want, so that people can verify that your desirable type of house can be found for $300K-$350K. Mine Hill is a town west of Dover and my parents originally lived there, but the houses are smallish (there are some new houses that are larger). Mine Hill is pretty laid back, but it's just like any other suburb that has basic amenities. You also have the lake there, but the Ledgewood Mall sucks! Suburbs east of Dover can be great too like Rockaway or even Parsippany. Parsippany is a good town, but that is a shorter commute to Newark than anything west of Dover. I live east of Parsippany and I have access to I-280 West by cutting through the town east of me and entering it. But from Parsippany, you would have to travel a fraction of I-80 West, then, join I-280 West to Newark.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:28 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'd suggest you give more details on the kind of house you want, so that people can verify that your desirable type of house can be found for $300K-$350K. Mine Hill is a town west of Dover and my parents originally lived there, but the houses are smallish (there are some new houses that are larger). Mine Hill is pretty laid back, but it's just like any other suburb that has basic amenities. You also have the lake there, but the Ledgewood Mall sucks! Suburbs east of Dover can be great too like Rockaway or even Parsippany. Parsippany is a good town, but that is a shorter commute to Newark than anything west of Dover. I live east of Parsippany and I have access to I-280 West by cutting through the town east of me and entering it. But from Parsippany, you would have to travel a fraction of I-80 West, then, join I-280 West to Newark.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbur...-route-10-work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey