Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It has nothing to do with what trucks does (sic), this is about safety.
Then, why is the title of your thread "Too many truckers in NJ", rather than something like... Too many truckers in NJ take a cavalier attitude in regard to safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Then you're only leaving the right lane for trucks to drive in??

How many people get on the highway and immediately move to the middle lane, and then don't keep up with traffic??
A tractor-trailer then has to pass on the right, where they have to end up dealing with merging traffic, or the people who actually keep right as they are supposed to.

Or how many people merge and DON'T YEILD????

As others said the recent accident had a pickup truck involved NOT a semi. Tractor-trailers have less accidents overall than automobiles. In a sense a pickup truck is just a large automobile.

NJ with the ports, the proximity to NYC and a corridor on the east coast is just going to have more truck traffic. That proximity and the ports are a reason for the growing number of warehouses in central Jersey.

You can't have that kind of growth without trucks today. The Interstate Highway system helped cause this. Then warehouses and industries have located outside the cities with no railroad access.

Get rid of the trucks and how will you get anything unless your grow it in your backyard and at some point even the seeds were on a truck.
Some highways have 4 or more lanes, but in North Jersey it’s mostly 3.
Trucks DO NOT need to speed and go faster than speed limit!

Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The crash you speak of did not even happen in NJ, and it was caused by a pickup truck.
“The truth of the story lies in the details.”
― Paul Auster, The Brooklyn Follies

Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Omw to work this morning a delivery truck and a sedan head on crash. Judging from the scene the truck most likely pulled the turn without yielding to the car and smashed into the corner of the car's nose.

That's the problem I see in NJ a lot of delivery trucks are always in a hurry and do not obey traffic laws.

There's also too many trucks these days in NJ because NJ is now the warehouse for NYC businesses such as Amazon and even Junior Cheesecake. There are more warehouses being built now to meet the demand of NYC and surroundings.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Cars don't need to speed either, but how many are doing 10-20mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out of lanes, etc. etc. Then you have "middle lane Larry" who moves from the on ramp immediately to the middle lane, then does 5mph UNDER the speed limit. For miles traveled cars get into far more accidents than trucks. Unfortunately the truck wins every time in a car/truck accident. Yet I've had idiots brake check me when I'm driving a tractor trailer, for some imagined slight. Careful, a lot of trucks have cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Omw to work this morning a delivery truck and a sedan head on crash. Judging from the scene the truck most likely pulled the turn without yielding to the car and smashed into the corner of the car's nose.

That's the problem I see in NJ a lot of delivery trucks are always in a hurry and do not obey traffic laws.

There's also too many trucks these days in NJ because NJ is now the warehouse for NYC businesses such as Amazon and even Junior Cheesecake. There are more warehouses being built now to meet the demand of NYC and surroundings.
I wasn't there but maybe the car was speeding, and the truck started to make the turn, stopped, and the car driver slammed on the brakes and skidded right into the truck. I had this happen to me, the police officer didn't give any tickets, but on an accident report there are blocks for "contributing factors". The car driver was "driving too fast for conditions", according to the police report. The company I worked for called it an "at fault" accident, just prevented me from getting a safety award.

The funnies thing was about 2 weeks after the above accident, I got a letter from an attorneys office in the town where it happened. In the letter was a copy of the police report and an offer to represent me. I guess I should have fallen out of the truck and claimed my back was injured.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
I just drove past a bunch of trucks they weren't hurting anyone.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
yep there should be a lower speed limit for trucks. I think some states do it but NJ doesn't from what I've seen. Lost count of how many times some idiot trucker flies by at 80mph passing cars on the right then changes lanes with the mentality "oh I'm 20 times bigger so they can let me in". Speeding or any violation in a truck should be 10x the fine and second violation should be suspension of CDL

Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Luckily I avoided Route 78 today, I heard a big accident and it involved a Dumpster truck.

https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...epage-featured

78 is quite dangerous because there's another merges when it joins I-95 and many trucks cuts over to 1/9 from I-78 and I rarely see them on left lane but often they cut traffic off when they need to exit through the tight bends. Route 21/22 is even more dangerous especially when trucks are lining up on the right and some moron is doing 40mph on the left.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Post a truck crash a week as evidence that trucks are out of control.

Ignore 110 fatal passenger car crashes every day in the US.

Trucks represent over 10% of the vehicle-miles traveled in the US, but only 8% of the fatal crashes. And according to NHTSA, in 81% of crashes involving at least one tractor-trailer and at least one passenger car, the passenger car(s) are at fault, and 27% of the time the trucker is at fault (yes that adds up to over 100% because there is shared responsibility sometimes). Many a-holes in Honda Civics don’t seem to realize that an 80,000 pound vehicle cannot stop on a dime and that pulling in front of one and slamming the brakes ends badly.

Are there jerks driving trucks? Yes. But truck safety is serious. Lots of regulations, lots of enforcement. NJSP regularly enforces federal and state motor carrier safety regs and size and weight enforcement, and they have a robust training program for troopers to enforce truck regs. And perhaps this is a reason why deaths in NJ are well below the national average. Truck drivers have to comply with hours of service regs and have to stop when their hours are up, no matter where they are (and good luck finding a place to park wherever you happen to be). Many are on camera at all times. Many have speed regulators on their trucks. Almost all have GPS tracking, often with speed monitoring. They are watched and scrutinized almost every minute. Truck drivers are trained, drug and alcohol tested, and drive over a million miles in a few years’ time. And as good and professional as you are, just one crash, your fault or not (and most are not), can have you fired and black-listed for years or life.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
yep there should be a lower speed limit for trucks. I think some states do it but NJ doesn't from what I've seen. Lost count of how many times some idiot trucker flies by at 80mph passing cars on the right then changes lanes with the mentality "oh I'm 20 times bigger so they can let me in". Speeding or any in a truck should be 10x the fine and second violation should be suspension of CDL
I believe this has been tried in other states (I remember a few years back Ohio). It's very hard to enforce from a police point of view. I doesn't really make roads safer, you end up with cars going all around the trucks going slower. It just ads to congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Post a truck crash a week as evidence that trucks are out of control.

Ignore 110 fatal passenger car crashes every day in the US.

Trucks represent over 10% of the vehicle-miles traveled in the US, but only 8% of the fatal crashes. And according to NHTSA, in 81% of crashes involving at least one tractor-trailer and at least one passenger car, the passenger car(s) are at fault, and 27% of the time the trucker is at fault (yes that adds up to over 100% because there is shared responsibility sometimes). Many a-holes in Honda Civics don’t seem to realize that an 80,000 pound vehicle cannot stop on a dime and that pulling in front of one and slamming the brakes ends badly.

Are there jerks driving trucks? Yes. But truck safety is serious. Lots of regulations, lots of enforcement. NJSP regularly enforces federal and state motor carrier safety regs and size and weight enforcement, and they have a robust training program for troopers to enforce truck regs. And perhaps this is a reason why deaths in NJ are well below the national average. Truck drivers have to comply with hours of service regs and have to stop when their hours are up, no matter where they are (and good luck finding a place to park wherever you happen to be). Many are on camera at all times. Many have speed regulators on their trucks. Almost all have GPS tracking, often with speed monitoring. They are watched and scrutinized almost every minute. Truck drivers are trained, drug and alcohol tested, and drive over a million miles in a few years’ time. And as good and professional as you are, just one crash, your fault or not (and most are not), can have you fired and black-listed for years or life.
I just saw a video earlier where a truck on I95 in FL is cut off by a 70yr old lady pulling right onto the right lane doing about 15mph. The truck ends up going on the median to get around it, then was able to get back on the highway. Unfortunately the driver expects to lose a weeks work while the truck gets inspected. If you go in you tube you'll find probably hundreds of videos where truckers are BEGGING people NOT to pull out in front of them or do something else stupid. They don't want to hit you, an accident can effect their livelihood!
They also don't want to kill or hurt anyone. Yet forums like these keep coming up blaming the truckers, wanting them banned or whatever. Yet everyone wants their goods delivered on time, fresh food at the store, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey